Uncock your rifle for storage?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I have always left my guns with the firing pin cocked during storage. Is that ok? If not what do you do pull trigger with a empty round and leave it like that until next year?

Think about it why keep tension on the spring while storing? I always leave it with fired/ unlocked position

Last edited:
Definitely store it in the fired position. Check to make sure the chamber is clear and dry fire it and store it.
Very common misconception that you can’t dry fire a modern rifle. Only ones to be careful of are titanium firing pins and some rimfire. If you are worried about the firing pin/spring you can easy make a snap cap with a piece of fired brass and fill the primer pocket with silicon or a pencil eraser.

As sad before with the bolt open depress the trigger and keep it depressed as you close the bolt. Now your rifle is uncocked and firing pin spring relaxed.

Never thought about it, one rifle has been stored for almost a couple of decades without it being "uncocked" prior to storage. Shot it last year with no problems.

This is the corollary question to "is it ok to dry fire".

Answer is sorta the same. Modern firearms are designed for far more cycles than most of us will ever put them thru, so the reality is most of us don't have to worry about it.

But the physics says each cycle causes wear, and there are only a finite number of them. And tension creates stress, so I don't dry fire and I relieve the springs.

I'm talking about bolt guns and floating pins here, not revolvers.

Never gave it a thought. I have stored bolt action rifles coked for 20-40 years, no problem. but maybe i am just lucky.

"bad on Ford and Chevrolet, but good on you"

I don't mind taking the tension off the spring but my firearms stay loaded. Not in the chamber but magazines are full. Same deal in my pickup. Sometimes you want to shoot quickly. I stay ready. Thank God Wypming has good gun laws.

Kind of the same discussion about leaving pistol mags loaded and it weakening the spring. Springs weaken by cycling. So compression and decompression. A constantly compressed spring should maintain its tension.

In contrast a over extended spring never goes back. Think about when you are a kid and you stretched your slinky out. I the other hand if you didn’t it would last forever.

All that being said I store my rifles bolt closed and un cocked

The guy asked a question... he may not know and really like some insight. You guys are like the dik heads in gun shops that be little people that may have never held a gun before. They really do a lot to help someone wanting to learn...

Cocked/uncocked... doesn't matter. A spring of this size under this kind of tension would have to rust in that position to lose compression. Can you dry fire??? Ask myself and other members of the US Military. Hundreds and thousands of times we'll dry fire rifles and pistols during practice/drills. I have no doubt that it's okay to do one time at the end of the hunting season to store a firearm if you choose to store it uncocked.

I don't mind dry firing other peoples guns either. If my life depended on my weapon, I would wear out a pile of them practicing.

And thanks for your service.

Last edited:
Even if leaving it cocked for so long wouldn't hurt anything I couldn't do it. It would bother me. Would you leave a hammer cocked on a lever gun or muzzleloader?

I don't mind dry firing other peoples guns either. If my life depended on my weapon, I would wear out a pile of them practicing.

And thanks for your service.
The ammo supply was another perk as well :) And you're correct, if I can dry fire that sidearm, and also depend on it to defend myself and my brothers, then I might be able to dry fire a hunting rifle once a year... twice if I'm feeling lucky!

@Muley I'm with you. Regardless of wether or not it's okay for the gun, I couldn't put anything away with it having 'stored energy'.

Maybe I’m confused here, but why on earth would you leave any gun cocked for storage? The question shouldn’t be “is this a bad thing?” Question is “is this a good thing?” My brother law, at 17 years old, took out a rifle from there gun safe that a friend of his fathers had stored there after a hunt. My brother in law was dumb enough to bump the hair trigger on the gun while carrying it out of the house and blew a hole through the floor of their house. Now I know there were lots of mistakes Made in my story, but it starts with the idea of leaving a gun cocked. Not sure I understand the benefits here.

Maybe I’m confused here, but why on earth would you leave any gun cocked for storage? The question shouldn’t be “is this a bad thing?” Question is “is this a good thing?” My brother law, at 17 years old, took out a rifle from there gun safe that a friend of his fathers had stored there after a hunt. My brother in law was dumb enough to bump the hair trigger on the gun while carrying it out of the house and blew a hole through the floor of their house. Now I know there were lots of mistakes Made in my story, but it starts with the idea of leaving a gun cocked. Not sure I understand the benefits here.
uh....no....that is called leaving a gun loaded....

I shot trap long enough to have a few duds. Some guys would stumble half way to the traphouse flinching.

I got so proficient at flinching that I went to a release trigger. Always wondered why they aren't used more off a bench for high powered stuff.

Which brings up guys shooting the sidewalk, but thats inside baseball.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom