The way around 90/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly hope WG&F program coordinators are watching this post!

It's my understanding, due to your recent posts on this subject, Wyo G&F are currently drawing up their own RFW plan! Maybe you could be the new NR Ambassador for WYRFW Jim?

In reality, WY G&F are trying to figure out a way to keep point averaging for NR families and not allow guys like you to average for money and favors.

The access yes, walk-in, and hma programs in Wyo are amazing! Colo has similar programs in addition to high quality and high demand RFW hunts. The more access public hunters have to private land the better!

Some access is fine, but animals need places to go where they aren't harassed by hunters non-stop.

It only makes sense to have places where the public isn't allowed to hunt.

If a person really is concerned with quality on accessible lands, maybe try to limit technology, scouting services, things like that.

Long range rifles have impacted quality a lot.

From my understanding ranchers and the WG&F is constantly battling elk and other wildlife that cause crop, fence, and other damage? How much did the WG&F pay in crop damages the past 10 years to ranchers? This is another advantage to the RFW program ....fewer crop damage payments by the WG&F. Thanks for bringing this up! You guys keep making RFW look better by each of your posts!

RFW is a prime example of a tool for opening up a few scattered RFW private ranches across Wyo. There are currently only 27 RFW elk ranches scattered across Colorado. That is only a fraction of the private land in Colorado. It would disperse elk and other game over larger areas and offer cow/doe tags to help control booming populations. There is so much private land and rugged terrain in most of Wyo that you can bet the elk have plenty of places to hide! The WG&F issues an allotted number of cow and bull tags to RFW ranches depending upon population and harvest objectives.

It's to each RFW advantage to manage for quality bucks/bulls, and promote sound wildlife management practices! It would be like slitting their throats to do otherwise!

From my understanding ranchers and the WG&F is constantly battling elk and other wildlife that cause crop, fence, and other damage? How much did the WG&F pay in crop damages the past 10 years to ranchers? This is another advantage to the RFW program ....fewer crop damage payments by the WG&F. Thanks for bringing this up! You guys keep making RFW look better by each of your posts!

RFW is a prime example of a tool for opening up a few scattered RFW private ranches across Wyo. There are currently only 27 RFW elk ranches scattered across Colorado. That is only a fraction of the private land in Colorado. It would disperse elk and other game over larger areas and offer cow/doe tags to help control booming populations. There is so much private land and rugged terrain in most of Wyo that you can bet the elk have plenty of places to hide! The WG&F issues an allotted number of cow and bull tags to RFW ranches depending upon population and harvest objectives.

It's to each RFW advantage to manage for quality bucks/bulls, and promote sound wildlife management practices! It would be like slitting their throats to do otherwise!

I have been thinking about this some and spoke with the local G&F guy today. He thinks 90/10 could be scrapped and maybe with some local support a landowner program like RFW might fly. Landowner tags would come off NR pool and only residents can apply for the 10% that go to the public.

Jim, I think we are onto something here!

Ranchers have lots of options to control elk...its called opening up their land to hunting, not giving them money to encourage even more elk harboring.

Game and Fish issues more than enough tags and have a great access program to compensate landowners that want to allow access.

Don't need RFW to achieve that, the current program works very well.

I have been thinking about this some and spoke with the local G&F guy today. He thinks 90/10 could be scrapped and maybe with some local support a landowner program like RFW might fly. Landowner tags would come off NR pool and only residents can apply for the 10% that go to the public.

Jim, I think we are onto something here!

As long as all the RFW tags were taken from the NR pool...I'm good with that too.

Combined with the public hunters being only Residents, a perfect plan.

Great idea!

As long as all the RFW tags were taken from the NR pool...I'm good with that too.

Combined with the public hunters being only Residents, a perfect plan.

Great idea!

That’s how Colorado’s system is set up. In addition to 100% of the antlerless tags are issued to the public hunters. The downside for the public buck/bull hunters is that they are not allowed access to the property except during the hunting dates set. Scouting would not be an option. Id bet that most outfitters/ranch managers have already located the top end bucks and bulls and will have paying customers hunting them before public gets the chance.

The only benefit would be to the outfitters and landowners...period.

The WGF Department would get a big pain in their a$$ administrating the program, fielding complaints when LO's limit parts of the ranch to paying clients only, when they let the public hunt (always after the paying clients), etc. etc. etc.

It wouldn't increase revenue a single dime.

Not to mention its a dereliction of the North American Model of Wildlife conservation.

Landowners already have an avenue to make all the money they want...and most all the private land in Wyoming is open to the public, just a matter of how much you want to spend for that access.

You know this better than anyone Sebastian, every time you plop down the cash to hunt pronghorn in 62...

Like Jeff said, good luck getting a RFW program off the ground in Wyoming.
Oh WOW, How Ignorant you truly are. Landowners get paid a whopping For owners of 1,000 acres, the rate is $1,260 a year. Bonuses are given for each year of participation. At five years, the 1,000-acre owner will receive $1,512 per year maximum payout. This is for parcels 1000+ acres. You don’t get more for larger walk in area payouts. This is why Wagonhound, Q-Creek and Pathfinder don’t enroll as one hunt at $10,000 pretty much squashes the paltry public payout.

What would it cost G&F to implement the RFW program? What would the annual operating cost be for G&F? How will the program be funded if license quotas are to remain the same?

Oh WOW, How Ignorant you truly are. Landowners get paid a whopping For owners of 1,000 acres, the rate is $1,260 a year. Bonuses are given for each year of participation. At five years, the 1,000-acre owner will receive $1,512 per year maximum payout. This is for parcels 1000+ acres. You don’t get more for larger walk in area payouts. This is why Wagonhound, Q-Creek and Pathfinder don’t enroll as one hunt at $10,000 pretty much squashes the paltry public payout.

Smart enough to realize that not every landowner is looking to just make the cash. There are some really top shelf landowners that just like to give the public opportunity but don't like the hassle of dealing with hunters.

Implementing a RFW program, so that a small handful of hunters per year get on the wagonhound, Q-creek, or pathfinder (I've hunted 2 of the 3 for free), is not worth giving up our wildlife for.

I'd rather not further the commercialization of the public's resources with RFW, and most hunters in Wyoming agree.

Plus, with your draw luck that you claim is so bad you cant even draw unit 102 for deer, you'd have essentially no chance at drawing a RFW tag.

Your neighbor sounds like he may draw though...

I would recommend you move to Utah or Colorado if you like the RFW programs so well...or just scribble a check and hunt the Pathfinder, Q, or Wagonhound.

You have options, use them.

Id bet that most outfitters/ranch managers have already located the top end bucks and bulls and will have paying customers hunting them before public gets the chance.

Look at the RFW public dates. Most don't coincide with the other seasons and may be during a harder time of year to hunt, though all the ranch has to prove is that game is there. The private licenses are reserved to hunt time periods that are most beneficial to the ranches paying clients and the ranch has 90 days to use those private tags. That and a ratio of 9 : 1 or 8 : 2 private vs. public licenses (antlered tags) with very few public tags available makes it hard to understand how the public benefits.

It's my understanding, due to your recent posts on this subject, Wyo G&F are currently drawing up their own RFW plan! Maybe you could be the new NR Ambassador for WYRFW Jim?

In reality, WY G&F are trying to figure out a way to keep point averaging for NR families and not allow guys like you to average for money and favors.
That should be easy enough to do since landowner tags here are for direct family only, should be able to make the same rule for point averaging

I've pretty much stated my case why I believe RFW is a great program that opens up thousands of acres to public hunters that likely are unavailable without such a program. There are a lot of positives. No system is perfect but this is a new option that may work in Wyoming. If you ask me, the current Wyo landowner license deal is a thorn in the throat of Wyo.

Wyo has an open playing field and they can start fresh ad everything from scratch with a new RFW program of their own! The WG&F is in charge of the RFW program. They can establish hunting dates, rules, and regs any way they see fit. If they want to learn from the weakness of the Colo and Utah program they can start a new program that is even stronger than those that exist in other states. If Wyo wants similar hunting dates for both pay clients and public hunters they can do it. The WG&F can make longer season dates for public hunters if they choose? It's all up to them with a new system. I claim to be an optimist rather than a pessimist and think outside the box. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

A RFW program will open up more quality tags....likely to Wyo residents that won't exist without the program. Scrapping the current landowner tag system is a 2nd option with another pool of tags that could potentially be used in many ways.

The original idea of this post was other viable options available instead of dramatic 90/10 cuts to nonres. These are just two examples of thinking outside the box that may offer more tags to Wyo residents without the need to significantly cut nonres tags and all the money that nonres bring to the state of Wyoming.

Last edited:
Smart enough to realize that not every landowner is looking to just make the cash. There are some really top shelf landowners that just like to give the public opportunity but don't like the hassle of dealing with hunters.

Implementing a RFW program, so that a small handful of hunters per year get on the wagonhound, Q-creek, or pathfinder (I've hunted 2 of the 3 for free), is not worth giving up our wildlife for.

I'd rather not further the commercialization of the public's resources with RFW, and most hunters in Wyoming agree.

Plus, with your draw luck that you claim is so bad you cant even draw unit 102 for deer, you'd have essentially no chance at drawing a RFW tag.

Your neighbor sounds like he may draw though...

I would recommend you move to Utah or Colorado if you like the RFW programs so well...or just scribble a check and hunt the Pathfinder, Q, or Wagonhound.

You have options, use them.
I plan on it soon when we get the new CWMU/RFW program in place. Might even let you tag along and watch. Though you’d have to pack for me. LMAO.

Look at the RFW public dates. Most don't coincide with the other seasons and may be during a harder time of year to hunt, though all the ranch has to prove is that game is there. The private licenses are reserved to hunt time periods that are most beneficial to the ranches paying clients and the ranch has 90 days to use those private tags. That and a ratio of 9 : 1 or 8 : 2 private vs. public licenses (antlered tags) with very few public tags available makes it hard to understand how the public benefits.
That is because it wasn’t set up right and poorly managed. In a Wyoming we would do a better job of making sure 20% of all licenses went to the resident public hunters, an equitable season, access to the ranch and annual assessments were conducted to properly manage it and keep public and paying client hunters on equal footing. It can be done right. Deseret in Utah is a good example.

That is because it wasn’t set up right and poorly managed. In a Wyoming we would do a better job of making sure 20% of all licenses went to the resident public hunters, an equitable season, access to the ranch and annual assessments were conducted to properly manage it and keep public and paying client hunters on equal footing. It can be done right. Deseret in Utah is a good example.

Wow, you're a super soft negotiator. A fair deal would be 60% of the tags going to resident public hunters...

Anything less I'd tell the LO's and outfitters to pound sand.

Of course, there is no way Wyoming is implementing a RFW program to start with. The hunters here hate the idea and the GF doesn't need the hassle and would cost them money to administer.

I plan on it soon when we get the new CWMU/RFW program in place. Might even let you tag along and watch. Though you’d have to pack for me. LMAO.

Sort of always figured you for the type that wasn't man enough to pack much of anything...

The WG&F may be seriously considering RFW after reviewing all the benefits.....as we speak! Maybe me and others have connections!

There haven't been any rational explanations why RFW wouldn't be a great program that opens up thousands of acres that currently aren't available to OYO resident hunters!

Just because there are many people on this website that don't agree with your position doesn't mean you need to be aggressively condescending and disrespectful towards others! Ultimately it makes you look ignorant and passive-aggressive in your responses!

The WG&F may be seriously considering RFW after reviewing all the benefits.....as we speak! Maybe me and others have connections!

There haven't been any rational explanations why RFW wouldn't be a great program that opens up thousands of acres that currently aren't available to OYO resident hunters!
I am glad your such an influence with the WY G&F Jim. So good of you to use your connections. Truly the way licenses are allocated in Wyoming may come from your posts on MM.

The only way RFW could happen in Wyoming is if the tags came from the NR allocation and only residents can apply for the percent for public hunters. Or so I have been told. I would definitely support that!

The point I'm trying to make that I don't think many Wyo resident hunters have considered is that this would be an entirely new program and tags wouldn't be taken away from anyone....they would be created! They are additional tags for hunting private land that currently don't exist for public hunters. Currently these ranches are behind locked gates. It can be set up and managed any way the WG&F sees fit. If WG&F set this up for Wyo residents only that's great...at least public hunters have gained access to prime private hunting grounds!

I've listed the benefits above....which are many! I really think it is crazy for Wyo res not to want additional quality hunting opportunities. It's possible to lead a thirsty horse to water but....?

If I was a Wyo resident and had the opportunity to draw a public tag to hunt the Q or Wagonhound Ranches for the cheap price of a resident tag I think I'd be all over it! You guys are saying "no" to that?

This post was created searching for other viable options for Wyo residents and here is one. I may be missing something but think it may be worth investigating a little further....than plain and simple saying "no" without any rational reasons or explanations.

You are absolutely right that I have no influence being a nonres. I may know a few guys but it takes a lot more support than that. Hopefully my thoughts and ideas can be manipulated into something that will benefit Wyo public hunters...and not just tossed to the wind with a simple "no" answer.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a great article about RFW in Colorado. It backs up everything I've stated above. It also mentions that there currently are 3,000 licenses issued through this program every year. It also mentions that the RFW program opened up over a million private acres in Colo to public hunters that currently were behind locked gates.

What do you say Wyo residents? Want another chunk of quality tags that aren't currently available?

Here you go: https://huntscore.com/blog/colorado-ranching-for-wildlife

BFD...10% of the antlered tags and a bunch of cow/calf and doe fawn tags.

I can shoot cow elk, doe deer, and doe pronghorn until my shoulders are black and blue already here. No reason to enter into a RFW program like CO's for that.

Not to mention the 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn, and bull elk every year.

Easy pass...

BFD...10% of the antlered tags and a bunch of cow/calf and doe fawn tags.

I can shoot cow elk, doe deer, and doe pronghorn until my shoulders are black and blue already here. No reason to enter into a RFW program like CO's for that.

Not to mention the 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn, and bull elk every year.

Easy pass...
Talk about a SOFT, SOFT negotiator. 10 percent, NO WAY. 20% Minimum. The tags would all be extra as it’s mostly an untapped resource. The big ranches can’t get enough hunters drawn so the elk numbers just keep increasing. Another 3000 tags per year like Colorado issues is a whole lot of NEW hunting opportunity, NEW REVENUE for the State and a whole lotta meat for the freezers for the common man. You just don’t like it as it takes away your opportunity for those sadomasochists to give you those black and blue shoulders you secretly love.

I just looked up Utah's CWMU program. It sounds like the program is twice as big in Utah than Colo! Utah's CWMU ranches unlock over 2 million acres of private land to public Utah resident hunters! There are 125 ranches in the Utah CWMU program. That's a heck of a lot of ADDITIONAL opportunity that isn't there without the program! With over twice the number of ranches in Utah than Colo I am guessing there may be possibly twice a many tags available in Utah (several thousand?).

Here's a couple links to the Utah CWMU program pages: https://wildlife.utah.gov/cwmu.html

Wyoming residents want additional tags and acres to hunt that currently are untapped? Here you go! No need to take tags away from nonresidents when this opens up new excellent hunting opportunities for Wyo residents that presently don't exist!

Take a look at how much $ nonres bring to the state of Wyo as far as hunting licenses and ADDITIONAL revenue to small town communities! Is it really worth sacrificing this increase in revenue when the Wyo economy is in the dumps with oil and gas boom and bust cycles plus the virus situation? I don't see Wyo cutting nonres tags in the near future with the Wyo economy in the dumps. Makes no sense to me!

The truth is, a RFW or CWMU program has the potential to open up 1 to 2 million private land acres to public Wyo resident hunters. The closer you look at the details of these programs the better they look! Do you want access to ranches similar to the Q and Wagonhound for the price of a Wyo hunting license? Without the program there are thousands if not a million+ acres that are behind locked gates with fewer tags available to public hunters. What do Wyo OYO residents have to loose?

Last edited:
I just looked up Utah's CWMU program. It sounds like the program is twice as big in Utah than Colo! Utah's CWMU ranches unlock over 2 million acres of private land to public Utah resident hunters! There are 125 ranches in the Utah CWMU program. That's a heck of a lot of ADDITIONAL opportunity that isn't there without the program! With over twice the number of ranches in Utah than Colo I am guessing there may be possibly twice a many tags available in Utah (several thousand?).

Here's a couple links to the Utah CWMU program pages: https://wildlife.utah.gov/cwmu.html

Wyoming residents want additional tags and acres to hunt that currently are untapped? Here you go! No need to take tags away from nonresidents when this opens up new excellent hunting opportunities for Wyo residents that presently don't exist!

Take a look at how much $ nonres bring to the state of Wyo as far as hunting licenses and ADDITIONAL revenue to small town communities! Is it really worth sacrificing this increase in revenue when the Wyo economy is in the dumps with oil and gas boom and bust cycles plus the virus situation? I don't see Wyo cutting nonres tags in the near future with the Wyo economy in the dumps. Makes no sense to me!

The truth is, a RFW or CWMU program has the potential to open up 1 to 2 million private land acres to public Wyo resident hunters. The closer you look at the details of these programs the better they look! Do you want access to ranches similar to the Q and Wagonhound for the price of a Wyo hunting license? Without the program there are thousands if not a million+ acres that are behind locked gates with fewer tags available to public hunters. What do Wyo OYO residents have to loose?

Sebastian, any comment on both programs you're crowing about that lock up accessible public lands?

Yeah, probably not going to talk much about that are you.

I'm sure I have read that in Colorado, if a ranch enrolls in RFW, regular license holders for that area cannot hunt accessible public lands within the borders of the enrolled ranch.

The 10% of antlered tags associated with this program would not be worth the opportunity lost by the DIY hunters.

Last edited:
Similar to Wyo's HMA's in Colo any public land that is accessible via a public road is fair game. Good try! You guy's memories are super short.....the WG&F can set up their program any way they like.

So BUZZ, you stated above that you "can shoot cow elk, doe deer, and doe pronghorn until my shoulders are black and blue already here. No reason to enter into a RFW program like CO's for that. Not to mention the 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn, and bull elk every year."

BUZZ, don't you also have a lifetime hunting license in Montana to shoot a bunch more critters up there as a Montana resident?

Talk about selfish and self-centered? We all see how many photos of every buck, bull, and doe you plaster on the web each season! That's not enough? Every Wyo resident could do the same thing so why strip nonres of tags?

If Wyo residents can already harvest that many animals each year why on earth is there a need to take tags away from nonres that bring big $ to Wyo in the form of higher license/tag fees plus ADDITIONAL revenue to small communities?

If public land is landlocked by a RFW enrolled property, that property can petition CPW, and if approved, public hunting is rescinded for that landlocked public property and can only be hunted by RFW hunters.
The public property has to be wholly engrossed by the RFW enrolled property if I remember correctly. Randy was the one who brought up and shed some light on it.

If public land is landlocked by a RFW enrolled property, that property can petition CPW, and if approved, public hunting is rescinded for that landlocked public property and can only be hunted by RFW hunters.
The public property has to be wholly engrossed by the RFW enrolled property if I remember correctly. Randy was the one who brought up and shed some light on it.
That's right Bob, he was planning on flying in, if I remember correctly.

So BUZZ, you stated above that you "can shoot cow elk, doe deer, and doe pronghorn until my shoulders are black and blue already here. No reason to enter into a RFW program like CO's for that. Not to mention the 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn, and bull elk every year."

BUZZ, don't you also have a lifetime hunting license in Montana to shoot a bunch more critters up there as a Montana resident?

Talk about selfish and self-centered? We all see how many photos of every buck, bull, and doe you plaster on the web each season! That's not enough? Every Wyo resident could do the same thing so why strip nonres of tags?

If Wyo residents can already harvest that many animals each year why on earth is there a need to take tags away from nonres that bring big $ to Wyo in the form of higher license/tag fees plus ADDITIONAL revenue to small communities?

Sebastian,

You sound confused.

Montana doesn't have a lifetime hunting license. They do have a come home to hunt program and also a Montana NR native hunting license. When that was being implemented, I drove 1400 miles round trip to testify against the program, even though I qualify for both license programs. I've bought an OTC elk and deer tag under both programs, but haven't bought an elk tag in about 5 years now, just deer. Currently deer combo license is about $350 for me under the NR native pricing. It is OTC, so its worth it to be able to hunt with my family there.

I haven't shot a doe pronghorn in 8 years, a doe deer in 10 years...so not sure where all these imaginary photos of animals I didn't shoot are getting plastered on the web?

The reason for 90-10 is intuitively obvious, to give Resident hunters more quality tags in the State we live in. Like Red Desert pronghorn tags, LQ elk tags in the Laramie Range, Seminoe's, red desert, more of the LQ deer tags. Residents should be getting 90% of those tags, period. NR's can apply for the areas with less demand or the 10% allocated to them. There's always the leftover draws too, and plenty of cow/calf and doe/fawn tags.

Same with moose, sheep, goat, and bison, residents should get 90% of those tags...no questions asked.

Residents travel to hunt a ton in Wyoming. The gas stations, hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. in Cody, Thermopolis, Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie, Lander, Sundance...they don't care if its a R or NR spending money with them.

You know as well as I do, your arguments fall flat in opposition to 90/10. That's why you throw a fit...you know the facts and you know its going to happen eventually.

Not unfair at all, nothing would change in the resident draw, still be the same as always.

All this would do would allow Residents that CHOSE to, to apply in the open draw at the NR fees. If they didn't draw in the open draw, then they would be entered into the resident only draw.

It would also allow residents to acquire preference points at the NR point fee schedule for the open draw only.
AND residents & Non Residents could apply together??

Any public land in Colo that can be accessed via a public road is open to hunting.....same thing is true in the HMA system in Wyo. I have hunted public land many times adjacent to the private land that is in the RFW program.

In reality, nonres bring ADDITIONAL revenue to small town communities in Wyo compared to residents. Wyo residents have to go to the grocery store whether they hunt or not. Many Wyo res hunt for the day and return to their homes each evening rather than staying in a hotel. Take a look at the hotels, gas stations, restaurants, bars, sporting goods stores, etc in Wyo during hunting season. How many nonres plates do you see? What happens if those nonres plates are cut in 1/2? Buzz may not agree (that doesn't surprise me) but nonres bring a heck of a lot of revenue to Wyo's small town communities.

Nonres also bring a chunk of $ to Wyo in the form of license and pref pt fees that would be lost if these tags are converted to low value resident tags.....that is a fact and can't be twisted or turned by Buzz or anyone else. The last time I checked Wyo res elk tags were $57 vs nonres $692 or $1,268. Holy smokes that's not chunk change! The thousands of nonres that apply for elk pref pts are adding another $50/hunter each year they apply. How many nonres will give up on a draw system if tags are cut and draw odds skyrocket? More loss in revenue to Wyo!

This post is titled the way around 90/10 so I will stick with that topic. A program similar to RFW or CWMU would open up millions of private acres to public resident hunters and potential a thousand or more tags that currently don't exist for public resident hunters. These are all high demand and high quality tags that Buzz would rather strip from nonres than open up new and exciting options limited to Wyo residents.

Are there any Wyo residents that would like to hunt a ranch like the Q or Wagonhound for the price of a tag? Wow, what an opportunity!

If you missed it the first time take a look at the benefits:

Buzz do you have any other "on topic" suggestions or do you want to just get down to business and slit nonres throats? Trading quality nonres limited tags for doe and cow tags is a joke isn't it?

Any public land in Colo that can be accessed via a public road is open to hunting.....same thing is true in the HMA system in Wyo. I have hunted public land many times adjacent to the private land that is in the RFW program.

In reality, nonres bring ADDITIONAL revenue to small town communities in Wyo compared to residents. Wyo residents have to go to the grocery store whether they hunt or not. Many Wyo res hunt for the day and return to their homes each evening rather than staying in a hotel. Take a look at the hotels, gas stations, restaurants, bars, sporting goods stores, etc in Wyo during hunting season. How many nonres plates do you see? What happens if those nonres plates are cut in 1/2? Buzz may not agree (that doesn't surprise me) but nonres bring a heck of a lot of revenue to Wyo's small town communities.

Nonres bring a chunk of $ to Wyo in the form of license and pref pt fees that would be lost if these tags are converted to low value resident tags.....that is a fact and can't be twisted or turned by Buzz or anyone else. The last time I checked Wyo res elk tags were $57 vs nonres $692 or $1,268. Holy smokes that's not chunk change! The thousands of nonres that apply for elk pref pts are adding another $50/hunter each year they apply. How many nonres will give up on a draw system if tags are cut and draw odds skyrocket? More loss in revenue to Wyo!

This post is titled the way around 90/10 so I will stick with that topic. A program similar to RFW or CWMU would open up millions of private acres to public resident hunters and potential a thousand or more tags that currently don't exist for public resident hunters. These are all high demand and high quality tags that Buzz would rather strip from nonres than open up new and exciting options limited to Wyo residents.

Are there any Wyo residents that would like to hunt a ranch like the Q or Wagonhound for the price of a tag? Wow, what an opportunity!

If you missed it the first time take a look at the benefits:

Buzz do you have any other "on topic" suggestions or do you want to just get down to business and slit nonres throats? Trading quality nonres limited tags for doe and cow tags is a joke isn't it?

Elk tag revenue from NR's would increase under 90/10...its taking a point to draw a general elk tag in WY in the special draw, about 3 points in the regular draw.

Revenue for pronghorn would stay the same as would the number of NR's tags issued, just in different areas.

Revenue for deer tags would be decreased a tiny bit, since most deer tag are region wide, 90/10 wouldn't change those at all.

There isn't enough M, S, G, B tags issued to NR's for the GF to see a significant loss in revenue. Charge R's another $5 for points for sheep and moose, you cover that easily.

Cry all you want Sebastian, make all the same worn out arguments you want...you know what's coming.

I don't understand why non residents are getting on here telling me what i want. Ive lived here my whole life i know what i want. I want a 90/10 split so i can draw more tags in my lifetime. I also want to hunt my favorite spots when i do draw those tags without having half a dozen non residents hunting the same spots. I want some kind of pp point system as well because the random draw is bs and eveyone that pays attention knows it. And i don't blame residents of other states to want the same and you won't catch me complaining about other states draw systems either

I don't need the game and fish to hold my hand and get me permission to hunt anywhere. If i can't get decent permission I'll hunt harder then most on public and more times them not I'll find what I'm looking for i don't need to help big landowners get more tags either through any program

You'll have to do some fast talking when outfitters find out that you are taking quality tags away from their potential clients and it will take more years for their clients to draw these tags! You must be kidding yourself that outfitters are going to sit back and let something like this pass!

So the option you are mentioning is to take high quality limited tags that already take nonres years of applying and paying for pref pts to draw and in turn hand them 2nd choice left over tags and possibly a small chunk of general or low demand tags. Wow!

I'm sure nonres are going to be excited about pref pt creep going through the roof with this great idea. I wonder how many nonres will lift their middle finger to Wyo and give up when the same thing that has happened with the nonres moose and sheep draw happens with deer, antelope, and elk?

I hope your great idea doesn't backfire and the WG&F goes broke. If Wyo small business's also go ****-up it will be apparent how important nonres are to the economy. I understand how important nonres are to Colo's economy and those small town communities open nonres with open arms. This is obvious when you see the welcome hunter signs in just about every business window.

I can guarantee Wyo resident outfitters budgets will crash since they also will be losing nonres clients. It's pretty much a trickle-down affect in the Wyo economy. Wyo's economy isn't exactly on fire with oil and gas boom and bust cycles plus the recent covid virus losses to small business.

Hopefully Wyo residents wake up to what they are missing out on with additional, quality tags available through RFW and CWMU programs. These programs could potentially open a million+ acres of private land and offer upwards of 1,000 additional tags which currently aren't available. The WG&F could potentially ask what ever higher tag prices they desire for these high demand tags as a bonus to their budget.

You'll have to do some fast talking when outfitters find out that you are taking quality tags away from their potential clients and it will take...
Jim, you totally get the Wy G&F and Wyo residents know about these landowner programs in other states, right? You really don't think you are the first one to "let the cat out of the bag" do you?

Because if you do...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:!!!!

I don't understand why non residents are getting on here telling me what i want. Ive lived here my whole life i know what i want. I want a 90/10 split so i can draw more tags in my lifetime. I also want to hunt my favorite spots when i do draw those tags without having half a dozen non residents hunting the same spots. I want some kind of pp point system as well because the random draw is bs and eveyone that pays attention knows it. And i don't blame residents of other states to want the same and you won't catch me complaining about other states draw systems either
I waited 12 years to draw unit 57 antelope in 2018 that’s the way it is , I saw lots of those starving maggots out there, a rancher told me to shoot four of them . I think you could have increased the tags to 150 and wouldn’t have hurt anything, good luck to all in the draws !

In regards to the CO RFW program. Some of those ranches are winter range for hundreds of deer that come from far away public land on multiple hunting units. These same ranches have very few deer during summer and early fall. These ranches hunt during the rut when the deer arrive on the winter range.

The result is great hunting on the ranch during the RFW seasons and greatly diminished quality for public hunters on vast areas of public land during all of the CO regular hunting seasons.

No, WY should not copy the CO RFW program. I still think an 80/20 split for all states is fair, reasonable and would increase lifetime opportunity at quality hunts for anyone in any state that apply's out of state as well as in their home state.

Sebastian, any comment on both programs you're crowing about that lock up accessible public lands?

Yeah, probably not going to talk much about that are you.
Buzz lips, Colorado allows all publicly accessible lands as still fully open to regular license holders. Utah has poor management which is an easy fix in the set-up. Stop buzzing, it tickles me.

What I get as a consensus here are Wyoming residents like the possibility of a 90/10 split, perhaps 85/15 with some Outfitter support. Wyoming residents would like a preference point system on deer and elk as we now have on sheep and moose. Wyoming residents would like the opportunity to hunt large ranches like Wagonhound, Q-Creek and Pathfinder with a CWMU type program established which will benefit landowners, hunters and more revenue for the state. A Win-Win program for all. This thread can be now closed. Next order of business.

Buzz lips, Colorado allows all publicly accessible lands as still fully open to regular license holders. Utah has poor management which is an easy fix in the set-up. Stop buzzing, it tickles me.

A high fast flyer should know that isn't true...

Ur are correct Wyoming residents would like a 90/10 we don't want a 85/15 with outfitter support.. Most residents don't want preference points either they can see what preference points do in the moose sheep and mt goat draws... And we don't want no RFW program either what ever Colorado or any other state has they can keep it.. We want first choice on all the leftover tags while we are at it... That should just about do it..

Highfast, we residents also like when NR mind their own business when it comes to what we, residents, should be doing. For me it's not about stopping NR from hunting Wyoming, it is about Wyoming taking care of Wyoming residents and giving them 90/10 split like most western states. It still amazes me we see more NR on the Wyoming forum than the other state forums telling us we need to do. Worry about changing the rules in your own state before you try and ruin ours. And again tell me what you are doing in your state to help NR? Just saying...

Seems to me it was a Wyo resident with the almighty name of BUZZ who started this post asking what others thought of his scenario? We were merely offering viable options that make a heck of a lot of sense. Opening a million+ acres and around 1,000+ quality tags. Sound like a winner to me!

What do Wyo residents think about Colo? The majority of Colo units are OTC tags for nonres. What about Wyo's general units? How about the majority of limited deer and elk units that offer 35% of the tags to nonres? 90/10 isn't even close!

Buzz must be kidding himself if Wyo outfitters are going to sit back and watch nonres tags faulter to 90/10! I'm also confident with the current Wyo economy that the WG&F would be cutting their throat with 90/10. Have Wyo residents checked out the price of gas lately? How about the Covid Virus impact on the economy? I'm not really sure why I'm wasting my time posting because I have my doubts this is going to happen!

jims keep Ur Otc elk tags they are really not that good Ill take Wyoming general elk tag and I have hunted Colorado Otc tags... I wouldn't expect the outfitters not to fight about the 90/10 split but people mite be surprised when residents rally around the 90/10 and first choice on all leftover tags... And I really wouldn't be surprised that WG@F don't do sum thing about point share in the future....

Ur are correct Wyoming residents would like a 90/10 we don't want a 85/15 with outfitter support.. Most residents don't want preference points either they can see what preference points do in the moose sheep and mt goat draws... And we don't want no RFW program either what ever Colorado or any other state has they can keep it.. We want first choice on all the leftover tags while we are at it... That should just about do it..
No, Us Residents Do want a preference point as Us Residents see how effective it works and how there is light at the end of the tunnel with a preference point system. Having someone draw highly coveted tags 3 years in a row as I as a resident have applied for 25 years and never drawn is not only unfair, it is insulting we haven’t done this before and still live in the Dark Ages in Wyoming. I like 90/10 or 85/15 whatever is the normal equitable value other surrounding states use, works for me. I also as many other residents I talk to highly favor the ability to go hunt premium private ranches and open up another New and untapped resource of another 3000 new hunting tags on private ranches instead of just again throwing away and missing the mark on a great Win-Win program we just blow off and have left untapped for decades in Wyoming. Sad and Pathetic how fools don’t get it and can’t grasp how all could benefit by such a program. Another 3000 tags for public hunters, a solid source of revenue for outfitters and landowners on private ranches and 3000 new tags plus new private ranch tags would mean a whole lot of NEW untapped State revenue. You obviously know very little of our preference point system or you wouldn’t have posted how you don’t like it for mountain goats. We don’t have that and never have had. SMH.

Last edited:
Highfast, we residents also like when NR mind their own business when it comes to what we, residents, should be doing. For me it's not about stopping NR from hunting Wyoming, it is about Wyoming taking care of Wyoming residents and giving them 90/10 split like most western states. It still amazes me we see more NR on the Wyoming forum than the other state forums telling us we need to do. Worry about changing the rules in your own state before you try and ruin ours. And again tell me what you are doing in your state to help NR? Just saying...
Obviously you read slow and lack reading comprehension. I understand that as many have ADHD. Take your medicine and reread what I have posted. US RESIDENTS, do like the 90/10 idea. We may have to compromise and go 85/15 to get outfitter support along with a CWMU type program which will highly benefit Outfitters, landowners, public hunters and the State. Having another 3000 new tags for public hunters and outfitters and landowners having a guaranteed steady source of income on private ranches along with all that new untapped State Revenue is a Win-Win for all. It just has to be properly managed by US RESIDENTS. There are very good examples of how to do it right. No public lands which are accessible would be locked out of public hunting tags and public hunters would have fair and equitable rights of hunting, season dates and accessibility as the high paying private hunters. It is all in the management. Wrongdoers would be evaluated and punished by a State coordinator. Many residents also like having a preference point system like sheep and moose and would like to see that in place also on deer and elk. If you don’t like change, try moving out as US Residents like new hunting opportunities and a Win-Win situations.

Ur right about preference point U will draw the LQ tag once in Ur life time but that's it... Take a good look at the draw odds of nonresident elk and deer tags because that what our resident draw odds will look like... Just because a nonresident has max points doesn't mean he is drawing the tag this year it still could be 5 to 10 years before he draws.... I wish Wyoming would do like trophy game for resident elk and deer with a absence from the draw.. Any unit that is hard to draw weather it %10 draw odds or less would be labeled a trophy unit and would have a 1-5 year absence from the trophy units Done...

No, Us Residents Do want a preference point as Us Residents see how effective it works and how there is light at the end of the tunnel with a preference point system. Having someone draw highly coveted tags 3 years in a row as I as a resident have applied for 25 years and never drawn is not only unfair, it is insulting we haven’t done this before and still live in the Dark Ages in Wyoming. I like 90/10 or 85/15 whatever is the normal equitable value other surrounding states use, works for me. I also as many other residents I talk to highly favor the ability to go hunt premium private ranches and open up another New and untapped resource of another 3000 new hunting tags on private ranches instead of just again throwing away and missing the mark on a great Win-Win program we just blow off and have left untapped for decades in Wyoming. Sad and Pathetic how fools don’t get it and can’t grasp how all could benefit by such a program. Another 3000 tags for public hunters, a solid source of revenue for outfitters and landowners on private ranches and 3000 new tags plus new private ranch tags would mean a whole lot of NEW untapped State revenue. You obviously know very little of our preference point system or you wouldn’t have posted how you don’t like it for mountain goats. We don’t have that and never have had. SMH.

Couple points to this post.

1. If you cant draw a relatively easy to get tag in 25 years, when someone else draws it 3 years in a row...try applying in another area. Also, if you cant draw a tag like that, what do you suppose you're odds will be of drawing a fantasy RFW tag?

2. There wont be an additional 3K tags issued, where did you come up with that? Fantasyland most likely. Even if your fantasy was correct, 2800 would be antlerless tags. Of the 200 remaining antlered tags, 175 of them would be for the LO's and outfitters. Leaving the usual crumbs behind for resident hunters.

3. It wouldn't generate more revenue for the state, it would cost the state money to monitor, administer, and babysit the enrolled lands, obviously.

There is no way that residents are going to buy the snake oil models of RFW that Utah and Colorado have. Both of those states have provided all the proof Wyoming hunters, as well as the WYGF needs, to avoid them like the plague.

Live in your fantasy world all you want, there's good reason this hasn't happened and why it wont ever happen.

No Highfast, we don't want PP for deed, elk , and antelope. At least the residents I know don't want any more PP species.
Not too hard to find great private access, at least it hasn't been for me. A little landowner respect goes a long way.

Ur right about preference point U will draw the LQ tag once in Ur life time but that's it... Take a good look at the draw odds of nonresident elk and deer tags because that what our resident draw odds will look like... Just because a nonresident has max points doesn't mean he is drawing the tag this year it still could be 5 to 10 years before he draws.... I wish Wyoming would do like trophy game for resident elk and deer with a absence from the draw.. Any unit that is hard to draw weather it %10 draw odds or less would be labeled a trophy unit and would have a 1-5 year absence from the trophy units Done...
You certainly like to tell big LIES. How are those preference points for Mountain Goat working out for you? LMAO. Your next point is you can never draw Limited entry tags, just look at the nonresident pool. I just did and only 3 units could not be drawn with 100% max points for nonresident special deer. Many of these tags are drawn with 3-4 points and all except 3 can be drawn with max points. Even the famed 102 deer unit has a 100% chance of drawing with max points and even 60% chance with 12 points. You could probably get 2 of those in your lifetime Vs. Highly likely never drawing it with a random system like we have for residents. SMH.

Couple points to this post.

1. If you cant draw a relatively easy to get tag in 25 years, when someone else draws it 3 years in a row...try applying in another area. Also, if you cant draw a tag like that, what do you suppose you're odds will be of drawing a fantasy RFW tag?

2. There wont be an additional 3K tags issued, where did you come up with that? Fantasyland most likely. Even if your fantasy was correct, 2800 would be antlerless tags. Of the 200 remaining antlered tags, 175 of them would be for the LO's and outfitters. Leaving the usual crumbs behind for resident hunters.

3. It wouldn't generate more revenue for the state, it would cost the state money to monitor, administer, and babysit the enrolled lands, obviously.

There is no way that residents are going to buy the snake oil models of RFW that Utah and Colorado have. Both of those states have provided all the proof Wyoming hunters, as well as the WYGF needs, to avoid them like the plague.

Live in your fantasy world all you want, there's good reason this hasn't happened and why it wont ever happen.

1. Somebody gets to draw those 3000 tags. Even if they are difficult to draw tags that is 3000 new tags for hunters for filling the freezer, adding additional revenue into the State coffers. Each year there are many hunters who get to go afield using a preference point system in difficult areas to draw for moose and sheep whom are highly satisfied to be able to draw those tags and hunt. Similar satisfaction could be gained for the public on quality ranches like Q Creek, Wagonhound and others.
2. Jim’s quoted that number above. It sounds like a reasonable number. Even if we use your low ball fantasyland numbers you again do bad math. Twenty (20%) of 200 is 40 public hunters and 160 private client hunters. That is 40 quality bulls going down for public hunters on some amazing ranches.
3. 3000 new tags generates a whole lot of revenue as you stated, many of them would go to nonresident private clients. If 500 non residents pay $1000 a tag that alone is $500,000. A qualified biologist would manage the whole program for a full time position for $50K. Get your facts straight. Your buzzing lips are tickling your brain.

You certainly like to tell big LIES. How are those preference points for Mountain Goat working out for you? LMAO. Your next point is you can never draw Limited entry tags, just look at the nonresident pool. I just did and only 3 units could not be drawn with 100% max points for nonresident special deer. Many of these tags are drawn with 3-4 points and all except 3 can be drawn with max points. Even the famed 102 deer unit has a 100% chance of drawing with max points and even 60% chance with 12 points. You could probably get 2 of those in your lifetime Vs. Highly likely never drawing it with a random system like we have for residents. SMH.

102 is a "famed unit"? You want a point system to draw that tag?

I'd not trade my general tag for it.

SMH...

102 is a "famed unit"? You want a point system to draw that tag?

I'd not trade my general tag for it.

SMH...
Yeah, we know you buzz lips. You like those General areas, especially the ones which have Any Deer vs. Antlered deer so you can harvest a Doe. Sad thing is your hunting buddies saw you buzzing away on that Doe last year. It didn’t bode well for your reputation or your buzz skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom