Unit 67 4th season here I come

pdkillr

I know this is my first post and am going to apologize ahead of time for asking for advice as a "newbie". But after 18 yrs of hoarding points and getting older every year! I decided to go ahead and commit. Well commit I did! Just got my tags for Unit 67 4th season. As a non resident, well blah blah blah you know the drill. Plan on coming up from Texas 5 days before to scout. Okay here it goes!!!! Where should I start????? And a thousand thanks ahead of time for all and any advice/help. Oh and by the way I now have 18 points for elk that am planning on using next year.

3rd season ends on Sunday, two days before your hunt starts on Wednesday. My advice is to respectfully talk with the 3rd season deer/elk hunters you see in the field (make sure you are not messing them up as they hunt and tell them you are hunting 4th) and ask them where they are seeing does. Then find as many doe groups as you can from a vantage point before the season starts and then hunt each group during your hunt hoping a big buck shows up to breed them. Might even be able to "scout" at an establishment on an evening during the end of 3rd in Gunnison. If you see a good one on private, figure out if and where he is exiting private to public and figure out how to get in there in the dark and be waiting on him the next morning. Be careful going in there when he is bedded to shoot him in the afternoon as you may bump him and not get a shot.

After years of putting hunt off banking points. I decided last year to use them this year. Talked to many outfitters and just couldn't justify spending over 5k to burn 18 yrs of my points. Anyways in my search couple different guys mentioned 4th season 67 for a fairly easy hunt, self guided. Meaning during rut and not humping up and down mountains and fair chance at true trophy. Hope I didnt screw up. Was going to ask on here but figured I would get a lot to sift through.

Fair enough. It is an easy unit from a physical standpoint. True trophy is a relative term. We hunt the unit first season,with remnants of the rut. Never been skunked. We've taken the usual Colorado public bulls. Smaller 5 and 6 points. We've seen a couple decent bulls. To your advantage,they should be concentrated somewhat in the lower country. I'm sure you will have a good time. It's a great part of the world.

With 18 points I would?ve wanted to had hunted there before or hire a guide. You waited a long time for that tag. I think if you could fast forward time, here is what you'd find. Of the big bucks you see killed in that area on the 3rd and 4th season (big buck being upper 170 class and better, mature old bucks), 10% of those guys just got lucky. 75% knew the area and showed up ready to be lethal. The other 15% went home with a tag or a 150 class deer and say the unit ?has gone downhill?.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-18 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]>Wondering if the lack of responses/advice
>means this unit is a
>honey hole?

That must be it! Wouldn't have anything to do with that after 18 years of applying, this is your first post here. I don't have any info on that area, as I have never hunted it. Can we expect any posts from you after the hunt?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Absolutely, I have 19 points for elk wanting to use next year so will be looking for advice for that hunt as well. I explained my situation in my original post, I thought. I appreciate the comments/help from the few who took the time. It was solid advice. I was just searching for info about mule deer and found this site hence is when I joined and posted. Sorry to those I have offended asking for advice. I knew it would be a long shot to get much, and not be looked at as an illegal.
And I just posted the honey hole comment to maybe get the topic going again.
And yes I am planning on keeping a journal on my hunt and posting my success or not about my trip after the hunt to maybe help anyone else out here who may be looking at this unit.

Good for you 4post. But if you make good on that promise, you will be in the 1% of guys that post as you are. So you can understand the skepticism. Hey, I am a fellow Texan and don't mind helping a guy out, but you have been building points for 18 years and have just discovered this site?? Probably the best mule deer hunting website out there. You can understand some doubt.

I really do hope you kill a true Monster Muley and have a great hunt! Would love to see the photos of your hunt.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have the 3rd season tag. I will more than likely be out there solo. If you are interested in scouting and helping me out a little PM me.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom