Vernon mule deer scouting

Ridge,
I did before I posted. I was actually giving you a chance to check the numbers and correct your statement.

West Desert Vernon

Bucks Doe Ratio
2016-36
2017-44
2018-29

Tags
2016- 181
2017-181
2018-194
2019-220

So.....in the past 3 years the tags have increase by 39.
In fact in 2017 the unit is at 44 with 181 tags. The bucks doe drops to 29 and the DWR increases the tags by 13 tags. Less bucks and yet more tags issued. And turn around after a severe drought year and increase the tags by another 26. All makes perfect sense ....right?

You bet it makes sense when there are hunters out there giving false information to support the DWRs bad management. It's the culture and approach the Utah DWR manages and it's supported by hunters worried more about opportunity than true proper management.

Have you never watched or been to a board meeting? They get up and cry every year about how there's too many wild animals on the landscape competing for feed with their livestock, and ask for more hunts or tags. I never said they set the tag numbers, but they do their very best to dictate how many animals are killed every year. The Parker herd is a prime example

Deer,
I've been to literally 100s. And I understand the situation in Wayne County way better than most. And yes there are some individuals in that area that are brutal on their stance with wildlife. But...again it's not the ranchers setting the numbers. And when challanged about it specifically on those two units Anis quickly referenced the model . That was not in a meeting or a prepared statement. It's was actually a conversation face to face.

Also answer me this. Why would the ranger get a bigger say than the sportsmen on those units?

I'm pretty sure some of the people on the WB are ranchers, or their families are. correct me if I'm wrong. if that's the case, they are much more likely to understand where the ranchers are coming from and more willing to listen to their concerns and offer solutions, than say some one who is not involved with livestock personally.

73, I'm pretty sure your aware the buck/doe ratio is figured on a three year average. Which puts the last three years average at 36/100. Which is over the high end of the 25-35 management plan. Triggering a tag increase. Plus a wet year like this, we should have a good fawn survival. I think things will be ok.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom