units hunted

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
it sounds like a lot of you guys hunt in arizona. if so what are some of your guys' favorite units? personally i like 36b and thats where i have always hunted. what are your guys'thought?

I hunted 23 last year and probably will never hunt it again. I hunted 36c this year and know that I will put in for a southern unit next year, just dont know which one. Probably 33...... Allen......

Bura,
23 is a good unit, deer densities can be rough though. Gotta look in the right spots and pray for snow!
As far as my preference though, I am partial to 27 late tags and then any hunt in the Catalinas. All the 36 units are good and I have seen some nice ones and killed a big buck there I dont like the competition...
Bret Mattausch

Have hunted in 36B and 22 for archery, and 32 for rifle. Did some backbacking in 32 to get away from the crowds.

Bura Nut,
What is it that has you swayed against unit 23? I put in for it second choice last year as a friend took a nice 127" out of it three years ago and another missed a 110 last year. Their pictures make it look hard to hunt due to lotsa PJ.

Firstcoues..,
I've hunted 29, 6a, 36b and 36c, but like 36c best even though I've taken nice bucks in each unit. 6a was a tough hunt but had better draw odds.

Later...Red Rabbit

Sorry for being somewhat harsh on 23. I know they have some big bucks there, but being my first coues hunt, it was really tough finding the deer. The densities are really low and I had never really been in the unit until I started scouting, so I was kinda soured on it after seeing so many deer in 33 during the javelina hunt. Even though I didnt shoot one this year, I was really impressed with the quantity of deer I saw down south compared to 23. I should quit bitching, at least I got to hunt.......Allen......

I have a friend who hunts 23 and he told me there are some spots that you can see 60-80 whitetail a day. I didnt believe it till I went with him last year during the archery hunt and he showed me 83, yes 83 coues deer in a day, including 4 bucks over 100". And yes there are some hawgs. I hunted 31 the last two years in November and the hunts have both lasted less than a day. Killed 3x's both times. Some may not believe this but Last year I saw 24 bucks and this year I saw 15, of course that is with my bro and I glassing. Both years I had chances at bucks over 95". Last year I almost had one that was 105" plus some. I'm hooked on coues hunting and cant believe how many more deer are in the desert than up high. My bro has a dec 32 tag and it is 115+ or bust!!! Things are looking good. The hardest part in Arizona is getting the dang tag.

I have hunted 29, 30A, 32, 33, 34A, and 35B. I have a cabin in 29 (in west Turkey Creek) so 29 and 30A are real easy access. I've seen good bucks in 29, 32, and my brother missed a 120" 4x4 last year with his bow at 20 yards (shot over his back never figured he could get that close to a coues buck like that) in 33. I haven't spent a lot of time in 34A, it seems like there is a lot of people down there. I hunted 35B with my bow this year and only saw 2 does in 3 days of hunting. I was new to the area and didn't really know where to go, but it seemed really tough since it was somewhat flat and kinda thick. Really hard to glass. I'm really partial to 32 since this is the first year that I didn't shot a deer down there. However, I'm really interested in hunting the units around Payson with my bow during the August/September hunt. Just don't know where to go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom