Utah's new late season muzz hunts

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
What's everyone's opinion on how good these late season hunts will be? I got to say, I am really tempted to put in for one or two of them. The bad part is how many points is it going to take this first year? I would like to see what everyone thinks it will be.

On the right year they could be great. I'm sure they will take a good amount of points, just look at the Crawford man hunt. That hunt was awful fun when it was the general deer muzzy hunt. They will probably be as hard to draw as say the book cliffs, Vernon and San Juan limited hunts. All said I'm very interested also.

It's not late enough in November imho. I wouldn't waste le deer points for a not so late muzzy tag on a general unit. The rifle deer only ends two days before this hunt starts. I really hope they don't give more tags for these hunts. I hope they're planning on taking the tags out of the rifle and or archery hunts permits. But I'm sure it will just be more tags issued so utah Dwr can make more money. They clearly do not care about utahs deer heard. They're going to be screwed once they milk that cow dry. Anyways good luck to the hunters who put in for it. I would much rather hunt the other le units with my points then a late muzzy hunt. That really isn't late. But that's just my two sense.

I might have heard wrong , But I thought they said with an ENDING date no later than Nov. 10th. I also might be remembering wrong but didn't we used to hunt the muzzle load until nov. 5th anyway. This year the rifle hunt ended Oct. 26th (a Sunday) the next Saturday was Nov. 1st. With only 5 days in between. So the new hunt would end on the following Wed.? As for a 'RUT' hunt, I have read the DWR info that say's the first actual Mule Deer rutting usually begins around the 18th of Nov. (wish I could remember where I read that, I remember the Date because its my youngests Birthday. I believe the real intention of this hunt is to relieve a small bit of pressure on the point debackel. the state has, move more people through the system. And I am willing to bet the tag cost will increase. All without impacting existing resources very much. In other words. A way to charge more money without doing anything to Improve the resorce.

Stone,I think your thinking of the cwmu end date which is the 10th on some units. I believe this hunt will go 10/28-11/05. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I am willing to bet that quite a few people are willing to burn some points on these hunts.

^^^^ELKOHOLIC has the corect dates^^^^^^^^^^

And I'd bet the farm,
5 . 6, maybe 7 points to get bonus permits.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

If they wanted to get people's attention and make things interesting they should have included the archery only area of the front!

I personally don't think these hunts will be all that, too early. That being said most limited entry hunts other than the few premo ones are not all that either. This is why all deer units should be in one point pool just like colorado. Easy.

>If they wanted to get people's
>attention and make things interesting
>they should have included the
>archery only area of the
>front!

UBA will never let that happen.

There's always next year

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-14 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]>I personally don't think these hunts
>will be all that, too
>early. That being said most
>limited entry hunts other than
>the few premo ones are
>not all that either. This
>is why all deer units
>should be in one point
>pool just like colorado. Easy.
>

fullthrottle,
How familiar are you with the migration routes on units 20, 29 and 30?
I think the people who are, will do very nicely hunting in early Nov. on those units.
There's always next year

You must work for the Division, I apologize. I Didn't realize UBA had such a influence on the management plan. I mean 20% of the tags going to archers is getting up there. Why didn't we make some of these hunts archery hunts?? I'm sure UBA would have liked to see that. I mean there influence and all.

Why don't we let the muzzleloaders hunt 30 days like the archers then everything will be fair rather than the 10 day like they have now.

I've got enough points that I need to make it count. I hope I make the right decision. Thats the bad part. In Utah a long wait don't necessary mean more quality. I do think that these new hunts will be a benifit for all regardless if you put in for them or not....

Let's do it. Let's go 33% muzz, 33% archery, and 34% rifle. And then we can make all seasons 15 days. 2 weekends! This should allow us to increase the tag numbers and keep the outstanding buck quality. And then let's let the archery and muzzleloaders split September for the elk hunt. Great, that makes sense. Being fair to all is so cool.

It is hard to throw away 7-10 points for a limited hunt that offers slightly more trophy potential then a general hunt. I've had a bad attitude through this whole process, I along with many others are just sick of hearing the same crap year after year. And seeing very little change. Gets frustrating. Then you see and hunt surrounding states that are going through the same habitat and climate issue's as Utah and there mature buck population is so much better. It just seems that our big buck potential (not herd size) could be so much better with a few small changes. Sorry for the ##### fest. "There's always next year"!

Fullthrottle, That's my point! 7-10 points doesn't really buy you anything. Your close to the Book Cliffs, but is that any better??? I think that unit is basically like a general season tag with a few less people.

Ya, I know that is what you are saying. I agree. The limited entry hunts are not that much better than the general hunts, especially for the points. So maybe it would make sense to put all units general and limited in one pool???

I'm planning on putting in for it, only because I have 0 points though. Wouldn't waste more than 3-4 points on it though, IMO.

2a0fcsk.gif

How many tags are they going to give out in 2015 for each unit?

I only have 2 points as a non-resident for LE deer, but I am willing to pay more money for an LE deer tag if it allows me to hunt my old stomping grounds with less competition from other hunters. I do not like hunting the general rifle hunt in Utah. I assume a non-resident will need more than 2 points to draw, but my name will be in this draw in 2015.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

They are only putting very few tags on each unit so it will be hard to dray them. and Fullthrottle UBA has had some very good influence with the division the last few years. Ben Lowder has done a fantastic job of building back the relationship with them. for the limited tags they will offer it won't put a hurt on any of the populations they are targeting.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

>Let's do it. Let's go 33%
>muzz, 33% archery, and 34%
>rifle. And then we can
>make all seasons 15 days.
>2 weekends! This should
>allow us to increase the
>tag numbers and keep the
>outstanding buck quality. And then
>let's let the archery and
>muzzleloaders split September for the
>elk hunt. Great, that makes
>sense. Being fair to all
>is so cool.

So what your saying is that you would rather see all archery and muzzy hunters hunt every year but the rifle guys can sit out an additional 2 or 3 years on average.
You won't see but only a few rifle hunter switch over to archery because of a chance to hunt every year.
That would go over real well with the rifle guys.

There's always next year

I am sure Lowder has done a fine job, nothing against him or UBA. I also appreciate the work that goes into supporting our bowhunting sportsman and giving a positive contribution to outdoorsman alike. I also realize they have a influence. Thank you UBA and it's members. But if you think their input is making or breaking the other weapons to be aloud to hunt on the front your kidding yourself, so don't make the response that UBA would never let that happen, your talking out of your azz. Also I suggested but am not for them allowing very limited rifle and/or muzzleloader hunts in the archery only area of the front. Just throwing out an idea to ease pressure on more sought after area's, and use some of the states resources without a negative effect on the deer on the front. Simply ideas that would make a difference. This late muzzleloader hunt they are going to do will help IF they keep tag numbers reasonable... Ridgetops I'm just trying to think of ideas to allow more opportunity without effecting quality and using a more primitive weapon is a way to make more tags available so guys can hunt every year. Like I said before I enjoy hunting with each weapon as much as the next, but if you could hunt each year with a lesser weapon and keep quality up why not. What is fair about a 20/20/60 split?? wouldn't a 30/30/40 split be more reasonable? I realize there are many more rifle hunters than archery, I still enjoy a good rifle hunt now and again, but I also realize things have and need to change. I know there are endless issues and people to please. And I apologize if some of the things I have stated come off blunt and ignorant. Hunting opportunity's are always changing no matter what the weapon. I just want to see our mule deer herds thrive and flourish with a solid population of big nasty MATURE bucks, and don't care what opportunity I have to sacrifice to give them a boost. It's discouraging to visit our neighboring states and see the difference in herd quality when Utah has the habitat and genetics to be right there with them. Once again I'm not trying to ruffle feathers just discouraging.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom