Trekking pole advice?

Fishingkid

I have never used trekking poles hiking but looking into purchasing a set for some hunts coming up. Any advice? What to look for what to stay away from? I see them on amazon around $60 just not sure what I should be looking for in a trekking pole? Folding? Telescoping? Thanks for any tips or advice

I have a pair of Lekki telescoping trekking poles that I purchased from Sierra Trading with coupon code for around 50% off. I've used and abused them on 5 mtn goat and 3 sheep hunts so far...as well as a number of elk hunts. They work fantastic on super steep, rocky, uneven terrain. They are noisy when stalking game (clanging on rocks) but for hauling out critters and getting to and from steep hunting areas they are a life saver. I don't use them on relatively level country.

Leki. Cork handle, telescoping
Love them, highly recommend. Have them with me 100% of the time. Use on the haul out, and in a non possible shooting time. Stalking, etc.

just steer clear of any that have plastic external "flip locks" (the kind where a lever flips open or closed on the outside). Metal versions of this are usually okay and the "twist locks" or internal mechanisms are usually pretty good. Anything that advertises a shock absorber is just adding unnecessary moving parts and is probably less durable-the aluminum flexes plenty without an extra mechanism.

No matter what poles you get, take them apart and blow out any dust or corrosion once in a while, or any time they get wet. And wrap a few feet of duct tape around one, I do this and wind up using it to fix the pole or some other piece of gear on the regular.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom