Tuesday was leftover...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...night in the form of tasty hot Reuben sandwiches of cornbeef, Swiss cheese & sauerkraut on rye bread with mustard & horseradish. Homemade slaw, fries & kosher dill slices on the side.

reubenB.JPG

reubenB2.JPG

Our local Irish pub has an amazing Reuben, and I think I could eat one every day!!! Love them.

This argument has been going on for ages, and I don't really believe one version or another. I'm just darn glad somebody decided to build them!!!

This argument has been going on for ages, and I don't really believe one version or another. I'm just darn glad somebody decided to build them!!!
Tradition, tradition, tradition..... Even Arby's uses rye. Otherwise it's a grilled cornbeef & cheese sandwich with kraut.

So here's the humorous part...it's the only time I eat rye bread. I don't like it unless it is first grilled ala a Reuben. Same for whole wheat. I'm a white bread type. Of course, I like various rolls & loaves as long as they are also white.

Haha. Misunderstanding here. I LOVE rye bread, marbled rye makes the best Reubens, and I typically use dark rye and hot mustard and horseradish for my pastrami sandwiches. Like you, I love all white loaves, rolls, fresh bread and biscuits.

I was just commenting on the origin. Arnold Reuben actually owned a 5-star restaurant on Broadway, not just a deli. Claims vary from him making it (originally it was ham and turkey), to a friend of his, to just a night cook feeding a woman getting off the show late. Seems in those stories, Arlene (?) Seelos played the part of the hungry actress. Growing up in NYC and NJ, that was what I was raised on, Jewish deli sandwiches!!! Other versions have it originating in Chicago, and Omaha Nebraska during a poker game late at night. Who really knows the truth???

I do not like Rye bread. Call it a fake Reuben, but I love good sandwiches.

Quick question, what if my name was Ruben, could I have a Ruben sandwich? ;)

Haha. Misunderstanding here. I LOVE rye bread, marbled rye makes the best Reubens, and I typically use dark rye and hot mustard and horseradish for my pastrami sandwiches. Like you, I love all white loaves, rolls, fresh bread and biscuits.

I was just commenting on the origin. Arnold Reuben actually owned a 5-star restaurant on Broadway, not just a deli. Claims vary from him making it (originally it was ham and turkey), to a friend of his, to just a night cook feeding a woman getting off the show late. Seems in those stories, Arlene (?) Seelos played the part of the hungry actress. Growing up in NYC and NJ, that was what I was raised on, Jewish deli sandwiches!!! Other versions have it originating in Chicago, and Omaha Nebraska during a poker game late at night. Who really knows the truth???
Aaaha,. Yeah, I was aware of and had read those different opinions. I like to go with the earliest, which was the NYC version. Even that one has differening opinions on how Reuben got hold of it even.

I didn't realize your roots are the same as mine. I grew up in Bergen County. When I ran track in HS we went to meets at Van Courtland Park. Nearby was a corner deli that sold the best heros I've ever had. I think it was Italian, tho. After a race, we would head there to buy one for the bus ride home.

Yep, White Plains NY and then Union County (New Providence and Summit). My best paying job was driving a mob boss in the garbage business around to appointments. :)

I do not like Rye bread. Call it a fake Reuben, but I love good sandwiches.

Quick question, what if my name was Ruben, could I have a Ruben sandwich? ;)
Keep with the times! A Faux Reuben, sir, not fake. Heck, you can have a Snoopy sandwich if you want. :cool:

Did you see my other reply about my dislike of rye bread?

Did you deliver Reuben's to the Ravenite Social Club? ;)

You only eat the Rye with a Reuben--yes? I get the tradition, but for me--nah. I'll take the faux, grilled corned beef with cheese.

Did you deliver Reuben's to the Ravenite Social Club? ;)

You only eat the Rye with a Reuben--yes? I get the tradition, but for me--nah. I'll take the faux, grilled corned beef with cheese.
Yup. Reuben only, i.e. it's grilled & actually tastes different to me.

I really don’t like Reuben bread, nasty. Really really don’t like processed (when discussing it with my wife I use the term, “rotting”) cabbage. Can’t think of two good things to say for corn beef.
However...... when combined, with whatever dressing they put on it, it’s delicious....... so who every figured it out, good on him, made a dang good meal out of a pretty sorry pantry.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom