Unit 21 Deer Early Archery Tips

Scoon

Hi all, first time poster here. Got luckier than many and drew a 4th choice deer tag. Early Archery Unit 21. Anyone familiar with the area willing to give a few tips on locations/habits of deer. I'm thinking my best bet is to head up high in the wilderness area and hopefully find water. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Very tough hunt hence why you drew as a 4th choice. BIg big unit and lots of checkerboard areas They give out over 300 tags for that archery hunt plus the elk hunters in 21 a and B . Ive seen some good deer near cuchillio or on the outskirts of winston and up near riley peak too. if it were me id stay out of the wilderness and high stuff and hunt glassable areas where you can see for days . Let the glass work for you in that area save your legs for when you do glass one.
I mean thie tag beats sitting at home but its a very tough hunt for archery and for deer in general in that unit.

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on where to find water consistently? I understand the odds are less than ideal for this unit. I'm honestly just happy to get out there and make an effort. With so many people being less fortunate with the draw, I'm just grateful for the opportunity and am excited to get out there and hunt hard whether I'm successful ot not

Well you have the first part down pat, and that is the right attitude. You cant kill one from the couch so this sure beats not hunting . In that country the only for sure water is private inholdings that run cattle. Not sure if you are from NM but we are in a severe drought right now and those areas down south are super super dry and most dirt tanks on public land are dry right now. If we have a good monsoon season they may fill up .

Also in the more arid areas the deer adapt and do not need to drink each day like elk do. They can gather moisture form their food sources . their is also float tanks on some of the BLM or state land that the cattle grazzers lease but not many

Yea as an amateur adult-onset hunter, I just am happy with the experience! I'm from ABQ so I get the drought conditions. I'll probably spend a few weekends this summer just exploring the whole unit. Thanks so much for your advice on it!

Scout bucks during the summer. They will likely be in the same area during your hunt in September. They’re home bodies while they’re in the velvet, and they’ll be pretty visible until they shed their velvet.

Scout bucks during the summer. They will likely be in the same area during your hunt in September. They’re home bodies while they’re in the velvet, and they’ll be pretty visible until they shed their velvet.
That's why I've been thinking the Aldo Leopold. I imagine it should be cooler higher up in the Black Range and the lack of people should certainly help.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom