Unit 7,8,9, 19,191

J

JCHawk

So I was looking over the left over tag list and saw that 7,8,9,19,191 has leftover archery deer tags. I have never hunted these units. I hunted up in unit 4 last year and had good luck during the rifle season. I have been lookng at maps and it looks like there is a lot of public ground in those units. Has anybody ever hunted these units during archery season? Are there a lot of people? Any info would be appreciated?

9, 19, 191 have been ground zero for CWD and the DOW decided to cull the herd in an unsuccessful attempt to slow the spread. I haven't heard a lot of folks raving about the hunting up there...it's a half hour from my house and I always draw elsewhere.

Countering that negativity is the fact that last year I was fishing on the Poudre and watched a guy load a real wall hanger into the back of his car during the Archery season at the forest access across from Indian Meadows. Ya never know, you may get in there and do well early season.

If it means the difference between those units or others, perhaps look elsewhere. If it means the difference between staying home vs. enjoying the outdoors...that makes it easy.

For deer this area is poorer than poor.We deer hunted these units a couple years ago and only saw 5 does in a week of hunting.It will be a long time before the deer come back like they once was.

There is a fair amount of deer in these units. I never had a problem finding one to put on the table (or wall and table in one case).
Hunting the high country of units 7 and 19 is well worth it even if you dont harvest a deer.
Unit 9 is 100% private land to give you a heads up.

Jeff

I lived in Fort Collins for over 7 years and never had a problem killing a deer. My wife killed a 218 nontypical in 2005.
Yes, deer (doe) tags were extremely liberal from 2001-2004 and there is still lots of tags but not like the unlimited "2 for 1" doe tags that went on for several years.
Some of the public land close to private can be good and it doesnt hurt to knock on some doors to see if you can hunt someones land.
Sorry southmountain you might have to be a little more specific on what you want me to talk about as I hunted those units for deer and elk for a while and know some areas very well and could go on forever and generalize about the hunting in those units.

Jeff

DeadmAN MNT REVEALED VERY LITTLE IN DEER SIGN BUT SAW A FEW 8 MILES NE OF THERE. One very ill looking doe we saw for days agressivly licking on a mineral lick .

Thanks for all of the info on this guys. I am taking the wife and kids. So it is more to get outdoors and introduce my 5 year old boy to bow hunting. He is already talking about going and is way excited. If I kill something that would be great but it is more about getting my family outdoors. Thanks again for the info.

A place I will visit again is just east of Bull mountain north of the private land known as sand creek ranches I think although there was plenty of lion sign.

I to have saw a few nice buck while hunting 7 and 8 all of them have been high up in the mountain, nothen down low. Alot of people for muzzloader season and even more people for the rifle season, so I assume you will have your best bet in the archery.

I have always had success there. 191 is great. Get away from people and just hike a bit. I have taken a deer every year I have hunted it. More deer than people let on.

I have hunted 8 and 191 over the past several years with decent success. I have seen a couple big bucks but mostly small bucks or medium size 3 pointers. The population densities don't seem very high but hunting isn't terrible. I would agree with others, that if you can get yourself away from the crowds and off the roads a ways, you'll see more animals. But I have to admit, one time I killed a pretty nice buck within a half mile of 80C. Right place, right time I guess.

Southmountain, you mentioned the area north of the Sand Creek estates up by Bull Mtn. I too was interested in that area but after speaking to the DOW's District Wildlife Manager in the area he suggested I look elsewhere because of new home development and other reasons. He made it sound like hunting would be pretty poor. Have you seen anything to the contrary?

Sparky,
Last time I was there minimal home development looked at a cabin on 70 acres. Im going back there next spring maybe maybe a late season cow hunt this year if snow is not to bad. I have spoken the same Dow person I bet and think they are full of crap on hand he wanted to help and then other seemed standoffish. Saw a nice 26 ish deer standing on a huge boulder like a bighorn sheep and cant get it out of my head that and saw a group at night crossing 80c that were very impressive

The thing is they would rather you not hunt that particular area becuase they will be fielding lot's of phone calls from the idiots who think just because they built a house near public land for the privacy and views they should be able to keep people from hunting because they feel hunters are scary and they might scare off all the animals they enjoy watching.

I had a guy come out of his house one time to ask us to leave because he does not like people hunting. We parked across the road and were accessing public land. We told him he could not keep us from legally hunting on Public ground. He said that he lives here for the views and the peace and quiet and enjoys the wildlife and asked us to leave again. Again we said no we are legally going to hunt our public lands he then tried saying it was private we said prove it and he went back to his house but not before some choice words.

On the way back to the truck the Warden was waiting for us we explained what happened the warden checked are licenses and explained that this guy is just like that and he thinks he can keep people out just because he owns a home across the road.

The warden said you can deal with it, but I reccomend you just avoid the area and hunt further down the road.

What a bunch of crap to be told to hunt some where else becuase some guy feels the public lands are for his enjoyment only.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

The whole state of Colorado is getting infilltrated with tree huggers and bunny squeezers.Getting hard to get away from them in some areas.So far Public land is still open to the public,but I wander for how long.

I have hunted up in the Bull MTn sand creek area for the last 3 years, last year there were alot more cabins/homes than the previous 2 years, I think a real estate company is really pushing that area hard for development. I would steer clear of there and go over to Deadman mnt or over in the rawah area seem to be alot of animals in that area!

I have heard good things about deadman,a buddy of mine took an archery cow there last year.He said there was alot of sign in the area he hunted ,but only saw the one cow,but thats elk hunting.

Hey guys,

I hunted up there last year last season dear. I was mostly in 19.
It was mostly a hiking/ mountain climbing trip for me. after 4 days of hunting I seen 1 doe over 300 yards away. I seen more people then i wanted to. This is only my second year doing this so I didn't have high expectations last year, however it was still dissapointing. Been out scouting this year and have seen nothing. any help for a new hunter would be appreciated.

I have sent some of you guys PMs looking for some schooling!!

Aaron

Archery tags are fairly easy to come by in CO, if your having a hard time finding deer switch I would switch to a better unit. But if this unit is close I am sure with some time you could figure it out.

I have hunted the Lone Pine unit in 191 for deer several time with mixed success.the first time I hunted the unit ,I saw 37 bucks in 4 days of hunting and ended up taking a nice 24 inch $X$. Every year since the deer have got fewer and quallity has gone down.Up till Last year I always filled my tag,but last year I never even saw a buck and only saw a handfull of does.
I may hunt the area again sometime ,but it will not be in the near future.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom