Wall tent food tips

Pre64

Very Active Member
Tis the season. Here's my easy wall tent living tip;

Pre-bake your potatoes. Slice for breakfast, easy meal with liver or heart, goes well in tortillas.

Here's another.

3 cups Bisquick
1-1/2 lbs hot Jimmy Dean sausage
1 lb sharp cheese grated
3/4 cup water
Brown sausage in skillet-drain and pat dry with paper towel
Mix 1st 3 ingredients together-add water
Mix well and shape into 1"balls. Place close together on baking sheet.
Bake in oven at 350 ubtil browned.
makes about 12 dozen.

On those early mornings in camp just wrap a dozen or so in some tin foil, toss em on the wood stove to warm em up, easy quick and mighty tasty.

Good idea on this thread and I am liking the idea of some of these pre made items that I can just heat up on the stove.

Lets keep the ideas and recipes going.

My stove has that water tank on the side that I rarely use. I read some where about cracking eggs in a ziplock bag and then dropping the bag in that boiling water. Has anybody tried that deal yet?

A bucket of KFC chicken! Eats up good and you can use the container to help light the stove. :)

Great topic, i just never had a need to use, cook, or eat in a wall tent...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-13 AT 07:07AM (MST)[p]Breakfast burritos. Sausage, eggs, cheese, hash browns, a little salsa,rolled in to soft shell, and wrapped aluminum foil. Lay on the stove to warm and eat on the go if needed be. Last all week in a cooler. Or throw one in you pack for later on. The salsa and eggs adds great atmosphere to the camp later on. :)

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Back when I hunted Idaho a lot we had a wall tent.

The first thing we did was lay down a piece of carpet for a floor. It seemed to make it a lot warmer and cozier.

Next was a huge pot of beans. It would generally freeze at night and we could always heat up the beans if we hunted late and no one felt like cooking supper. It would last for almost the entire week.

Eel

>Back when I hunted Idaho a
>lot we had a wall
>tent.
>
>The first thing we did was
>lay down a piece of
>carpet for a floor. It
>seemed to make it a
>lot warmer and cozier.
>
>Next was a huge pot of
>beans. It would generally freeze
>at night and we could
>always heat up the beans
>if we hunted late and
>no one felt like cooking
>supper. It would last for
>almost the entire week.
>
>Eel

If I made a whole pot of beans I wouldn't need a stove. Great ideas guys. Anybody have an easy and good heart/liver recipe?

Dump 8 hot dogs into a frying pan until browned , open two cans of Nalleys Chilli and pour over the dogs until hot. Load up two or three buns and and cover it all with a generous amount of mustard and onions. Eat with a fork.

Not chitting you, it's fantastic, easy, and a camp favorite.

Another quick, filling, and easy meal is traveling tacos. Load a plate with Fritos, cover with Nalleys Chilli and nacho cheese and dig in.

Other standbys are steaks, fried spuds, saut?ed mushrooms and onions; tacos; sloppy joes; hamburger helper; grilled ham and cheese, etc.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-13 AT 11:03AM (MST)[p]We always have each guy prepare a meal, freeze it in an ice cream bucket, and then just heat it up in a big cast iron pot. The exception to this is the nights we're fortunate enough to have a meal of fresh heart and tenderloin.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

We pre-make items as much as possible - particularly for dinner. Last week, I made a big batch of home made chili and put it in quart size bags then froze. My mom made a big batch of stew and froze in a Rubbermaid dish. It was My dad, inlaws, my wife and stepdaughter. We never ate the stew, but it was still frozen solid after 3 days in a coleman extreme cooler. We just had to heat up water and dropped the bags of chili in it until they thawed enough, then dumped them into a pot until it was hot. Boiled some hot dogs in the pot of water.

Anything that can be frozen at home is a good idea, because it also acts as ice in the cooler until you eat it.

+1 on the cook at home and freeze. I just did a 5 day scouting trip. We had elk steaks fried in butter with white and wild rice with pine nuts, Shitaki mushrooms and fresh basil (prepared at home, vacuum sealed in a bag and heated in the water pot) with broccoli, deer spaghetti (prepared at home), antelope chili (prepared at home) with corn bread from the dutch oven, chopped deer roast with gravy over noodles (prepared at home) and peach pie from the dutch oven for desert. I made big batches at home then used the Foodsaver to bag up portions for the scouting trip and the upcoming hunts and threw them in the freezer. We have fresh meats the first couple of nights and eat the frozen meals in the order they start to thaw. I usually bring enough frozen meals to get us through the first 9 days, then go to town to do laundry and re-supply. Frozen main dishes are quick and easy and reduce the clean up time.

Weeks in advance, I make all my favorites at home, and seal them up in boiling bags, 1 large serving per pouch.

Jambalya
Stew
BBQ ribs
Tri tip
Steak & taters
Sausage and peppers

Keep a pot of water on the stove.
Get back to camp, late and tired, just start the stove and throw a bag in the water. By the time you put your weapon away and get you boots off, dinner is ready.

I like all of the pre-made ideas. I do some myself. There's nothing like " meat buck stew" to get you going and hunting harder for that buck the next day!
Try the freeze dried hash browns in the little milk cartons. ( Costco, cal- ranch where I've bought them) all you need is hot hot water and 15 min. To let them moisten up. They taste Great and make a lot more than you would think.
And here's a roast recipe to help past the time cooking on those white out days when you can't see the end of your gun.

Chipotle Pepsi Roast

Pork loin roast
One small can of chipotle peppers on adobo sauce.
One onion cut in half
One can of Pepsi
1/2 cup of brown sugar
Water

Put onion down in Dutch oven
Rub brown auger all over roast and put on top of onion halves
Add the peppers on top and sides of roast ( they are hot so add 1/2 can for the fist time using this recipe)
Pour Pepsi on top
Add enough water so that it comes half way up the side of your roast
Cook for as long as you want . Three hours is enough to cook it fast but I like to let it go low and slow, about 5 hours.
Left overs can easily be reheated on the stove.

Foundation - We used to do the eggs in the bag (Bag Omelettes)all the time. Just crack 2 eggs in a zip lock bag along with whatever other stuff you like in an omelette (pre-chopped onions, peppers, cheese, ham, etc), Squish it all up together in the bag and zip the bag up. Dump in the boiling water for about 20 minutes depending on how big you build it. Once done, wrap it in a tortilla with salsa and enjoy. Good Stuff. You can write names on the bags with a sharpie if you are doing several at once.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-13 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]I already posted this a year or so ago but here it is again. Seems like Saga might have tried this one too!

Brown a couple of pounds of pork sausage in a 14 inch dutch oven (12 inch works, just reduce the amount of the goods that go in it) When the pork is browned, remove from DOven and put in a side bowl. Leave the drippings in the DO. Buy or dice potatoes, (eight or ten mid-sized taters) a green/red pepper, and a large sweet onion into half inch squares, Heat in the DO until taters are tender. Put browned sausage back in and stir until taters, onions, peppers are well mixed. Crack a dozen eggs (more or less) into a bowl, add seasoning salts of choice and beat until there blended. Pour the eggs into the DO, covering the taters and the pork, don't mix it, the eggs will flow down through the goodies and fill in the voids. Put the lid on the DO and let the eggs cook, watch closely and just before eggs in the top of the DO set up completely, sprinkle a health layer of grated cheese over everything, put the lid back on and let the cheese melt.

When the cheese has melted, serve on a paper plate, add salsa or ketchup or ice cream or what ever you normal put on you eggs and go to it. If there's any left over, wrap in tin foil and keep cool so you can quickly reheat the next morning for a quick, hearty breakfast (rather than a granola bar) before you head out for the day.

It could be pre-cooked and frozen like others have done, then reheated in camp although I've never done it like that...... prefer the fresh made stuff, time permitting.

DC

>Tis the season. Here's my
>easy wall tent living tip;
>
>
>Pre-bake your potatoes. Slice for
>breakfast, easy meal with liver
>or heart, goes well in
>tortillas.
>
>

We boil a huge pot of potatoes as soon as we set up camp. Drain the water out and just leave them until we cook. Then you just have to warm them up.

we pre-make nearly all of our food. Chili, stew, soup etc... for breakfast we make gravy for on toast, sausage, hashbrowns, eggs for burritos.... We freeze it all leading up to season and keep it in coolers till the night before of morning of then take it out so it has about 12 hours to thaw.
Then we just boil it in water while it is still in the bag (MUST BE those vacuum seal bags, regular zip-loc bags melt!!!)
That way you never have to clean dishes, spend time preparing food etc... As you are getting ready for the day or cleaning up after a long day it is just sitting there heating up till you are ready.

Saves time, effort and lot less messy!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Carpet on the ground works great. We cook different things every night other than dutch oven potatoes that is an every night thing. We will have mutton, ribs, elk and deer meat. Its a great time to have a card game or just bullschit while dinner is cooking. We have a good time.

>we pre-make nearly all of our
>food. Chili, stew, soup etc...
>for breakfast we make gravy
>for on toast, sausage, hashbrowns,
>eggs for burritos.... We freeze
>it all leading up to
>season and keep it in
>coolers till the night before
>of morning of then take
>it out so it has
>about 12 hours to thaw.
>
>Then we just boil it in
>water while it is still
>in the bag (MUST BE
>those vacuum seal bags, regular
>zip-loc bags melt!!!)
>That way you never have to
>clean dishes, spend time preparing
>food etc... As you are
>getting ready for the day
>or cleaning up after a
>long day it is just
>sitting there heating up till
>you are ready.
>
>Saves time, effort and lot less
>messy!
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>
>
>
>Let me guess, you drive a
>1 ton with oak trees
>for smoke stacks, 12" lift
>kit and 40" tires to
>pull a single place lawn
>mower trailer?

+1 On the seal a meal bags pre make anything you want put them in boiling water no mess. Then you have more time sitting around the fire talking about your day and siping a few. instead of cooking. Then Throw paper plates and plastic forks and spoons in the fire.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom