Unit 33 - 4 wheelers worth hauling?

AaronS

Heading to Unit 33 for 3rd rifle to help out a buddy that drew a deer tag. Putting an OTC bull tag in my pocket as well just in case. I've spent a lot of time in 77/78 so I think I know what to expect here, but we're excited to see some new country and spend some time in the mountains. My biggest question is whether it's worth it for us to haul a trailer up there so we can bring a couple of 4-wheelers, or are we just as well off in the pickup? I have also seen some suggestion in my reading that you can utilize an ATV to retrieve downed game between noon and 5 PM, but only in certain areas. I was under the impression this is not allowed in CO, but are you able to do so in 33?

Thanks in advance, and happy hunting!

Appreciate it. Right now we're figuring on bringing the trailer with a couple 4-wheelers or Mule just in case.

Heading to Unit 33 for 3rd rifle to help out a buddy that drew a deer tag. Putting an OTC bull tag in my pocket as well just in case. I've spent a lot of time in 77/78 so I think I know what to expect here, but we're excited to see some new country and spend some time in the mountains. My biggest question is whether it's worth it for us to haul a trailer up there so we can bring a couple of 4-wheelers, or are we just as well off in the pickup? I have also seen some suggestion in my reading that you can utilize an ATV to retrieve downed game between noon and 5 PM, but only in certain areas. I was under the impression this is not allowed in CO, but are you able to do so in 33?

Thanks in advance, and happy hunting!
I’ve hunted it several times and with the weather that’s potentially coming in here for opening weekend. It’s one of those areas that roads can get really greasy I definitely prefer to be on an ATV than slide my truck off of a cliff. Enclosed sided by side is the ticket

The game retrieval is usually dictated by which ever national Forrest you’re in. Check there for regulations.

Well, taking 4-wheelers was the right answer. Roads were in rough shape pretty much everywhere we went. Moreso than I've experienced elsewhere. Looking at how it all worked out, somewhat wishing we would have just taken the side-by-side, but 4 wheelers worked out well anyway.

Came back to post a report. We only hunted 4 days, had some stuff come up at work and had to head home early with neither tag punched, but still had a very fun trip with many memories made. I've never hunted 33 before, but I found it to be some really pretty country and enjoyed the ability to find a lot of good glassing spots to look over a lot of it at once.

Our focus going in was to try and find a deer for my buddy first. He's never chased deer/elk in Colorado, and we felt like finding a buck he'd like would be more doable than finding a bull that would trip my trigger. Arrived and settled into our location up New Castle Buford Rd on Thursday afternoon. Spent Thursday evening just driving around checking private, trying to get a feel for what the deer density was like down low and if we saw any rut activity. We saw a handful of bucks, but nothing older than 2 or 3-1/2 and biggest about a 140" 4x4. He turned his nose up, and that was the extent of the rutting we observed for the week.

Long story short, we spent most of our time south of Triangle Park, Coulter Mesa, and did an evening or two down on BLM around West Rifle and the hogbacks. Ranged from glassing from the 4-wheelers on the roads, to hoofing it a little more than 3 miles in. Routinely found ourselves in areas with notable fresh sign, saw a handful of elk, one legal 4x4 bull that we elected not to chase, and a decent number of does that were running solo. Never saw a buck on public, which was really a surprise to me. As expected, we saw a lot of orange, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary relative to other OTC units I've hunted, and our plans were never really hindered as a result. We did have one morning where we just chose the wrong spot to start the day. After watching it get light and turning nothing up, we hit our next glassing spot and met a couple of guys who had chosen correctly and had a really nice bull down they were about to go to work on. We shared some congratulations and got to hear their story before heading on to try to find another.

Would have liked to at least see my buddy put a tag on something, but we went in with reasonable expectations and came away just happy to have been able to spend a few days putting eyes on some animals in beautiful country.

Now it's time to start planning the next, and as I've grown tired of being 3-4 points from a 61 bull tag the last several years, I'm thinking it's time to turn them in on 76. Just have to decide whether to go with stick and string or something that goes boom.

Well, taking 4-wheelers was the right answer. Roads were in rough shape pretty much everywhere we went. Moreso than I've experienced elsewhere. Looking at how it all worked out, somewhat wishing we would have just taken the side-by-side, but 4 wheelers worked out well anyway.

Came back to post a report. We only hunted 4 days, had some stuff come up at work and had to head home early with neither tag punched, but still had a very fun trip with many memories made. I've never hunted 33 before, but I found it to be some really pretty country and enjoyed the ability to find a lot of good glassing spots to look over a lot of it at once.

Our focus going in was to try and find a deer for my buddy first. He's never chased deer/elk in Colorado, and we felt like finding a buck he'd like would be more doable than finding a bull that would trip my trigger. Arrived and settled into our location up New Castle Buford Rd on Thursday afternoon. Spent Thursday evening just driving around checking private, trying to get a feel for what the deer density was like down low and if we saw any rut activity. We saw a handful of bucks, but nothing older than 2 or 3-1/2 and biggest about a 140" 4x4. He turned his nose up, and that was the extent of the rutting we observed for the week.

Long story short, we spent most of our time south of Triangle Park, Coulter Mesa, and did an evening or two down on BLM around West Rifle and the hogbacks. Ranged from glassing from the 4-wheelers on the roads, to hoofing it a little more than 3 miles in. Routinely found ourselves in areas with notable fresh sign, saw a handful of elk, one legal 4x4 bull that we elected not to chase, and a decent number of does that were running solo. Never saw a buck on public, which was really a surprise to me. As expected, we saw a lot of orange, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary relative to other OTC units I've hunted, and our plans were never really hindered as a result. We did have one morning where we just chose the wrong spot to start the day. After watching it get light and turning nothing up, we hit our next glassing spot and met a couple of guys who had chosen correctly and had a really nice bull down they were about to go to work on. We shared some congratulations and got to hear their story before heading on to try to find another.

Would have liked to at least see my buddy put a tag on something, but we went in with reasonable expectations and came away just happy to have been able to spend a few days putting eyes on some animals in beautiful country.

Now it's time to start planning the next, and as I've grown tired of being 3-4 points from a 61 bull tag the last several years, I'm thinking it's time to turn them in on 76. Just have to decide whether to go with stick and string or something that goes boom.
Thanks for the follow up report !

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom