Unit 117 Deer

npaden

I drew a unit 61-1 elk tag this year and I'm contemplating applying for a 117 deer tag to have in my pocket just in case we come across a nice muley.

Not much info out there, seems like a pretty low population unit with few tags. I could probably draw a tag with one point in the special draw, but not sure it would be worth it. Maybe if I tag out early for elk, I could move higher looking for deer, but doesn't sound like I'll see many deer in the near vicinity while elk hunting.

Also thought about spending the $ on a bear tag instead. I know there are a lot of grizzlies in there, but what about black bears? How do you check quotas if you are back in the wilderness?

Thanks, Nathan

Looks like the black bear quota was reached on 9/29 last year. Looks like buying a tag would need to be a game time decision. Also, still not sure how I would be able to check the quota back in the wilderness.

>Looks like the black bear quota
>was reached on 9/29 last
>year. Looks like buying
>a tag would need to
>be a game time decision.
> Also, still not sure
>how I would be able
>to check the quota back
>in the wilderness.

***Can't help you on the deer tag decision, but you know what you'll see if you don't have a tag with you, LOL! As far as the bear deal, you would have to have cell coverage to check daily to insure you didn't violate the law and kill one after they closed the season. I have no idea if you would need a satellite phone to do that or if where you'll be will have some kind of regular cell coverage from an open elevation area you might be able to find. God luck on whatever you decide and be safe!

Not knowing your deer points----?

I sure as heck would apply for one in the overlap of your 61 elk tag!

Toss around the bear fee vs the Wolf tag fee.......

Let us face it---a black bear harvest is a dime a dozen but a wolf harvest is OIL! haha

Whatever you decide ~~ enjoy!

Robb

I have 1 point so I wouldn't be burning any extra points to draw it. Last year it was a 75% draw with 1 point in the special draw. (3 out of 4 1st choice applicants). No one with more than 1 point applied for it.

Both seasons open Oct 1st, but I think the deer are still going to be up high and the elk down a bit lower.

Looking at Bob Sundeen's outfitter page they sure don't push the deer hunting and only a couple pictures of harvested bucks on their site and they aren't exactly whoppers like the elk seem to be.

A wolf tag is probably a good idea.

Thanks, Nathan

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 10:26AM (MST)[p]I ended up applying for 117 in the regular draw. Saves $200 and drops my odds of drawing it to around 10%. That way if I draw it, I won't feel too bad if I end up eating it. If I stumble on a nice buck there is a chance I might have a tag in my pocket that way though. Focus is on the elk tag for sure.

I have no idea why I'm even building deer points in Wyoming, maybe a region G tag, but it doesn't really take that many points for that, so burning my whopping 1 point if I draw isn't going to upset me.

Sounds like a plan. I had 63 elk 3 years ago. 5 sheep 2 years ago.. If you are doing elk solo backpack, you have your work cut out for you! I did see a two good (180ish} muleys total on both trips.... But not lots of deer. I don't think I would go up just for the deer. Packing the elk out absolutely kicked my ass! I lost the last load to a grizzly... :( Conserve your energy and concentrate on the elk would be my advice.

>I drew a unit 61-1 elk
>tag this year and I'm
>contemplating applying for a 117
>deer tag to have in
>my pocket just in case
>we come across a nice
>muley.
>
>Not much info out there, seems
>like a pretty low population
>unit with few tags.
>I could probably draw a
>tag with one point in
>the special draw, but not
>sure it would be worth
>it. Maybe if I
>tag out early for elk,
>I could move higher looking
>for deer, but doesn't sound
>like I'll see many deer
>in the near vicinity while
>elk hunting.
>
>Also thought about spending the $
>on a bear tag instead.
> I know there are
>a lot of grizzlies in
>there, but what about black
>bears? How do you
>check quotas if you are
>back in the wilderness?
>
>Thanks, Nathan

I had a 117 deer tag in '09. Scouted it a few times in the summer and found some true whopper bucks. Put in for the tag. There's not a lot of deer but there are some amazing genetics. I can give you some direction if you draw. Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom