tri pods

time2hunt

looking for good lite weight but sturdy tri pod any help or input would be greatly appreciated.This will be a tri pod for the day pack.

I was able to try out the Slik Sprint Mini GM this weekend using the 15x binos on top. They are sturdy enough, detected no vibration, but still lightweight (1.6 pounds) and compact. Leg angle is adjustable. Was using a Velbon PH 157-Q head.

The Outdoorsman also makes a sturdier lightweight tripod, but also spendier.

Prior to the Slik, I used a Velbon Chaser EFL-4 tripod, sturdy, adjustable, but a little heavy (3.2 pounds).

RR

Give Jim White a call. He has a few different tripods that range from super lightweight to moderate weight and area all set up for hunting. Let him know Arizona Trophy Guide Service refered you. His prices are pretty good too. Good luck.
928-635-5316.

I have a bogen and use my Swaro ATS 80 on top of it. Very nice but big and heavy. I also have a pair of 15 x 56 swaro bino's that I put on top of a Walmart special cheapo tripod. $18.00, very light weight and seems to handle the job quite nicely. Go figure! fatrooster.

Jansenn's Outdoor Adventures in Oregon sells a great tripod. It will fit in your daypack and extends to about 4ft. Not light weight but not heavy. Holds a Swarvoski spotter with ease as well as binocs and video cameras.

Check out coueswhitetail.com. they sell lots of good combinations. I just got the same combo redrooster was talking about. It looks like it will be a sweet set up, I can't wait to try it out.

I'll have to second ridgerunner on coueswhitetail.com. I have a friend that I went on a bear hunt a few months ago that ordered one right before the hunt off of Amanda's site and got it real quick. And she has a pretty good selection.

cpugsie, Do you have the Slik 713 or the Slik 613 that is shown in the link that you posted? I am thinking of getting the 613 if it will hold my STS65 with my 10x42's balanced on it.

azbow,
I have the 713. It weighs a bit more than the 613 but it goes up higher and holds more weight. Here's the comparison:
613-47.4" height,1.6#, holds up to 6.6 lbs., $239.95, 3 sections
614-61.2" height,1.9#, holds up to 6.6 lbs., $259.95, 4 sections
713-60.2" height,2.75#, holds up to 10 lbs., $249.95, 3 sections

I like to stand up when I glass and the 713 or the 614 will get you there. The 613 is too short to glass in the standing position. The 713 will be more stable than the 614. I have alot of friends with the 713 and we all like them and have had no problems with them at all. I also like the concentric wheels that you turn to loosen the legs. Add the weight of both of your optics and choose the tripod best suited for the weight and your type of glassing (sitting or standing). Good luck with your purchase. The attached link is the cheapest place I've found for these tripods.

Carl
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=0.0&shs=&ci=2636&ac=&Submit.x=11&Submit.y=11

Your best bet for tripods is the Outdoorsman's in Phoenix. They make thier own line of machined aluminum tripods and they sell all of the other brands as well. Nobody has sold as many tripods to hunters as these guys have, period. 800-291-8065 is their number.

I bought a Bogen Tracker last year and it is sturdy but it weighs a ton. Don't buy a Ttracker for hunting unless they have a carbon model. Silk would be your best option. Same manufacturing as Bogen with half the weight and cost.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I have 2 Bogens that I use around camp or the truck. Last year I bought a Outdoorsmans with a mini fluid head for hiking. They are real pricey, but I don't think you can beat it. They advertise in Eastman's Journal. Phone #1-800-291-8065

Nothing against the camera houses but I think you would be better off talking to a salesman who has actually used a tripod to glass and is a hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom