Tracks for ATV???

SWINGBOW

I want to install tracks on one of my ATVs. Wondering if anyone has them and what type you guys think are the best. We have snow machines too but it seems an ATV with tracks would be a little easier to ride. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure about the ATV's , but I have used tracks on a side by side , and I was not impressed at all . For work we set a Ranger up with tracks , and it couldn't even compare with a snow mobile . The tracks where very expensive and added a lot of weight . The problem I saw with the weight was the Ranger would just sink in powder .

To be fair the tracks worked ok on hard packed or groomed trails . On the side by side the tracks did make steering a lot harder , so that may be a issue on a wheeler .

My Dad has a set of tjd tracks on his honda rubicon its a 500 i wouldnt put them on anything smallet than that as for the steering it is almost impossiable to steer if parked but once u get moveing it is a whole lot easier. Uses alot more gas!!!! but all in all very impressive we have drove it in as much as 4 feet of powder and or wet snow no problems. we actually use it to pull out snowmobils u wont go fast because of the gear reduction but you can almost go anywhere i want to get a set for my atv also maybe this year.

I have limited experience with them, but that experience was horrible. We had them on a Polaris Sportsman 500. It was almost impossible to control, steering was really really difficult. It basically went wherever it wanted to. My buddy was driving on a groomed trail and he lost control and it forced him out into a meadow with 3-4 feet of powerder. And there we sat. If you do put on tracks on it make sure it has a winch. If you get really stuck with those tracks on you are going to hate your life. Those tracks are really heavy. Unless you have a lot of help you might have to leave it until spring.

IMO they are a complete waste of money. With the amount that they cost you might as well buy a snowmobile. At least you can steer those and go anywhere you want in the snow.

Had a set of Camoplast track on a 700 cc Polaris Ranger. 16 miles from my truck the track came loose and broke the tie rod and the CV joint exploded. It was a really long walk back to the truck.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

I was a mechanic at a dealer and had to install them and test drive them before we gave it back to the customer. I agree with what everyone else has said. They are very heavy. I bet top speed on a 500 is no more than 20 mph. I think they will go a lot of places as long as everything holds up. You are talking about putting close to 75+ pounds extra per track on your machine. The parts on your 4 wheeler are not designed to work with that much weight. I always said the more stuff you do to them the more chance they have to break.

Thanks for the info guys! I think we are going to take the money ($3,500 or so) and try to find a couple more sleds. We have 4 ATVs and only 1 sled. Part of our dilemma is that we want to be able to ride double, maybe a lady or kid as the passenger. I think with the added weight of the tracks, the extra person and the fact that our ATVs are all 450cc's. They wouldn't be able to get out of their own way. A little change of plans but I think it'll work better in the long run.
Thanks again, JS

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-10 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]My bud has them on his RZR and they are un--freaking--real!

The places we went when I rode with him one day only-----freaked me out totally......but we never got stuck and he went up- down- sidehill----didn't matter.

He has the power steering so I do not know about any steering problems.

He gets called all the time on the wknd's to go pull out stuck snowmobile friends/guys he knows.

I have the Sportman 6x6 and have tossed around the idea of getting them on mine.

Not sure if this helps ya out or not.

Robb

I don't doubt that they are cool, but if you have to call a friend with an ATV to come unstick your snowmobile, then you shouldn't be riding one :p

2a0fcsk.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom