Toyota

Pnuts

I just purchased a new Toyota and I want to get it ready for hunting season. Any suggestions on front bumpers with winch capabilities that perform but also look good.

Do I lift it or just put a leveling kit? Or leave it alone?

Any cool ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would stick with a level kit.I like tall and narrow tires it saves gas.The bumpers I would go on line and find the one you like and go with a warn winch.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-14 AT 09:08PM (MST)[p]I would get the following:
1. Bud Built skid plates - front and mid for sure, the others if you can afford it.
2. Rock Sliders - Stubbs Welding if a Taco, Demello if a Tundra.

After these look at the lift and tires. I crushed the factory skid six months after I got my Tundra. I ordered the Bud Built replacement skid and couldn't be happier with that decision especially after standing the truck up on a rock. Other than scratching the paint on the skid no other damage occurred. Bud Built is BTF.

The Demello sliders are expensive, but you can jack the truck up by them. Another route you can take is to weld up your own if you know someone with a mig. My best friend and I (mostly him) made mine for about $350. I will post a pick later of us lifting the entire left side of the truck in the air to test them. Talking both front and rear tires in the air at the same time. They call them rock crushers for a reason.

I am going to outfit every new truck I get the same way going forward. I do have a 3" leveling kit by the way.

Rabbidrattlesnakes sliders that we made:

9837slider.jpg

Do you have a Taco or a Tundra?

Here's the pic with both wheels off the ground...it's hard to tell, but yes, the front tire is in the air as well.

Sliders are 2"x2"x3/16" w/ 5 attachment points welded to the frame.

8507slider2.jpg

I would leave it alone. Save some $ and gas. A stock tundra or tacoma will take you on any road you should be on (except private of course).

My '98 Tacoma has 280k and still going strong,stock. 20-22mpg. Never been stuck really. Good tires like the Dura-Tracs are a must.
I would like a receiver hitch set-up for winch tho....

Ranch Hand bumpers
Thunderstruck Bumpers
Fear no deer bumpers.
This are some good ones.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-14 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]Front & Back Body Armor bumpers, winch-9500lb . 265/75 BFG's T/A KO's

And keep the Sitka stickers far away

I would just get a hi-lift and the winch kit instead of a winch. If you are doing hard offroading every weekend the winch is a must, but for most of us not needed. I would spend the money on some "cool" wheels and tires, again not needed but fun, and get the after maket skid plates (budbuilt).

I've needed the winch twice, and once i had it and the other time i didn't. I'll tell ya, it is sure nice to have!

Give your son the new one and fix his older one up and use it that one for hunting.

GREAT IDEA

The winch thing is only a great idea when you get stuck and no one is around. 3 Years ago hunting 2C in January a blade came in after us and piled up the snow on the bar ditch. Made it slippery and we fell in some deep snow late in the afternoon. If we wouldn't have had a winch we would have spent a cold night.

Probably a high quality com-a-long would work just as well. Just a small insurance policy especially if your hunting with young people or just a macho thing.

Nice try son with the switch but I don't think your mother likes the idea.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 01:45PM (MST)[p]I put about 300K miles on a Tacoma over a number of years that would go anywhere. Decided in my old age that I needed the comfort of a bigger truck so I gave the Tacoma to one of my kids and upgraded to a Tundra. Problem was I treated the wider and longer wheel base as though I was still in the Tacoma and have managed to tear the skid plate, back bumper, and nerfs off as a result, not to mention I've managed to put a dent or two in every quarter panel. I still appreciate the improved ride, but if I'm ever fortunate to get another new full-sized truck, I'm going to lift it two or three more inches. No more factory recommended tires, either.

Mozey check out Bub Built skid plates (www.budbuilt.com). If you can destroy one of those you need to trade in the truck for a tank. Also take a look at my nerf bars detailed above. There is absolutly no way they are coming off. They are welded on and are 3/16" thick. Might be of interest to you.

I have left pieces of my 2000 tundra all over the beautiful state of NM.
I am trying to be a little more careful with my 2006

Rabid,

Would you pm me more info on who can install those nerfs? I understand you got a sweet deal through your friend, and I'm not expecting anything like that--I'm just trying to get an idea of how much something like that would cost. My truck has 150K on it, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to put more money into getting it to what I need, or just get a new one and start fresh...

>Rabid,
>
>Would you pm me more info
>on who can install those
>nerfs? I understand you
>got a sweet deal through
>your friend, and I'm not
>expecting anything like that--I'm just
>trying to get an idea
>of how much something like
>that would cost. My
>truck has 150K on it,
>and I'm trying to decide
>whether I want to put
>more money into getting it
>to what I need, or
>just get a new one
>and start fresh...

Mozey,
I can build you a set. PM me and we can sort out the details.
Dave

I have a 2011 Tundra Double Cab. They do need to be lifted compared to a tacoma. Mine is getting lifted next week. The problem is the angle of approach on the front and rear. I'm constantly scraping the front and dragging the rear going in and out of gullies.

Anyone know of a kit or method to get the trailer lights sockets off the bottom of the bumper and into the bumper? It sure is smashed up from dragging on the ground... I saw where someone had cut a hole next to the license plate and moved the trailer lights up into the bumper but I can't find it online again.

Any good hitch place can drill ya a hole in the bumper and install the 7 way plug for you.
Or take a 2" hole drill bit and drill it yourself and you can put the 7 way plug in yourself with a 1/4 drill bit or use self tapping screws .
Wiring the plug is easy too, just take off one wire at a time and put in the new plug as you take them off, Just make sure they are in the same place as the old plug.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks. I have the 7 way and 4 way "uhaul" style combo which I like. Id like to keep the combo but put them in the bumper.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom