Wasatch Archery Elk - This May Be the Year

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
Based upon the recently released proposed tag numbers (http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/info/2010-03-04.pdf), there will likely be a substantial increase in Wasatch Archery Elk tags in 2010. The proposal includes an increase from 108 archery tags in 2009 to 153 tags in 2010. I personally think it is a great idea to give out more archery tags where you have a lower success rate in an effort to move more people through the system. Plus, the Wasatch is a huge area with lots of elk.

After tagging along with drflyelk on his Wasatch archery hunt last year, I have come to the conclusion that this is a great opportunity for archery elk hunters. With the increase in archery tags, more favorable calendar dates and good elk numbers, this may be the year to take a shot on the Wasatch if you are a resident sitting on 0-5 bonus points and want to hunt elk now.

Also, due to the DWR?s technical glitch, the online application system will remain open until 11 p.m. on March 8, 2010. Heck, a guy could even withdraw an already submitted application and re-apply for the Wasatch. Just a friendly heads up based upon my review of the numbers.

What do the rest of you think about the proposed tag numbers?

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

I dont understand people. Someone may get on here and point something out to people for help, or give them some ideas or suggestions or just PLAIN INFORMATION and someone is PISSED OFF.

It sounds like a fellow "SPORTSMAN" helping out another fellow "SPROTSMAN". I guess thats a bad thing now days, right?

Besides alp75 with his pannies in a bunch, I think also the wasatch has some good bulls. I helped a friends dad hunt it last year. We had a blast and saw some goooood bulls. With more tags, that = more opportunity. Thanks Hawkeye for being a sportsman.

Don't you hate guys who come on here and bash a response because they don't understand what the little smiley face at the end meant?...... Terry

Sorry, I am not a computer person. I don't know the abreviations and stuff that people use. I will pay more attention to that stuff.

Good Hunting!

No big deal. I was just trying to give people a heads-up particularly since the DWR has extended the application period to March 8th.

Does anyone have any pictures of Wasatch archery bulls from recent years?

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Awesome!! Let's make it 250 tags for 2011 though!! (Kidding...but the point is keep raising tag numbers.)

Let's raise any weapon tag numbers too...start getting some guys outta the point pool and onto the mountain!

Wasatch, Nebo, Manti, etc...turn 'em into "opportunity" units. Let guys hunt and kill 300" bulls.

Pahvant, San Juan, Monroe, etc...keep 'em "trophy" with low tag numbers.

Yep, Robiland the little smilie after the post means the comment was a joke. Now if this smilie x( or no smilie next to it you might want to make the assumption you just did.

Yeah Robiland.....don't get your panties in a bunch if you see the smiley face.
:) = joke.

According to the new elk survey and the proposal for management aren't they going to provide more opportunity for Archery hunters on the West corridor of this Unit? Does this mean they are going to split the unit so they can lower any weapon tags and increase archery tags? I was interested in this proposal but I didn't see how they were going to accomplish it. I for one think the unit can handle more tags especially archery, however, with spike and deer hunters on the mountain it can make the bulls tougher to call in. Over the past years I've been within bow range on several boomer bulls and it is my favorite Unit to hunt.

>Hawkeye,
>
>Just curious what hunt you put
>in for?

bowhnter23-

I originally applied for the Manti archery tag. Although I know the quality is not as good as on the Wasatch I wanted to hunt sooner rather than later. However, with the proposed increase in tags for the Wasatch, and the extension of the application period, I am seriously considering switching to the Wasatch. I have spent time on both units during the archery hunt and have a pretty good feel for both units.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom