Unit 38/39

S

skittish

I put in for controlled hunts in both unit 38 and 39.

If I am not drawn, I will still probably get a tag for either of these two units. I am not able to get away for days at a time so I need to hunt around the Boise area. Anybody have any suggestions where I can find public access and deer in either of these two units?

Any other suggestions for areas/units to hunt deer or elk that are not too far from the Boise area?

Thanks!

39 is almost all public and there are deer in most parts of the unit. As for 38 the deer are mostly on private ground on the Boise and snake rivers, with a few exceptions. There is some really breaks stuff on the snake out around swan falls area that is public and judging from sign and sightings during the one day I hunted it during archery season last year seems to hold a fairly good deer population. There is also a bit of blm land along map rock rd out toward Melba, and some the snake river birds of prey area out around cj strike that hold a few deer. Don't forget that unit 38 is short range only though meaning shotgun, muzzleloader or archery gear. Also you said that you put in for special permits in 38. Make sure you read up on that because the permits are only valid for a portion of the wildlife refuge at lake Lowell and they require you to hunt from a tree stand, still short range weapons only of course. Hope this helps

Yes! I put in for the hunt at Lake Lowell. I would love to ambush one of those crop destroying bucks! I would imagine they are well fed and it's not too far from where I live. I read that a few on this site have hunted that before. I imagine that there are some healthy sized bucks running around there? Either way it would be a blast if I get drawn.

I also put in for the early season deer hunt in 39. There used to be good sized bucks running around there when I was a kid....It's been some years now.

As far as hunting muleys on the river in 38, is there any truth that the deer frequent the islands?

Well boys... here's to you and your cool website! Cheers!

Yea it is. Just no rifles or pistols. It's not preserve, conservation area, good luck finding a deer on most of that place though. Very dry and very little food

So there aren't a lot of deer in there for that unit 38 lake lowell hunt? I mean there are only 5 tags available and it is just the south shore of the lake. I figured there would be quite a bit of deer in there. There have been a few harvested out of there that's for sure... I believe three last year.

There are a lot of deer on that lake Lowell hunt it is just very restricted as to hunting methods. Required to hunt from a tree stand or elevated shooting platform(which can't be put up before opening morning of hunt). No trail cams or other electronic scouting aids. No climbing aids that will harm the tree. I put in for the extra doe tag out there before fully reading those restrictions. Probably won't pick it up if I draw

My buddy farms in that unit. He said 3-4 guys get caught poaching in that unit because it has a very high % of non typical mulies,Pure monsters. He showed me some cell phone pics before, something has to be in the water lol

I too farm in 38. There are some monster bucks out there but they hang in the corn fields and don't come out much until the rut. We usually harvest corn around early to mid nov and there are always several large bucks. Bow hunted most of September around the corn fields last year sitting trails and what not. Saw plenty of does but did not see a buck down there all season. Come harvest saw several including a real cool cactus buck. All this to say the deer in 38 are there but good luck killing a big one.

I too farm in 38. There are some monster bucks out there but they hang in the corn fields and don't come out much until the rut. We usually harvest corn around early to mid nov and there are always several large bucks. Bow hunted most of September around the corn fields last year sitting trails and what not. Saw plenty of does but did not see a buck down there all season. Come harvest saw several including a real cool cactus buck. All this to say the deer in 38 are there but good luck killing a big one.
Bro can you message me 208-960-4909. I would like to talk to you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom