Try to explain this to your 10 or 11 year old that you had told couldnt enter the draw

B

Buglinbulz

Try to explain this to your 10 or 11 year old that you had told couldnt enter the draw

Fish and game allowed the 10 and 11 year old to remain in the draw even though page 108 of the regulations state:

Effective July 1, 2014 ? the minimum age to hunt big game
was lowered from 12 to 10. A 9-year old may buy a license to
apply for a controlled hunt tag, but he or she must be 10 years
old at the time of the hunt.
Since this law does not take effect until July 1, 2014, hunters
who are 10 cannot apply for big game controlled hunts in the
first controlled hunt application periods (April-June), but a
9-year old who will turn 10 during the season can apply in the
second application period in August.

Controlled Hunt Results Available On Idaho Fish And Game Website

Results for Idaho's 2014 controlled hunts for deer, elk and pronghorn are now posted on the Idaho Fish at Game website. Hunters can check results at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/CH Check your hunting license for your license number, have it ready, and follow the steps. High interest in these results is causing some delays on the Fish and Game website. We appreciate your patience.

A new law that goes into effect July 1 allowing 10 and 11 year olds to hunt big game caused some confusion during this application period and resulted in more than 1,000 controlled hunt applications that included 10 and 11 year olds, mainly in group applications. Even though the law doesn't take effect for a few more days, and the drawing occurred before then, Idaho Fish and Game decided to allow the applications to remain in the drawing for administrative and customer services reasons.
Because the vast majority of these applications were controlled hunt group applications submitted with other family members, removing those that included 10 and 11 year olds would have disqualified approximately 2,500 additional individuals who otherwise would have been eligible to participate in the drawing.
Removing, and/or correcting all 1,000 plus applications from the drawing, would have taken significantly more time and delayed completion of the drawing and the release of results to our customers.
We apologize to those who wanted to submit controlled hunt applications on behalf of their child but didn't because the new law was not yet in effect. Given the number of applications received, Fish and Game leaders felt this was the best option available. Because the new law will be in place July 1, 10 and 11 year olds will be eligible to put in for the next controlled hunt application held in August, or they may purchase general season big game tags.
Interested 10 and 11 year olds must hold a valid hunting license in order to apply for a controlled hunt. Anyone holding a Hunting Passport can purchase general season big game tags.

Fish and game is not conveying a good message to our new hunters allowing this to happen,everyone needs to abide by the regulations. How many dads did not allow their son or daughter to apply because the law does not go into affect until July 1st. How did the 10 and 11 year olds even buy a license before the law went into affect. I believe these applications should have been disqualified from the drawing

RE: Try to explain this to your 10 or 11 year old that you had told couldnt enter the draw

I'm with you. I have one that fits in but we read the rules and did not put in. So can we pick and choose what rules we follow if there is enough money in the game? Bad call F&G

DZ

RE: Try to explain this to your 10 or 11 year old that you had told couldnt enter the draw

I spoke with 4 of the commissioners and a state rep tonight and not one of them was aware of this decision that was made by the administration. The 4 commissioners and the state rep I spoke with were all concerned with the decision and will be looking for answers tomorrow. Please contact your local F&G office to voice your concerns on this bad decision made by the Director. The law is the law.

That is bs straight up! Cheaters aren't supposed to win especially if they get caught

Really makes you wonder when they discovered this draw results posted in the window stated but a few days later than normal.

Basically everyone who didn't draw a tag should raise holy hell

I was told by the FnG my 10 y.o. COULD apply. So we put him in and he drew. I think the simplest solution would have been to allow eligibility to anyone that turns 10 before the season. That way they could apply like anyone else.

The issue is they shouldn't have been able to buy a license until the law went into affect on July 1st, and you can't apply in the draw without a license. I know there are going to be a lot more than 1000 ten and 11 year olds hunting this year, so that tells me most hunters read the regulations correctly. Not allowing them to be considered in the draw in my opinion would have been the fairest way for all. If 1000 applicants that put in for the trophy species put back in for elk and deer F&G would take the time to disqualify them from the general draw.

Whether or not one should have been allowed to apply or not if they weren't 10 before the draw is not relevant. The rules stated that if they were not yet 10 they couldn't apply. Now pooey on them for not having a default in place to keep people from doing that is bad.

If you wanted my opinion the kids should have been allowed to apply but that's not how the law or rules read so I think all those people should have been disqualified from the draw. Cause I'm pretty sure those 10 year olds didn't put their own applications in. Then it's on mommy and daddy to explain why what they did was wrong.

Heck someone could put together a pretty god little class action lawsuit over this and go about it from two sides one from the kids who obeyed the rules and were left out and one for everyone who didn't draw a tag because they rule breakers were allowed to play.

Im gonna cause a scene today. That pisses me off.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but if you want another voice I would be happy to scream and yell at someone or send an email as should anyone who didn't draw a tag.

First off, I applaud the honesty of the IDFG for coming forward with this information before they got caught (which would have happened as everyone began to wonder how 10 yr olds got drawn).

However, this was the wrong decision. The rule was clearly stated in the regulation booklet. I continue to be shocked every year by the amount of people who never read the rules and end up breaking the rules. People need to stop relying on heresay and rumor.

The rules are simple to read and understand, all of those tags should be revoked and put into the 2nd drawing in August and all those who didn't follow the rule should not be allowed to participate in the second draw.

I didn't even put in for any controlled hunts this year so I don't really have a dog in the fight other than to see the IDFG follow through with the rules.

Since the tags were abtained illegally, will IDFG prosecute the hunters for poaching when they use an illegal tag on an animal?

Do I feel bad for the kids that will lose tags, you bet, but it now becomes the parents to take responsibility and explain to them why they are losing their tag.

If IDFG decides it would be too hurtful to revoke the tags at this point then some other penalty should apply to these people in the coming years. Perhaps a two year waiting period before being able to apply again.

This could be a simple fix pull al the tags that were obtained by under age and also those who are in a party with underage because 10&11 year olds don't put themselves in for tags.

I think most of you missed the most important part of the original posters thread.---How did the 10 and 11 year olds even buy a license before the law went into effect?--- That should have been the stop gap right there.

Not totally familiar with resident licensing in Idaho but in sure you can get a hunting license as soon as you pass hunter safety for birds and small game

So since Idaho still allows paper applications all one would need is a license number. Then there probably was no default on the online system I would assume.

Bigger point is cheaters prospered.

I have already sent two emails and contacted them on twitter

So I just received a response to my inquiry about this issue and got a rather unapologetic too bad so sad. I simply replied and told him that wasn't an acceptable answer and he would be hearing more about this from me and others.

I saw this all this morning and was not happy. My wife works for the news station and I have already contacted her about this situation and she is looking into it for a story. We shall see how it all pans out.

i thought all applications with errors were rejected? who cares if its kids,group apps 1 person or 2500 they made the rules we follow them!guess if enough of us break the law its ok to do so since it would be to big of a problem to fix they cant arrest everybody right?

Honestly they are trying to blame it on needing to get results posted and didn't have time to correct the incorrect applications. They easily could have taken another week to conduct the draw. And no corrections would be needed just disqualifications.

Fricken cheaters

>i thought all applications with errors
>were rejected? who cares if
>its kids,group apps 1 person
>or 2500 they made the
>rules we follow them!guess if
>enough of us break the
>law its ok to do
>so since it would be
>to big of a problem
>to fix they cant arrest
>everybody right?

Meth is illegal right

lol i dont know you can buy all the stuff to make it cant you?

Has anyone tried contacting dfg and what kind of response have you gotten?

I am now waiting for a call from the directors office

I spoke with the directors office this morning and the lady said since there were so many that were confused by the regulations they decided to allow them to proceed in the drawing. I asked her how many new hunters they have on average each year and she told me 5000 new hunters, so adding two new age groups to this year that would be 10,000 new hunters, so this means 10% that dont know how to read get rewarded and the 9000 that do know to read get punished.Please contact the directors office and voice your concerns.(208-334-3700) The regulations state we need to buy tags but do we really need to?????

Do you feel as if your voice was heard or more like in one ear out the other

What a load of crap! Whoever made that call needs fired and all those tags should be revoked. Not to mention all the app fees refunded.

Kicker

I think some parents were counting on f&g letting this slide!

I would bet that them not deleting the applicants had more to do with money loss they would experience thanthe excuse they wouldn't have time. It cant take that long to fix it....

I want to know how many of those underage applicants had others piggybacking on their application? So if 1000 were drawn how many more were also drawn by default? If all 1000 had three more applicants added to that draw,, There could be as many as 4000 tags that should have never been eligible. Ron

No wonder many of us did not draw.

Our tags were given to illegal applicants.

I highly suggest that everyone call and email showing their displeasure with what has happened. They are being somewhat receptive I actually got a return phone call from the directors office this afternoon unfortunately I was sleeping since I worked all night last night

I was told by the upper snake river region that my daughter could not and was therefore denied the opportunity to put her in. I was directed to the hunting regulations where it is written. This is extremely poor management by IDFG.

Jurt talked with a person in the directors office and they will not be rovoking the illegal tags as they are allready being issued out to the hunters. They plan on a public apology and thats all. A lawyer would have an airtight fraud case here.

There's 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back

Fairly engaging conversation but in the end the lady basically told me they may issue "warnings" in written form but that's about it

What a joke

I asked if they could or would consider having those tags that were drawn put into the second draw and then she started getting more defensive and basically said what's done is done

I still believe there are people who tried to game the system probably just as many who were ignorant to the rule.

One thing I didn't know was that in the past you could apply at age 11 as long as you would be 12 when the hunt opened you applied for so in a sense if people had followed the rules of this year some kids kind of got jobbed

Supposedly total apps are up 7000 according to her numbers and 900+ were illegal. 140k some odd apps now 900 into 140k isn't a high percentage. But it only takes a few of those names to bump you down the list just enough to not get a tag

Keep calling and voicing your displeasure this is wrong

>Jurt talked with a person in
>the directors office and they
>will not be rovoking the
>illegal tags as they are
>allready being issued out to
>the hunters. They plan on
>a public apology and thats
>all. A lawyer would
>have an airtight fraud case
>here.

I'm in let's do it

Count me in. There are many grey areas in the regulations that you could be ticketed for and many of the CO's would be glad to ticket you if felt the need, but this rule was pretty straight forward. We as hunters cannot let the F&G get away with this kind of BS.

This just makes me want to puke!
Try explaining to your ten year old that he wasn't eligible to apply when he says "but Johnny next door is ten and he got a deer tag why couldn't I?"
Do you respond with
"his dad broke the rules and that's why he gets to go have a great hunt this year, but cheating is bad and you should never do it"

Or do you just say "never trust IDF&g son"

You know this scenario is playing out all over the state.

If we are choosing what laws we are following I think we should all go through the regulations together and pick which rules we would like to follow.
Hey if we get enough of us breaking a rule we may just get a free pass because it would be to "time consuming" to enforce the rules.

Turns my stomach!

Justin

I am in the process of finding a class action lawyer to look into this. If you are interested in being included please contact me 208-550-2681.

Just a quick question here.. do ten year olds have to be accompanied in the field while hunting big game?

I sure the h*ll hope so, the last thing I want is to be hunting in the woods (or any of my family) with a solo ten year old packing a high power rifle...

I'm pretty sure 10 and 11 year olds must be accompanied in the field. 12 year olds however are so much more responsible and don't need to be lol

ALL of those apps should have been taken out of the drawings Period ..It is NOT fair at all to those that read & understood the rules again F&G wasted time & $$ putting worthless Crap in the regs !! F&G does what they want no matter what they say or put in writing another perfect example of how IF&G works & treats us !!

>Just a quick question here.. do
>ten year olds have to
>be accompanied in the field
>while hunting big game?
>
>I sure the h*ll hope so,
>the last thing I want
>is to be hunting in
>the woods (or any of
>my family) with a solo
>ten year old packing a
>high power rifle...

Not relative to the current topic but I believe they do need to be within a reasonable distance.

it CLEARLY states in the controlled hunts info pages that all successful aps will be notified BY JULY 10TH !!! this is still June seems like F&G still has PLENTY of time to pull those unqualified aps & draw the correct aps !!!

>it CLEARLY states in the controlled
>hunts info pages that all
>successful aps will be notified
>BY JULY 10TH !!!
>this is still June
>seems like F&G still has
>PLENTY of time to pull
>those unqualified aps & draw
>the correct aps !!!

That's what I tried to tell the lady today. And she began to get shorter and shorter with me.

At first I didn't put thought into this. But the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. IMO at the very least the tags drawn need to be retracted and put back into the 2nd drawing. For disregarding the regs, citations need to be issued. Every citation ever issued, was due to not following rules. Now Fish and Game are not following the very rules that they make us toe the line on.

I want to know how many of the illegal apps had party draws!!!
Ron

A little off topic but I went to my 10 year old daughter hunters ed field day last Saturday. I didn't realize how little most ten year olds are, my daughter included. 95 percent of these kids were not big enough to handle the 22's that were used. I am a big proponent of getting the kids out there with us, but I cannot in good faith allow my daughter to pack a rifle until she is bigger. Just my two cents.

>I want to know how many
>of the illegal apps had
>party draws!!!
>Ron

She wouldn't tell me how many actually won a tag but there were 900+ illegal applicants which those that were in parties included a total of about 2500 total applicants

This whole 10 & 11 year old thing was a mistake to begin with IMO, but that's beside the point. To be honest they probably shouldn't even allow them to participate in the draw till they are 12...aren't they supposed to be learning more about sportsmanship, hunting ethics, and game and field care...rather than putting in for trophy tags so their parents will have more opportunities to hunt those areas? These kids should be learning that it's also about meat on the table not a trophy on the wall...that will come in time. Shoot your trophy at 10 years old...then your kind of ruined for life. This is really all about the parents with this fiasco...no way a 10 or 11...or even 12 year old really has the mentality to care about putting into draws...it's because their parents did it. So I believe the parent should be reprimanded for sure...besides just their lack of common sense and ethics. I wonder how many parent's with 10 year old ran down their the first day to buy their tags just in case F&G decided to do something about this after the fact. They should still retract all tags, group or individual that had 10 or 11 year olds on them, and throw them in a second draw...that's about all they can do now, unless they could somehow delete them from the database...and just move those next people up in the original draw. I don't care if I have to wait till the middle or end of July...if that's how long it takes, that's the only way to make this right, otherwise the commissioners or whomever...need impeached...they might anyways because of this.

Do you think they are working on something now...or sitting around waiting for all of us to calm down, and let it go?

I agree. My 10 year old daughter want's to hunt now...but I told her she has to wait till she can hold a gun properly, one that will be able to ethically kill a deer. Even my 12 year old daughter cannot hold a 7mm-08..even though she took hunter's ed last year. The great thing is...she knows she can't, so she said she didn't want to hunt this year. That my friends...is common sense and ethics.

Not dad or grandpa packing the rifle for their 10 year old till they see something to shoot...or dare I say it, shooting it for them.

>A little off topic but I
>went to my 10 year
>old daughter hunters ed field
>day last Saturday. I didn't
>realize how little most ten
>year olds are, my daughter
>included. 95 percent of these
>kids were not big enough
>to handle the 22's that
>were used. I am a
>big proponent of getting the
>kids out there with us,
>but I cannot in good
>faith allow my daughter to
>pack a rifle until she
>is bigger. Just my two
>cents.

>This whole 10 & 11 year
>old thing was a mistake
>to begin with IMO, but
>that's beside the point.
>To be honest they probably
>shouldn't even allow them to
>participate in the draw till
>they are 12...aren't they supposed
>to be learning more about
>sportsmanship, hunting ethics, and game
>and field care...rather than putting
>in for trophy tags so
>their parents will have more
>opportunities to hunt those areas?
> These kids should be
>learning that it's also about
>meat on the table not
>a trophy on the wall...that
>will come in time.
>Shoot your trophy at 10
>years old...then your kind of
>ruined for life. This
>is really all about the
>parents with this fiasco...no way
>a 10 or 11...or even
>12 year old really has
>the mentality to care about
>putting into draws...it's because their
>parents did it. So
>I believe the parent should
>be reprimanded for sure...besides just
>their lack of common sense
>and ethics. I wonder
>how many parent's with 10
>year old ran down their
>the first day to buy
>their tags just in case
>F&G decided to do something
>about this after the fact.
> They should still retract
>all tags, group or individual
>that had 10 or 11
>year olds on them, and
>throw them in a second
>draw...that's about all they can
>do now, unless they could
>somehow delete them from the
>database...and just move those next
>people up in the original
>draw. I don't care
>if I have to wait
>till the middle or end
>of July...if that's how long
>it takes, that's the only
>way to make this right,
>otherwise the commissioners or whomever...need
>impeached...they might anyways because of
>this.
>
>Do you think they are working
>on something now...or sitting around
>waiting for all of us
>to calm down, and let
>it go?

What I was told was basically get over it.

She said they are considering writing everyone involved a warning letter. And she went so far as to liken it to be the same as a warden in the field that has discretion to cite or warn.

Not acceptable

Can someone point me to commissioner contact info. It's time to blow them up

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/commission/?getPage=184

Think their might be some public involvement on the next meetings?

I suggest sending something to everything you can think of...and if they get multiple ones from people....they will look into it. IDFG, Governor's office, KTVB, Idaho Statesman...etc.

ommission MembersFriday, June 27, 2014

Panhandle Commissioner - Brad Corkill
Brad Corkill
14701 S. Shady Lane
Cataldo, ID 83810
(208) 682-3253 (h)
(208) 682-4602 (w)
[email protected]

Brad Corkill, of Cataldo, is the commissioner representing the Panhandle Region.
Brad is the owner of Whiteman Lumber. He has a bachelor's degree in forest engineering. He previously served on both the St. Maries School Board and the Kellogg School Board, and he was a member of the Charter School Commission. Brad also was a member and past president of the Shoshone Medical Center Foundation, and he is a lifelong hunter and angler. He is a Republican.
Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2017.

Fred Trevey, of Lewiston, is the commissioner representing the Clearwater Region.
Fred has been a natural resource management consultant in Lewiston since 1999. Before that, he served as supervisor of the Clearwater National Forest from 1988 to 1991, and of the Coconino National Forest from 1991 to 1998. He holds a bachelors degree in forestry and wildlife management from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and 32 years of professional experience in natural resources management. Trevey also is a member of the Kelly Creek Flycasters. He is an Independent.
Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2015. Clearwater Commissioner - Fred Trevey
Fred Trevey
6626 Cougar Ridge Road
Lewiston, Idaho 83501
(208) 743-5465
[email protected]

Southwest Commissioner - Bob Barowsky
Bob Barowsky
P.O. Box 79
Fruitland, Idaho 83619
(208) 452-3812 (h)
[email protected]

Bob Barowsky, of Fruitland, is the commissioner representing the Southwest Region.
Bob retired in 2005 after a 35-year law enforcement career and the last 25 years as Payette County sheriff. He was also a Fruitland city councilman and leader in several civic organizations. He served as president of the Idaho Sheriffs Association in 1997. He is a Democrat.
Barowsky ran for the Idaho Senate in 2004 as a Democrat. He withdrew from the campaign for that same office this year to take the position on the Commission.
"Having been born and raised in Idaho, I have a great respect and love for all of Idaho's natural resources. I have hunted and fished for several decades, and I have a strong commitment to maintain for every resident the wonderful opportunities that I had to enjoy all aspects of Idaho's outdoor activities," Barowsky said.
Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2014.

Mark Doerr, of Kimberly, is the Commissioner representing the Magic Valley Region.
Mark is the owner of Precision Aviation Inc. of Twin Falls. He has a Bachelor of Science in aviation and is a lifelong resident of the Magic Valley. He has been active in hunting, fishing and trapping since his youth and has continued the tradition with his family. He is a member of Ducks Unlimited. He is a Republican.

?Hunting and fishing are part of our Idaho heritage. I look forward to representing the Magic Valley and continuing the quality stewardship of Idaho?s wildlife exemplified by the current and past Fish and Game Commissions.?

Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2016.
Magic Valley Commissioner Mark Doerr
Mark Doerr
3513 E. 3985 N.
Kimberly, ID 83341
(208) 308-1852 (work)
(208) 421-4710 (cell)
[email protected]

Southeast Commissioner - Randy Budge
Randy Budge
201 E. Center
Pocatello, ID 83201
(208) 232-6101, Ext 340 (w)
(208) 233-6642 (h)
[email protected]

Randy Budge, of Pocatello, is the commissioner representing the Southeast Region.
The son of former state Sen. Reed Budge, Randy grew up on a cattle ranch near Soda Springs. He earned degrees in business finance and economics from Utah State University in 1973 and a law degree from the University of Idaho, College of Law in 1976. Budge has been practicing law in Pocatello since 1980. He is a Republican.
A lifelong hunter and angler, he is active in several sportsman organizations and was one of the founding members of the southeast Idaho chapter of Pheasants Forever. He is the organization's habitat coordinator, working on upland game bird habitat in four counties. He also is a member of Trout Unlimited and a past member of Ducks Unlimited.
"I have a passion for wildlife and continuing our great hunting heritage that we have in Idaho," Budge said. "I want to be sure that our future generations can enjoy this privilege as well."
Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2014.

Kenny Anderson, of Rigby, is the commissioner for the Upper Snake Region.
Kenny is the founder and owner of Anderson Cabinet and Millwork. The 1971 graduate of what then was Ricks College in Rexburg ? now BYU-Idaho ? is an avid sportsman and member of the National Rifle Association. A lifelong eastern Idaho resident, Anderson and his wife, Karen, have four children and three grandchildren. He is a Republican.
Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2015. Upper Snake Commissioner Kenny Anderson
Kenny Anderson
4649 E. 250 N.
Rigby, Idaho 83442
(208) 317-7415
[email protected]

Salmon Commissioner - Will Naillon
Will Naillon
HC 63 Box 1812
987 Foothills Road
Challis, ID 83226
(208) 833-4799 (c)
[email protected]

Will Naillon, of Challis, is the commissioner representing the Salmon Region.
Will is a fifth generation resident of Custer County Idaho. He received his education in Boise and now resides in Challis with his wife and son. Will works as an environmental specialist for Hecla Mining Company with whom he has been employed for over twenty years. He is an Independent.
Will is a lifetime sportsman, a hunter education instructor, a member of the Boone and Crockett Club, the Wild Sheep foundation, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and the Central Idaho Rod and Gun Club.
Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2016.

Page 109 of the regulations states.
Unreadable, Incomplete Applications:
Any application that is unreadable, has incomplete or incorrect hunt or license numbers, or that lacks the required fee will be declared void and will not be entered in the drawing. if the fish and game can find these mistakes and void someone how could they not notice and void the 10 year old mistake just as easy. It is obviously the fish and games at fault for letting this happen the application should have never been accepted. It's not the 10 year olds fault or the parent or guardian. It sole lies on fish and game for accepting the applications. There reasoning for letting them go through to save time is BS. I personally have drawn 2 deer tags in 30 years so waiting a extra month for results that are fair and right I have no problem with that. Hopefully they will man up and accept responsibility for there out right mistake.

I disagree. The parent or whoever bought the licence and application is also, and the most at fault. The people that put those kids in should be held responsible. Slap the kids on the wrist with a warning. All the tags should go to the second draw. The Dads or show ever put them in lose their ability to apply for the draw for the next 5 years.
Ron

I get your point Ron but fish and game should have had there system set up to not accept those hunting license. I have a nephew who is on the cut line. I bought him a life time license when he was born my brother went and picked it up for him and they gave him a license that is valid for 3 years at the same time he put himself in for his controlled hunts. The fish and game officer asked why he didn't put my nephew in for any hunts and it confused my brother but he read the regulations and new the rule and never put him in . I told my brother today what was going on and he was like crap I new I should have put him in for the hunts. I guess some times it doesn't pay to be honest at least that's what fish and game are portraying.

Here is a good chance to be heard. There is a IF&G Commission Quarterly meeting July 9th in Salmon.
Public Hearing is 7:00p.m.
Review of the public comment 8:10a.m. July 10th.
Here is the link.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/commission/?getPage=184

Involvement prior through email and phone calls to the commissioners and directors would be critical. Getting organized and show up in numbers is even more critical. 20 would not be to many and the more the better. everyone on the same page is critical as well. A group wanting a bunch of different things or small numbers will likely get no results.
You fill out a card for what you are there for. This would fall under new business. You then get called to the podium by the commission chair to speak to the commissioners. You have three minutes to speak and you don't get to go over.

IMO this is another horrible decision by the directors office again! Two years in a row. Unbelievable! They produce a regulation that all sportsman should know and follow and they don't hold those accountable for that responsibility. Now we have 900+ 10 and 11 year old kids involved and a percentage of them will likely disregard that responsibility in the future. The rain check on the unit 11 bighorn sheep hunter from 2011 was just as bad of decision by the directors office by not following the regulations and holding the sportsman accountable to know the regulations and the rule and the sportsman's responsibility. The involvement on the front end of that effort to the commission to overturn this was good but there just was not enough presence from the sportsman at the commission meeting to change it.
Those that would ignore the regulation and likely was trying to break the rule have already likely picked up the tags. This would make it more difficult but these tags could still be canceled and demanded they be returned to the directors office and accounted for.

Did you read the press release?

Sounds like they got wind of the lawsuit and figured the best gather the wagons.

Did you catch the part that they were "mainly part of group applications".
I bet some of those cheating bastards that put them in for the tags have already purchased the tags. If they have, they should prosecute them. They know they broke the law and something is coming. The others that were on that application should lose theirs as well. It was an illegal application.

>ommission MembersFriday, June 27, 2014
>
>Panhandle Commissioner - Brad Corkill
>Brad Corkill
>14701 S. Shady Lane
>Cataldo, ID 83810
>(208) 682-3253 (h)
>(208) 682-4602 (w)
>[email protected]
>
>Brad Corkill, of Cataldo, is the
>commissioner representing the Panhandle Region.
>
>Brad is the owner of Whiteman
>Lumber. He has a bachelor's
>degree in forest engineering. He
>previously served on both the
>St. Maries School Board and
>the Kellogg School Board, and
>he was a member of
>the Charter School Commission. Brad
>also was a member and
>past president of the Shoshone
>Medical Center Foundation, and he
>is a lifelong hunter and
>angler. He is a Republican.
>
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2017.
>
>
>
>
>
>Fred Trevey, of Lewiston, is the
>commissioner representing the Clearwater Region.
>
>Fred has been a natural resource
>management consultant in Lewiston since
>1999. Before that, he served
>as supervisor of the Clearwater
>National Forest from 1988 to
>1991, and of the Coconino
>National Forest from 1991 to
>1998. He holds a bachelors
>degree in forestry and wildlife
>management from Virginia Polytechnic Institute
>and 32 years of professional
>experience in natural resources management.
>Trevey also is a member
>of the Kelly Creek Flycasters.
>He is an Independent.
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2015.
>Clearwater Commissioner - Fred Trevey
>
>Fred Trevey
>6626 Cougar Ridge Road
>Lewiston, Idaho 83501
>(208) 743-5465
>[email protected]
>
>
>
>
>
>Southwest Commissioner - Bob Barowsky
>Bob Barowsky
>P.O. Box 79
>Fruitland, Idaho 83619
>(208) 452-3812 (h)
>[email protected]
>
>Bob Barowsky, of Fruitland, is the
>commissioner representing the Southwest Region.
>
>Bob retired in 2005 after a
>35-year law enforcement career and
>the last 25 years as
>Payette County sheriff. He was
>also a Fruitland city councilman
>and leader in several civic
>organizations. He served as president
>of the Idaho Sheriffs Association
>in 1997. He is a
>Democrat.
>Barowsky ran for the Idaho Senate
>in 2004 as a Democrat.
>He withdrew from the campaign
>for that same office this
>year to take the position
>on the Commission.
>"Having been born and raised in
>Idaho, I have a great
>respect and love for all
>of Idaho's natural resources. I
>have hunted and fished for
>several decades, and I have
>a strong commitment to maintain
>for every resident the wonderful
>opportunities that I had to
>enjoy all aspects of Idaho's
>outdoor activities," Barowsky said.
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2014.
>
>
>
>
>
>Mark Doerr, of Kimberly, is the
>Commissioner representing the Magic Valley
>Region.
>Mark is the owner of Precision
>Aviation Inc. of Twin Falls.
>He has a Bachelor of
>Science in aviation and is
>a lifelong resident of the
>Magic Valley. He has been
>active in hunting, fishing and
>trapping since his youth and
>has continued the tradition with
>his family. He is a
>member of Ducks Unlimited. He
>is a Republican.
>
>?Hunting and fishing are part of
>our Idaho heritage. I look
>forward to representing the Magic
>Valley and continuing the quality
>stewardship of Idaho?s wildlife exemplified
>by the current and past
>Fish and Game Commissions.?
>
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2016.
>
>Magic Valley Commissioner Mark Doerr
>Mark Doerr
>3513 E. 3985 N.
>Kimberly, ID 83341
>(208) 308-1852 (work)
>(208) 421-4710 (cell)
>[email protected]
>
>
>
>
>
>Southeast Commissioner - Randy Budge
>Randy Budge
>201 E. Center
>Pocatello, ID 83201
>(208) 232-6101, Ext 340 (w)
>(208) 233-6642 (h)
>[email protected]
>
>Randy Budge, of Pocatello, is the
>commissioner representing the Southeast Region.
>
>The son of former state Sen.
>Reed Budge, Randy grew up
>on a cattle ranch near
>Soda Springs. He earned degrees
>in business finance and economics
>from Utah State University in
>1973 and a law degree
>from the University of Idaho,
>College of Law in 1976.
>Budge has been practicing law
>in Pocatello since 1980. He
>is a Republican.
>A lifelong hunter and angler, he
>is active in several sportsman
>organizations and was one of
>the founding members of the
>southeast Idaho chapter of Pheasants
>Forever. He is the organization's
>habitat coordinator, working on upland
>game bird habitat in four
>counties. He also is a
>member of Trout Unlimited and
>a past member of Ducks
>Unlimited.
>"I have a passion for wildlife
>and continuing our great hunting
>heritage that we have in
>Idaho," Budge said. "I want
>to be sure that our
>future generations can enjoy this
>privilege as well."
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2014.
>
>
>
>
>
>Kenny Anderson, of Rigby, is the
>commissioner for the Upper Snake
>Region.
>Kenny is the founder and owner
>of Anderson Cabinet and Millwork.
>The 1971 graduate of what
>then was Ricks College in
>Rexburg ? now BYU-Idaho ?
>is an avid sportsman and
>member of the National Rifle
>Association. A lifelong eastern Idaho
>resident, Anderson and his wife,
>Karen, have four children and
>three grandchildren. He is a
>Republican.
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2015.
>Upper Snake Commissioner Kenny Anderson
>
>Kenny Anderson
>4649 E. 250 N.
>Rigby, Idaho 83442
>(208) 317-7415
>[email protected]
>
>
>
>
>
>Salmon Commissioner - Will Naillon
>Will Naillon
>HC 63 Box 1812
>987 Foothills Road
>Challis, ID 83226
>(208) 833-4799 (c)
>[email protected]
>
>Will Naillon, of Challis, is the
>commissioner representing the Salmon Region.
>
>Will is a fifth generation resident
>of Custer County Idaho.
>He received his education in
>Boise and now resides in
>Challis with his wife and
>son. Will works as an
>environmental specialist for Hecla Mining
>Company with whom he has
>been employed for over twenty
>years. He is an Independent.
>
>Will is a lifetime sportsman, a
>hunter education instructor, a member
>of the Boone and Crockett
>Club, the Wild Sheep foundation,
>the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
>and the Central Idaho Rod
>and Gun Club.
>Commission appointment expires: June 30, 2016.
>

I just emailed all of them, thank you for their emails.

Typical f&g screw up and typical f&g solution. Seen some of the new recruits for this year......Scary!!!!

They are just giving everyone time to cool down.
Keep the heat on!!!

Justin

just pulled my 2014 regs back out also on page 108 under TAGS it CLEARLY is written TAGS ISSUED BASED ON ERRONEOUS INFORMATION ARE INVALID AND MAY NOT BE USED !!!!! IT also states that F&G will NOTIFY the person if the TAG has been INVALIDATED !!! HOW are these 1000 PLUS tags NOT drawn off ERRONROUS INFO ??? I was told by F&G that almost 100 % of these tags drawn were on party tags !! as it is written by F&G these TAGS are INVALID contact them as they say they will & PULL THEM ALL simple END OF STORY !!!!

It's like illegal aliens crossing the border. Can't tick people off so just let them go.
I have to follow the laws. IDFG - they need to make this right. If some new 3pt minimum or better was stated and 1 out of 10 shot for kids would they say oopsy and let them off ???

My fifteen year old son didn't draw a youth muzzle-loader permit for pronghorn that according to the draw odds, had an almost 80% chance to draw. I wonder how many of these permits went to illegal 10 and 11-year-olds? The solution of warning letters sent to the offenders is not acceptable! All permits drawn on illegal applications need to be revoked and put into the second drawing. All individual and/or parties involved in illegal applications (with 10 or 11-year-olds)in the first drawing should not be eligible for the second drawing. I would be satisfied with this solution.

Ok

I called and a statement will be issued by 5 pm today on the IDFG website. They are taking names and numbers. Call and be polite but do it now. They need to hear your voices. I called Boise...

RE:

The law and the Regulation are pretty clear...

Effective July 1, 2014
? the minimum age to hunt big game
was lowered from 12 to 10. A 9-year old may buy a license to
apply for a controlled hunt tag, but he or she must be 10 years
old at the time of the hunt.

Since this law does not take effect until July 1, 2014, hunters
who are 10 cannot apply for big game controlled hunts in the
first controlled hunt application periods (April-June), but a
9-year old who will turn 10 during the season can apply in the
second application period in August

Cannot apply for big game controlled hunts, but may apply in the second application.

RE: Ok

Guaranteed the decision will come directly from the attorneys office. Would think a lawsuit is more likely if they don't overturn their ignorant decision to look the other way until voices started calling them out.

Just called the director's office...my opinion (name, ph number) will be emailed to the F&G director...
Call fellas, be kind. The gal I talked to was very kind and frankly I think she ageed we us here.

Decision will be likely tomorrow...

I don't have a dog in the fight but shame, shame, shame on IDFG.

I know it's off topic but 10 year olds with high power rifles? What's this money-grubbibg world coming to?

WE cannot pick and choose what laws we adhere to, why should the rule makers be different? SAD DEAL.

Zeke

These permits, if they do pull them. Need to be drawn again but not in the second chance drawing. They need to draw again from the current pool of applicants. We should not have to pay to join the second chance drawing for these same permits.

They should have a database...I mean I don't know exactly how it's done. But after they remove those ineligible, they should just move everyone up on the list in the positions they were at...and see who drew. Not redo the entire thing again.

Thanks, Zeke. Yours is one of the few opinions worth considering on this thread. It would seem the FNG would have systems in place to prevent this type of thing from happening. If not, what would stop unsuccessful OIL applicants from applying for deer, elk and antelope? Or successful sheep hunters from applying for the other subspecies the following year? This doesn't appear to be an applicant problem to me as much as an administrative error. Many of the applications may have been submitted before the printed regulations became available. If 10 year olds weren't to be included in the draw their applications should have been stopped at the vendor level. If this isn't the case, could an 8 yo apply?

Anyone with a license can apply for any controlled hunt tag. after name is drawn they verify that persons eligibility and award the tag.

If you can't read and understand the regulations you are simply making a donation to IDF&g

Justin

>Thanks, Zeke. Yours is one
>of the few opinions worth
>considering on this thread.

I would take this personal but your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject makes your opinion unimportant to me.

Justin

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-14 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]
> Many of the applications
>may have been submitted before
>the printed regulations became available.
>

The printed regulationsare are available well in advance of the draw application period.
Justin

ok new press release should be up any minute they just took down fridays release

Take it personal, there are vast amounts of gray area even after studying the regs. If you don't know that you don't read them enough. An FNG employee told me 10 yo's could apply.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-14 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]They were available online, yes, but the printed version wasn't around on the opening day of the application period.

I don't believe anyone puts into the draw without out looking at the regulation first. The hunt numbers change every year with the addition or exclusion of some hunts. They print a (what's new) section in the regs every year that cover all new laws.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-14
>AT 07:22?PM (MST)

>
>They were available online, yes, but
>the printed version wasn't around
>on the opening day of
>the application period.

No you are wrong I had printed reg in my hands in April.
Justin

>Take it personal, there are vast
>amounts of gray area even
>after studying the regs.
>If you don't know that
>you don't read them enough.
>An FNG employee told me
>10 yo's could apply.

Its OK I believe you did have trouble understanding.

What did the kid draw??

Justin

Justin, you're missing the point. You said it yourself. If the system checks eligibility then all unqualified applicants should NOT be considered, but they were. This is an FNG problem, and that's why I like Zekes opinion. Obviously there was a ton of confusion but if you're correct, then the confused would only have been donating their application fee and none of this would have happened.

Don't hold your breath...maybe tomorrow unless they are burning the midnight oil...hahaha.

>Justin, you're missing the point.
>You said it yourself.
>If the system checks eligibility
>then all unqualified applicants should
>NOT be considered, but they
>were. This is an FNG
>problem, and that's why I
>like Zekes opinion. Obviously
>there was a ton of
>confusion but if you're correct,
>then the confused would only
>have been donating their application
>fee and none of this
>would have happened.
I see how you would feel this way but at the end of the day it is your responsibility to know the rules. This particular rule was in very clear print.

My issue is with IDF&g for catching the applications and allowing them to draw tags knowing the were doing a great injustice to literally thousands of 9&10 year olds who followed the rules.
I don't like the idea of breaking some kids hearts by taking their tags away but at the end of the day I don't feel guilty the only ones who should feel guilty are the parents who put them in for tags when they were ineligible and the Fish and Game Department for allowing them to draw and then having to take them back because it was illegal.

Ignorance or intentional those people should be ashamed of what they did!

Justin

I see Fridays release still is up.

"My issue is with IDF&g for catching the applications and allowing them to draw tags knowing the were doing a great injustice to literally thousands of 9&10 year olds who followed the rules."

I agree.

"the only ones who should feel guilty are the parents who put them in for tags"

I disagree and so do you. According to you they should have been disqualified from the application process and their application fee was a donation. If the system worked this would have been a nonevent.

"Fish and Game Department for allowing them to draw and then having to take them back because it was illegal."

I agree.

"Ignorance or intentional those people should be ashamed of what they did!"

You're right! The FNG should not have awarded tags to individuals outside what the regulations stated. As for the parents, let them donate their application fee but the system should kick the application out.

"Ignorance is no excuse for the law". I had a judge tell me that once. If you failed to read, to understand, or decided to disobey the law it is no ones fault but your own. I don't feel bad for anyone or any kid that has his or her tag(s) taken away for not following the law.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Here is the desicion made by the Director.

Commissioners,
I have decided to allow the 362 kids who drew 363 permits to keep them. I
appreciate all the advice I have heard but the narrative below explains my
thinking and will be the foundation for communication with Idaho hunters.

Below is my message to Communicate this that were are editing:

After full review of all information and facts relative to requests for
reconsideration of my June 25, 2014 decision to allow applications for youth
hunters of age 9 through 11 for deer, elk and antelope to be drawn contrary
to guidance given by the Department, I have decided to let the original
decision stand. The administrative hold on these tags is lifted and postal
notification of all successful applicants will commence.

My decision is based on several factors. First and foremost is that there
are 362 young hunters who drew tags that will have their first opportunity
for a hunt taken from them if we reverse the decision. While I may have been
shortsighted in the original decision, I stand by these kids, their parents
and their excitement, in allowing them to proceed with their first hunting
opportunity for big game using these permits. I simply can not bring myself
to disappoint them given the confusion about this issue. I sincerely believe
that parents and kids thought they were acting legitimately. I ask those
parents that did not submit application to place themselves in the shoes of
the parents whose kids drew these permits, through no fault of theirs. Two
wrongs do not make a right.

Second, the Department guidance for the application process was not clear
and consistent in its placement or wording in the 2014 Big Game season and
rule brochure. For example on page 11 of the brochure under What's New -
Hunting Age, there is reference that an age 10 hunter may hunt big game in
2014 as long as they are accompanied by an adult, but there no mention of
the guidance on control hunts that occurs later on page 108. The deer CH
section mentions the youth guidance for age 10 hunters relative to not being
eligible to apply for the youth CH, but the elk and antelope control hunt
section do not have this same information. No mention in the brochure is
made for 11 year old who are not 12 at the time of the hunt being
ineligible. This was done in a news release latter.

Third, there is no Commission rule or Idaho law that established the
Department guidance. It was and is an administrative decision. This is a one
time occurrence that will never happen again. As of today any youth with a
hunting license who will be age 10 at the time of the hunt can apply for a
control hunt. There was no legislative intent language in House Bill 399 to
delay the control hunt opportunity for 2014 big game seasons. That was our
interpretation as an agency that we did not adequately or clearly
communicate to all. Thus no violation of rule was conducted by those who
were not aware of the administrative guidance and submitted an application
and drew a permit. Many very knowledgeable hunters I talked to that were
supportive of this legislation submitted control hunt applications for these
tags based on their understanding of the new law.

Finally, for those who asked us to address their concern that the 1000 youth
applicants may have affected their drawing a permit odds in the various
hunts, we will add an additional 363 permits back into each of these deer,
elk and antelope hunts. A draw for those from the age 11 (who will be 12 at
the time of their hunt) and older hunters in the existing applicant pool
will take place for these added in tags to address their understandable
concern.

I recognize my decision does not address the many children and parents who
paid attention to the Department's guidance and did not apply. I cannot make
right the potential lost opportunity. I owe an apology to about 1,500 age 9,
10 and 11 youth (and their parents) for a decision that runs counter to
their abiding by our guidance. I deeply regret that I have disappointed you.
I will be sending a letter to each with a gift certificate of sufficient
value for the control hunt application fees for the second control hunt or
other tags and licenses. You are justified in being upset with me in this
decision and I accept that criticism.

I hope that we as Idaho hunters can get beyond this decision and back to
enjoying the many remaining opportunities for second control hunt draw for
leftover tags along with the numerous Idaho general hunts for deer and elk,
including some with specific youth opportunities. Further, I hope that
parents and grandparents remember their opportunity to designate a control
hunt tag to their eligible child or grandchild. Thank You for your
understanding.

That's about as diplomatic of an outcome as one could get I suppose

One must assume that the 300+ tags will be awarded through the original draw database ie next in line.

I can't say I'm totally thrilled with the decision but it could have been a whole lot worse

Tough decision. I can't say I can fault him for what he is trying to do. A mistake was made, but I support their attempt at repairing it.

Grizzly

I wanna know in detail how they're putting a tag back in to draw and just how much this was going to cost the department?
Justin

>Tough decision. I can't say I
>can fault him for what
>he is trying to do.
>A mistake was made, but
>I support their attempt at
>repairing it.
>
>Grizzly

PM Sent.

>I wanna know in detail how
>they're putting a tag back
>in to draw and just
>how much this was going
>to cost the department?
>Justin

Shouldn't they make money with the additional tag sales?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom