Unit 61 Dilemma 2

Salmon

Good Morning, I have been following the replies for this message. I am a NR with 23 points and have been waiting for a 2,201,10 tag. Still short I believe. Is their that much difference overall of the normal bulls in these units to 61? At 62 years old I need to get this done. A 320 or better bull would be great. Thanks in advance for any replies or private messages!!

What weapon are you looking to Hunt with ?
Depending on the weapon you are right there with your points.
No first hand experience but from what I have read quality is definitely better overall in the Big four.

I went and looked things over with a leftover bear tag couple years ago in regards to the big 4. Wow, but what I got ought of it from several in the know was hire the right outfitter based on the years it took to draw. I'd have to agree. I also think your pt total has got to be close as well. Best of luck with your decision. Try the bear tag trip as I learned quite a bit from just being there. Flaming Gorge and Dinasour was worth doing as well. Riggo

Based on your points you should be in the running for a muzzleloader tag in 10 or 2. I hunted unit 2 back in 2011 and helped my cousin on a first rifle in 61 the same year. From my experience the hunt in unit 2/10 blows 61 out of the water. Don't get me wrong there are some great bulls in 61 and it is a fun hunt but nothing compared to unit 2 or 10. In unit 2/10 you will be hunting with a very small number of other hunters and in a unit that has an unreal bull to cow ratio.

During my hunt in 2011 my cousin helped me and we were amazed that we were able to literally chase bugles almost all day calling in one 300 class "raghorn" after another. I would definitely recommend unit 2 with a muzzleloader and think a 320 bull would be a slam dunk with potential for much bigger(just depends on how long you are willing to hold out and pass bulls.

I also don't think you need an outfitter in unit 2 as there is plenty of public land and people willing to share information once you get out there. We talked with the game warden and blm rangers almost daily and they were really helpful pointing out where they had been seeing elk.

61 is pretty darn good.may not have the world class bulls,but for a do it
Yourself er it was worth my points last year!! That was during Archery though.

Dilemma? Dilemma? There is no dilemma. You have a shot at drawing a unit 10 or 2 muzzle-loader tag this year. With 23 points do not cash in at this stage of the game and go to 61. Don't get me wrong, I love unit 61 and have been on many successful hunts there. In the open market a landowner elk voucher in unit 2 sells for almost twice the price of a unit 61 voucher. That should tell you all you need to know. The average bull harvested in unit 61 is probably a 3yo 5 by 5. The average bull taken in unit 2 is probably a 6 by 6 close to that 320 inch goal you mentioned.
Good luck in the draw.

Am starting to think more about 2/10 after all you guys replies even if it takes another year etc. In looking at odds don't I also have a shot at #10 with a rifle? Thank you all again for the help and feel free to add anymore thoughts.

Unit 10 had 3 applicants go into the Muzzy draw last year with 22 NR points that means there is at least two that did not draw. If you apply you have a one in 3 chance that is considering no one else jumps in that is sitting on the sidelines. Unit 2 and 201 will both have two hunters ahead of you so at a minimum you are 3 years away from drawing either one of those. I was in a same predicament as you. I elected to go archery. You could draw that tag.

I have no experience in 2 or 10. When I began building PPs, I wanted a 2 muzzy tag. When they reduced the % of NR tags in Colorado, I went with 61 archery.

Great hunt. I never saw a 350 bull. But I saw 300-330 EVERY
DAY. Killing was harder than seeing but I have no regrets drawing that tag with 13 PPs, hunting another unit 2 years later, and sitting on 5 PPs now.

Had I held out, I would be at 20 PPs, still with no chance to draw 2 muzzy.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom