Unit 6A junior elk

K

knthartter

My son drew a anterless junior hunt in this unit and I'm looking for some suggestions. We will not be able to scout before the hunt, with the economy and school thats out of the question. Just looking for some help narrowing our efforts down to a good general area to look and maybe eliminate some less productive areas. If any one has some helpful suggestions please PM me. Thanks

Like a lot of people, I've spent a bit of time in 6A over the years. Both on archery hunts, as well as with my kids on junior hunts.

The high-level, is of course that 6A is a unit with LOTS of elk all over the place. Not one single portion of the unit is necessarily a lot better than all the rest, but there are pockets to be found.... ;) Whether on archery hunts, or junior hunts, we like to concentrate on the quiet areas. Rattlesnake or Pine Grove offer a great opportunity to get away from roads & people to get a bit more of a 'quality' hunt, IMO.

Other than the quiet areas, I would take a look at a topo or Forest Service map and find an area with some canyons/terrain that is as far away from roads as possible. Though there are frequently elk to be seen from the roads, the best hunting is deeper in the woods. This is only my opinion of course, and we all know what 'opinions' are like! ;)

Sincere good luck to your son though! As long as you hunt hard & smart, there is a very good chance that you'll come across a cow for him to take a shot at!

PM me your phone number if you want to chat about any other details.

S.

:)

Stanley.....thanks for the info I was looking at the quiet areas to get away from people. I will pm you my number in a few days. Thanks again.

Kevin

I would have to somewhat disagree, a few years ago I went out on the juniors hunt for a girlfriends cousin or someone and you literally had to parallel park on the edge of the quiet areas there were so many trucks. I would not worry about getting away from the roads in 6a because I don't think the elk do. I wouldn't stress to much about it, if you put any effort at all into the hunt you can find elk in 6a

I was with my son on this junior hunt last year, and the hunt was not as good as years past. We did see elk almost everyday but there is way too many junior tags and people were everywhere. We did not put in for it this year if that tells you anything!

Hunt dates and when do you plan on going. Work schedule permitting I might be able to help out.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

Fugitive,
The hunt starts Oct 7. Right now i'm planning on being there that friday morning, if my son's Mother will let him miss school,she hates hunting and me :) so that makes it tough. I'm hoping to be able to stay till tuesday the 11th, time will be short but thats about all I can get from his mother. I'm hoping to get him an elk and hopefuly in the first few days to save some time to take him deer hunting here. I have been talking to Holyroller as well and it looks like we may be able to meet up that weekend, but any help would be greatly appreciated I realy want to come through for my son and get him on an elk. I know its not about killing and to me its is about the time we send together, but hes been a a few unsuccesful hunts and it would be great to get one down.

Hey Holyroller thanks I will try to call you this weekend.

Thanks Kevin

Time and money willing I might be able to head up that way the monday and tuesday morning of his hunt. already had plans for the weekend.

square-large-sec.gif

Thanks Guys I will try to call every one this weekend. Sorry for the delay was out archery deer hunting here in cal...it sucked snakes every where...too many close calls. Thanks Again for the help

Kevin

Its looking like I have an even better chance of being up there that monday and tuesday. Found out my two nephews have that tag too. PM me your phone number and when I find out fure sure I'll give you a call. Will probably be able to take you guys out if I do make it up there.

square-large-sec.gif

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom