Unit 40 & 42

freebird63

Can anyone give me any advice about these two units. I am not asking for your secret spots, just some info to get a guy started looking in the right direction.
Thank you
Chuck

What king of info are you looking for? Antelope, deer, etc. The facts: its a tough draw hunts. General two point season for deer. Unlimited late archery hunt for lopes.

IB

I did put in for the late rifle hunt, but I don't think I have a chance at getting a tag, but having never really checked out the area other then going to Silver City, It would be nice to know a little more about the area. Are there lots of roads down there or is it mostly hike in? Looking from Boise toward the Owyhee's it looks like there is still lots of snow up there, when can a person get around down there to have a look around, maybe take a nice long day trip or if its that far throw in the tent and camp over night. I just don't know a whole lot about the area.
Thanks
Chuck

keep your fingers crossed that u are one of the lucky 195 tags drawn out of the aprox 4000 people that put in for those tags...a friend of mine drew it last year & they hunted their asses off for 2 weeks saw lots of dinker 2x3s & 3x4s 2 biggest bucks they saw were on private property & they were only 26 to 28" bucks they saw a guy that shot a about a 28: 6x7 maybe a 180ish buck..if u are looking for a toad over that good luck...the silver city area has some decent bucks but they are few & far between..I would wait unti the results came out before I got my hopes too high !!!! oh my friend & his dad each killed a 4x4 both under 25" & neither scored higher than 170

I have never shot a nice buck, heck I would be happy with a 20 inch spread buck. The only bucks I have ever killed were small blacktail bucks on the Oregon coast. Am sure if a 30 incher stood up I would need a change of underwear and buck fever would hit me hard. I still want to go over and explore the Owyhee's. I am pretty sure I won't get a tag, am already planning on a general 39 tag.

my son drew the tag last year for his first hunt and he passed on several descent deer and we were able to find a monster out their but he could'nt hit the damn thing for the life of him. he did get a little buck fever because he missed the next two deer at less then 60 yards and he ended up with a 4x4 about 26" to 28" buck we did'nt measure it exactly yet i snuck it to the taxidermy for a surprise on his b-day in aug. i was glad he had the oppurtunity to missed a couple to gain some experience,because a month earlier he killed his killed and droped it like a pro the first shot so he had a great first hunt. but we did not see alot of great bucks average was 22"-24" i would say...goodluck!

i doubt ill draw but from what i have heard and seen id prob hold out for like the first week maybe two and then any 4x would be nice to add to may 4 consecutive years of connecting and im in it for meat a nice rack is just a bonus

A friend at work had the early archery tag for deer out there last year, got alot of pictures of some toads through the spotting scope but he never could get onto em'. he ended up with a 25" four point which is good for archery, im sure if you hunt hard enough and scout alot you will find one, there is alot of country out there, too much to cover in one season. good luck, there's quite a few antelope, I have archery hunted out there the last four years, everyone in camp usually tags out within a week, all the bucks usually average from 8-13" or so, one guy shot a 16 1/2 last year though.

A 25" four point, heck I would take it in a heart beat. Never have killed a buck even half that big. I don't need a 30" 6 pointer, but would shoot it if one was standing there. But I figure my chances of getting a tag down there is pretty slim to none.

My son and I drew 40 several years ago. We were fortunate to take two nice bucks. We arrived 4-5 days befor the season opened and didn't see a buck the first three days. The bucks when located seemed to be fairly concentrated. My suggestion is, if you draw, to spend some time during the summer learning the area and then arrive several days before the opener to locate bucks.

If you get weather it will be easier as they will move lower.

>A 25" four point, heck I
>would take it in a
>heart beat. Never have
>killed a buck even half
>that big. I don't
>need a 30" 6 pointer,
>but would shoot it if
>one was standing there.
>But I figure my chances
>of getting a tag down
>there is pretty slim to
>none.

I wouldn't count luck out...you never know, in 07' I put in for 45 the second round when there were three tags that didn't get picked up...guess who got one, yep thats me, I doubt i'll ever get that lucky again. Did harvest my biggest buck to date though which was a bonus...

If you draw PM me. Also plan on going early and scouting. The rut is early and waiting to the end of the hunt has proven to be the way not to go!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom