Warning..

buck44

Brought the trailer up camping this last week on Monday and left it there locked and dead bolted. Went back up a few days later only to find out that someone had shattered the back window of the trailer, took the generator, BB Guns, and some random utensils. Then to top it off... took a big crap in the toilet. Called the police and there had been a camp down the road that got broken into and their spotting scope and binoculars had been taken. It just drives me crazy to know that there are people like that out there. Warning to all of you to be careful this season and hope your luck is better than mine!

Sorry to hear your experience 44. Do you care to tell us the general area you were in so we know where to set and wait for the thief! I have a 44 for any guy that is willing to trash my rig!

I agree I think you should give a general area so guys have a heads up . Bummer deal on your break in and damages . Its amazing the guts some of these crooks have doing that out in the hills . Most people I know wouldn't be calling 911 if they caught them in the act , they would be dealt with on the spot . I know some people that leave there trailers all summer , and they have never had a problem , but I allways just felt in my gut they where asking for problems sooner or later .

Its kind of late now , but just a heads up to you guys that you should record all your serial numbers of big ticket items like generators , etc. If they ever are stolen there is a better chance you may recover some property if its pawned .

The things I would do if I caught them in the act.. But it was skyline drive area, kinda by gooseberry resevoir.

I would go to the nearest town and look for someone tweaking on meth etc. and see if he has any merchandise for sale. Theft feeds drug habits, lots of LE guys on here would tell you the same thing. Will your renters insurance/home owners policy cover anything. A friend of mine had his truck broken into and had his bow, treestand, archery tackle box, and several other items stolen out of his campershell on his pickup truck, insurance covered it.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-11 AT 00:17AM (MST)[p]It never fails that you have some azzhole cruising the back country looking for easy pickings. It's a damn shame that not even in the wilds is anyone safe from these thieving plicks.

Eldorado

Buck44;

The fact some random untensiles was taken along with the generator, tells me you may have been visited by a marijuana grower who is setting up camp in the nearby area and will use your items in his camp while watching over his grow patch.

This is common in some of our areas in the hills and where they took cooking untensiles, we discovered it was most likely growers and the items were put to use in their camps.

RELH

this sort of thing happens every year and has happens to myself and people I know.

Same story left camper to go hunting and some pos comes in and breaks a window and gets in and rips off everything that isn't bolted down. They can sell just about anything on ksl, ebay, or at a pawn shop for instant cash. I think your lucky they didn't burn it down like some thieves are doing now days.

Ive had 50,000 worth of crap stolen out of my work trailer with the same mo.

The only thing that can be done is to not walk away from any of your stuff or you can almost expect it to walk away.

I would love to catch one of these POS in the act is all I can say.

What drives me crazy are A-holes that leave their campers unattended on public land so no one else will camp there. Maybe you should of stayed with your camper or taken with you when you left.

I don't condone steeling or vandalism, however, I also don't condone people leaving their unattended trailer camped on the mountain for days or quite often weeks at a time. This is a rapidly growing trend in Utah that I really disdain. The Manti, Wasatch, and Beaver units are just a few that I'm familiar with that have this problem.

In a weird sick way, I wish more people would have trailers broken into, maybe people would stop leaving there stuff parked on the mountain.

I'm not sure why people feel their entitled to claim a spot for days and weeks at a time. It's becoming very difficult to find open camping spots anymore.

If you go to any popular camping area and roll in on the Friday evening before Labor Day the chances of finding a spot to camp are next to nil. The bad thing is most of those spots will have unattended camps.

Lets take it easy in the non law breakers. Leaving a camper is perfectly legal if only left out a certain amount of time. It gives no punk the right to break in

It might not be illegal, but it sure is a DB move to leave your unattended camper on public land. You get no sympathy from me. Take that POS home with you next time.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

Shotgun you don't know if the guy was camping with his family and went out for the evening and came back to a mess. This is what I've typically seen with these punks.

locked and deadbolt, and came back a few days later,

doesn't sound like he was camped there at the time of the theft,

it's a sh!tty deal for sure,but i agree with other post's drag the trailer home with you.

Well the good news is it appears you have some DNA. Have fun with that.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

So what your saying is its your god given right to break in and rip him off because he's not there. What a tool way of thinking

Im sorry but nothing pisses me off more then a thief. Im sure with all the posters on this forum there is at least one or two or way more guys that steel. Don't know who they are and not pointing fingers but maybe this is the same way they rationalize there thinking its ok to steal someones crap.

>So what your saying is its
>your god given right to
>break in and rip him
>off because he's not there.
>What a tool way of
>thinking
>
>

It's nobody's god giving right to theif sh!t,but there's alway's the low life scum that will take advantage of any situation for there gain,avoid the problem and take your stuff home.

Looks like there's a bunch of JOKERS with "Camp Spot Envy"?

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Someone left their trailer in the woods all week Waaaaaa....Waaaaa...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I'm sure all of you do gooders have never left a truck parked on the side of the road or a camp left unatended. That's really cool that you are in your camp or your truck at all times. These jackasses need their butts beat!!!!! Like SWB said, it's not illegal to leave your camper in a spot for a few days but it is illegal to take something and vandalize something that's not yours. I don't know who I'm having a harder time with, the thieves or the self rightous attitudes.

It's always an adventure!!!

Do-gooders and self righteous? Just because we don't care that the Squatter got his $h it stolen were do-gooders and self righteous, Whatever Bull. And your comparison about parking on the side of the road and leaving a trailer parked on public land to save your spot so no one else will camp there is asinine at best.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

Leaving possessions unattended on public property creates an attractive ecosystem. Everyone who hangs a trail camera, parks a trailer and leaves a blind on a waterhole contributes to the attractiveness of the situation to a crook.

You hunt where the elk are and using the same logic the crooks head to where unattended items are left.

Trucks left at trailheads get broken into, too, but generally these are parked during hunting season though the owners may be around the corner so crooks prefer the obviously unattended items covered in dust or parked where can see in all directions as case the property.

Just like ATVs are sometimes being used illegally by hunters there are some owners of trailers that leave them parked beyond the legal limit. Happens every year. Slobs are slobs. Is a shame so many hunters shrug their shoulders at these criminal activities. I guess we only care if is a poacher or burglar.

Is it really assinine? Do you really think these jackasses care whether it's a trailer or a truck full of optics and guns? Yes, you are taking a chance leaving your belongings on public land but to condone such actions is "assinine".

It's always an adventure!!!

I don't see a problem leaving your camper there for a week or so, as far as I know it's legal to leave your camper on forest grounds for 16 days. The problem is the trash that would rather steal from a guy who worked hard and earned his stuff. Just cause your lazy and don't feel like workin don't take from the guys who actually contributes to our society, a theft is one of the lowest scum bags there is.

AWHOLELOTTABULL, You are spot on...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Here's one for Ya!

A few years ago I find this Camp Trailer Tucked back in the Trees in the Late Fall!

It was early the next Spring,I was turkey Hunting!

The Trailer had Wintered through the Winter!

Thinking something mighta been up,I had a Guy run the Expired Plates!

No other than the USFS Camp Trailer!

Guess they don't have to License them Huh?

Woulda never thought anything about it but at first thought but I thought we mighta had somebody growin some Goodies!

There is NOTHING wrong with leaving your trailer. Where I hunt you can oly leave it there unatended or not for 16 days.

"Its your fault that your car was broken into because you have a driveway but parked it on the street. I have no sympathy for you you dumb *ss!!!"

Who ever thinks like the above should have their sh*t taken.

thanks for blaming the victim.

+1 for those who take compassion on this guys sucky story.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Getting chit stolen really sucks!
Sorry for your loss.

I learned my lesson years ago when I started to 'save my spot' a week or so in advance by leaving my trlr parked un-attended---so no one else could come in and take my spot type deal...

Got a bunch of chit stolen even my hand signed-in person Kirk Darner hard cover book......man I was pissed.

I talk to the FS cop and he stated it was not private ground that I owned and that by leaving my trlr parked unattended so that I could screw someone out of a campsite was my karma to deal with.

I have never pulled that hog a spot type deal since.

Live and learn I guess for me it was like that.

Robb

Alot of people have Their favorite camping spots!

So big deal?

If somebody is already in it move on!

Got the whole damn Mountain & now We've got JOKERS Pissed because Somebody is already in 'Their' Spot!

Sorry to hear it PleaseDear!

I know you've never done anything to anybody to make em mad!

I remember when you didn't use to have to worry about this kinda BS!

Where we hunt there has been people parking there Elk hunting rigs in there two days before the opener of the muzzleloader, Never has the thought of breaking in there chit ever crossed my mind. Im in awe that people think if you park your chit up there and leave it well its your fault. Unreal

I don't think people are saying "it's your fault" that someone broke in and took stuff. But look at it from a thiefs point of view.

"I have driven past that rig 3 times today, and last night no one was there. Obviously no one around to risk catching me, guess I will take an easy freeby."

I just think it is not responsible to pack your stuff up there and leave it for a week un attended. Leave the trailer, or not, I don't care. But you might want to take the real vuluable stuff home with you, that is just comon sense.

I consider hunters as a group a good bunch of people. You can see though from a few of the responses in this post that there is a few that can justify in there own mind that stealing is fine if they feel you have done something to wrong them. Same guys that justify taking trail cams. Pretty sad!
Elkoholic.gif

Like I said I don't condone steeling or vandalism, however, I don't agree with people leaving there rig parked in a camp spot unattended for days or even weeks.
In the cases I've seen it's not so simple as just finding another spot. Why well because all the spots have empty trailers parked in them. In the past 2 years that I've gone out for Labor Day weekend we ended up finding the only remaining camp spot for miles around. 90 percent of the camp places had empty trailers parked in them. It's not just limited to Labor Day. This weekend is the opening of the bowhunt, I'd bet $100 that every spot up the mountain will have a camp set-up, whether it's a trailer or tent. I say this because that's exactly how it was last year. Almost all the camps were unattended.
It understand that as it presently stands it's not against the law but I'm hopping with enough lobbying that it will change.
So go ahead and leave your rigs parked in public ground, just remember your taking a big risk!

+1 wapiti

Thieves should go to jail. I have no tolerance for stealing.

But, DON'T SAVE SPOTS!

There are only so many open, flat spots available. First Come- First Served. But leaving your trailer days/weeks in advance is BS. I've never done it. Never will.

Over July 24th weekend up Logan Canyon, a truck-camper was left on three tires so long, with nobody there, that somebody came and set up there camp right next to the camper. The people in the camper never showed up.

I've seen people set up a tent with yellow Caution tape around it a whole week before July 4th to save a spot. That is crap. I say to tear down the tape, but the tent nicely in the trees and take the spot if you want it.

Grizzly

Two separate problems. Stealing and vandalism aren't okay, regardless of the justification. If you endorse it, you put yourself on the level of the perpetrators. There's plenty of times I've come across ATVs where they had no business being. I've been tempted to pull a plug wire or cut a tire valve, but why sell my ethics out because someone else has none?

The other problem is one that the public might consider taking up with the forest service. Perhaps there are a lot more people wanting to camp than when the 16 day rule was instated.

I think part of the problem now days is the size of the trailers... A 20' trailer is not a big trailer anymore, people are now buying 30'and longer trailers and get upset cause they can't find a nice camp that will have enough room for it..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-11 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]Game and fish came by my camp a few years back and he asked me if I had seen any empty camps. I had, and told him where they were. He said a local outfitter had been buying cheap tents and folding chairs at Walmart and setting them up to lock in hunting areas.

Last year there was a good size camp,trailers and tents, back in behind a locked gate on public land. There was a Forest service lock on the gate and no other way in. Our tax dollars at work??...... Terry

On the lighter side, down on the Pauns, just before the archery hunt I took my trailer down there a couple of days early. We went back, late Friday night, with opening day being the next morning. To our surprise there was a herd of cows around this beautiful green grassy area where I had previously parked the trailer. All of the grass was gone and my carpeting was green and believe me it wasn't grass and repairs on the trailer were $1500.00 and would be double that amount with to days costs. The trailer smelled like a cow corral. We had to move the trailer wee hours in the morning.

Stealing is terrible, and with the competition for space, from people on public land, are we not stealing space when a person doesn't obey the camping laws. Matter of degree I guess.

Unless the law for parking a trailer has changed on forest service land a person is required to frequent their camp site every 24 hours.

you should double check that !
the law for having a trailer on forest service land is 14 days!!
then you have to move it or they will issue you a citation.

It's 21 days here in CA..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Kirt Darner?WTF would steal a book signed by a poaching,lieing POS like him?Thieves must have been desperate and stupid.

14 days has been correct, at least in Utah. You need to look at the fine print!! You cannot leave the trailer there without occupying it for a short time each day. At least that is what it used to be and I have not heard of a change.

I think I would rather have someone save their spot, then that other group of campers/hunters, that leave the wal-mart parking lot at 1 am after loading all their food/tags and gear to come camp right on top of people the night before the opener or a long weekend. They'll spend hours driving around in the dark looking for a place to pull over and camp, before they decide to set up camp and tie their tent strings off on your trailer. Screw them and their 1947 single axle caveman. lol

That is sort of what I figured the law might read. You can probably be in one spot for a maximum number of days, but not unless the campsite is being occupied on a daily basis. My guess is that if there were enough people complaining about what you guys are talking about that there could be be some tickets written when people leave a site for days at a time just to keep a "claim" on it. I wouldn't do it to hog a spot if I'm not there, as well as having to worry about vandalism and theft.

I don't have much tolerance for stealing or vandalizing things. I don't have much good stuff and I hope it does not happen to me. But if it does, I can sssure you that I'll be looking. I hope people whack (and I mean with a high powered rifle) a few of these thieves. Maybe if a few get dealt with quickly and severely, the others will slow down their thievery. Stealing from people who you know are carrying loaded weapons does not seem like good judgment to me. I know exaclty what I'd do if I came back and ran into someone stealing from me or fooling with my wife or kids.

Sure, taking a camping place too long is an issue. But it's not like stealing. Deal with those people who are stealing swiftly and surely.

P.S. Don't come to my house thinking you can steal either. Unless you can outrun a 300 mag, you'll be in trouble.

The stealing of "stuff" is a clear-cut topic -end of story, but you "spot-hoggers" who park your trailer several days in advance and not occupy it are not obeying the law. I admit I have been guilty of it in the past, but with the increasing use of our public lands it is really not fair to the other campers. I have seen some trailers parked on forest service land in the same spot most of the summer without moving. Is that fair to others when they take the prime land. To the person who had the items stole I really feel for you, but did you leave an open invitation by leaving your trailer there unoccupied for several days.

There is no excuse for stealing. A wise person once told me that every law and safeguard should be in place in business and in life to keep the honest man honest. The crook will always get you once in a while.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-11 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]No one has the right to steal another man's property. The issue of property left on public land for whatever reason is another matter all together, but should be respected and left alone. Hell, file a complaint or change the damn law, but just don't go and steal someone's hard earned property just because you're ticked off.

Eldorado

CAMPING

You must be 18 years of age or older to register for a campsite.
Use picnic sites, swimming beaches, and other day use areas only between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. At some campgrounds, visitors must obtain a Day Use Permit prior to entering the campground.
Campgrounds and other recreation sites can be used only for recreation purposes. Permanent use or use as a principal residence is not allowed.
Maximum length of stay is is 14 days, then you have to move.
A single site may be used by up to 6 persons with 2 vehicles. A double site may be used by up to 12 persons with 4 vehicles. Visitors and additional vehicles may be charged.
Only registered campers are permitted after 10 p.m.
Observe posted check out times. If you are late leaving, you will be charged for any additional night.
In campgrounds, camp only in designated sites. Do not camp in the woods or on grass.
A campsite must be occupied the first night of the period the facilities have been reserved. You must put a tent or a camper on the site after you have registered and paid for the site so it is obviously occupied.
Camping equipment cannot be left unattended for more than 24 hours without permission by the Forest Ranger.
The federal government and concessionaires are not responsible for any loss or damage to personal property.
Remove all personal property and put your trash in refuse containers when leaving.
Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Turn off all music and refrain from any loud activities or noises. If a neighbor camper is disturbing you, please bring it to the attention of the campground host. Generators may be used for a total of no more than 3 hours between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Pets must always be restrained or on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times. Pets are not allowed in beach swimming areas or restrooms. Pets are not to be left barking or unattended. Owners are responsible for cleaning up waste from their pets.
Use of fireworks or other explosives is prohibited within campgrounds and other recreation sites.
Alcohol intoxication or drinking alcoholic beverages in a public place is prohibited.

Maximum length of stay 14 days
Camp cannot be left unattended for more than 24 hours.

Seems to be the standard among different national forests.

I hate a thief and think if you catch one stealing from you you should kill him! People crying about unocupied campsites...whats next, hey, that was MY bull you shot.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]I was up camping in that area this weekend. I was amazed at how many RV's were left unattended. Skyline Drive was a packed circus.

I dont have problems with someone dropping there rig. That area has so many places to camp. If the one ya like is taken move on.

Sucks that people break in and steal stuff. When I would leave my rig parked for months at a time (Private Property I OWN) I was alway careful what I left inside it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 11:03?AM (MST)

interesting thread. (especially now)

I knew it was only a matter of time because of the increasing number of low-lifes in the world.

My wife and I parked my little Honda atv and took a hike. Upon our return we found someone had searched throught the bags and boxes on my quad. They could have taken much more stuff but only took my wife's cheap binoculars.

They went through everything and that's all they took? Oh, they found my roll of TB and left a crap in front of the machine. (sorry but I will no be collecting their DNA)

Should I feel lucky that's all they took? I would love to thank them in person or at least introduce them to Mr Sig Sauer. (knee-jerk reaction)

Zeke

This is just more proof that some mothers should have flushed the turds instead of breast feeding them.

No, because I'm sure what I would do would be a lot worse than theft and then I'd pay for it the rest of my life!

That is pure BS. F'rs need to be dealt with immediately. I know that area is always packed with camps. My bro-in-law and his buddies use the C canyon area and have a camp there. One of the grandpas set up that camp many years ago, I'm talking 45-50 years. They have showed up to camp and other people have been in there with their trailers and tents. Grandpa tells em, "hey, this is our camp, been here for years ,you guys gotta go." New people say it is National Forest and public land , we are here first, find somewhere else. Grandpa say's OK, but you ain't using my corral. Grandpa walks over, opens gate and chases all the horses out. Get's back in truck and parks right in the middle of camp while pissed of people are chasing horses. Bro-in-law and others start showing up and have to park on Skyline Drive while new pissed off people round up horses. Bro-in-law and friends unload their horses and put them in the corral and start setting up camp in the very crowded spot. New people leave and camp has been re-established. Pretty ballsy if you ask me but hey,the ole boy has been camping there for so many years he don't give a chit. Ole boy lives in Moroni and herding sheep and cows for so long that a lot of the horse trails in that area , he was the first to tramp through there.
Further south on the Miller's Flat road, Bald ridge, Upper Joe's Valley. My sister-in-laws dad herded sheep there when he was a kid and kept up on the mountain all his life. We still find his name on aspen tree's in some of the strangest places. I can show you many places where ole boy's camped all summer down there.
I hate the guy's that park their equipment there and save a spot for a week or 2. I have a few favorite spots down there and if someone is there when I show up, I just keep going to another spot. Never broke into someones camp but did have to use a floor jack that was holding up a corner of a trailer once. Put the jack back in the same spot and leveled the trailer back up, left the guy a thank you note and apologized for the intrusion.
Theives and spot hoggers just piss me off!!
My family has been down there for so long, my dad and uncle owned one of the other trucking companies that helped to improve that road and pave it 35 years ago. My dad and mom's family are from that area and both grew up with their siblings on the Huntington side. Beautiful country, God's country we call it. Just way too many people down there anymore. Think I'll hunt the Ashley N.F. this year. Where you hunting B-Bop?
I agree with one of the 1st post's here. Check out the local towns for the tweakers, nothing worse than a tweaking thief!!

I agree that trailers/camp sites left for days/weeks on end unattended are just asking for trouble. You shouldnt leave ANYTHING including a trailer alone like that unless you consider all those things expendable. But even trailers/gear that is just left for the day or whatever while someone hunts, gets broken into sometimes.

Just a thought....Has anyone thought of or done any type of booby traps for their trailers/gear? That would be a riot!

?-ERock-> ?

+1 on the booby trap ideas! That would be pretty funny stuff.

My personal opinion of theives is that they all should hang. If you were caught going through my stuff you would get shot. Dead men tell no tales, so if you are going through my stuff be prepared to have enough lead thrown you way to make sure you can't tell your side of the story.

With that though, use common sense when you leave your gear! Don't leave anything for an extended period that you aren't willing to lose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom