The Hunting Minority

• Thread starter Dmanmastertracker
  • Start date
Yeah, but women who hunt still get doubtful looks and raised eyebrows. Especially when a woman kills a trophy animal. My aunt has been hunting since she was 14. She drew out for the Bookcliffs a few years ago and killed a nice, big buck. I think he scored 199 or something close to that.

Anyway, alot of people, especially the DWR officers, questioned her and asked an awful lot of questions. Noone believed she shot the buck herself. They thought her son shot it for her. Sure he was out hunting with her since her husband is dead, but I can guarantee you she shot that deer herself. There is no way in hell she would've let her son shoot a trophy buck for her on a Bookcliffs hunt. She has always filled her OWN tag. Always.

She's a little stick of dynamite though and put people in their place in a hurry, but STILL....not alot of respect for women hunters. Glad to see alot of guys around here getting their wives and daughters out there to hunt though.

Jenn

Jenn, I see your point and agree that people should be more open minded and trusting, but you know history has a lot to do with why those questions are asked of women. I know you know that and understand it, I'm not trying to belittle you or your aunt.

On the other hand, imagine the look on the judge?s face, and the questions that would be asked, of the man who just won the quilting contest when there's only been one man quilter in the history of Stony County, Idaho and he died 29 years ago . . .

My daughter goes out in the field with me, and she wants to hunt. She will when shes a bit older, but for now she's cool with it and if she stays interested she'll be helping your aunt to change the attitudes of the game station monitors and men generally.

Piece

Dman, you're not going to turn on us now are you? LOL!

Just kidding, but you're right. As we humans detatch ourselves further and further from the land it becomes more important for us to figure out how we can keep hunting alive. And more importantly, how are we going to convince the non-hunters (and not necessisarily anti-hunters) that what we do is socially acceptable. Sobering thoughts.

Have you read either of those books? They seem interesting to me.

Steve

I haven't read them Steve, I more or less posted them as an example of how hunters are viewed as a minority group. The point I was trying to make to a few who probably won't get it, that being insulting on the net to; women, minorities, etc.. shure as hell won't win any points for hunters on this site, or increase participation. It just doesn't benefit any of us.
-the books do look interesting

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom