Velvet shed

498a77300ebae126.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-09 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]Wow, rare indeed. It's fresh right?
I was always under the impression that bucks in velvet their whole lives would keep their antlers intact but just continue to grow. There is usually something genetically wrong with them too, right? Like small testes, or no testes.
I've certainly never found or heard of a velvet shed, pretty cool find though!

I've heard of it before. I heard the bases on velvet horns can be quite nasty (spongy, soft and bloody). Was this one nasty?

Thanks for sharing

Rare find for sure. Here is a one a buddy of mine has and yes when it was first found it was still spongy. He put it in the freezer for a couple of years and it is good now. Awesome find though.

498b58e61a39a59e.jpg

i haven't found any velvet sheds yet but i have seen 3 bucks since november in full velvet still. one in arizona was a 4x6 and 2 in utah. on was a real tall 2 point, only got a pic of one and its a bad pic, i took it off my video camera with a cell phone but you get the jist of it. my buddy saw one last week that he got some video of last year, he said it put on a bunch of trash and tons of mass on one side but the other side is still just a 26" tall 2 point. weird stuff
498b91ac159ce139.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom