Wasatch Extended Elk

ThunderImpulse4

First off i want to thank all those who gave me several spots to look for elk this season even though i never saw one i am still greatful good karma is on its way.

now i have absolutely no idea what to do when it comes to the extended hunt at all. any info even if its telling me to wait till the tail end of the hunt!!!

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot it the last day

I pulled a big goose egg as well - don't feel left out. Unbelievable. Looking forward to seeing any advice on the wasatch extended as well or hearing how many others were unsuccessful.

its hard to give away a great honey hole. just ang out with the guys who blab everything they find and see. buy him a beer ( root beer in Utah) and say thanks.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Best advice I can give is to leave bugles and cow calls at home,and lace your boots tight. Just gotta get out there and explore. Good Luck!

Athens Archery Field Staff
SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

>Best advice I can give is
>to leave bugles and cow
>calls at home,and lace your
>boots tight. Just gotta get
>out there and explore. Good
>Luck!
>
>Athens Archery Field Staff
>SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me
>for a nice MM discount
>on Horn Hunter and Tarantula
>products)

+100

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-11 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]+1 on leaving your calls at home! I spent the last few days on the front and I could not believe how many guys were up there bugin and cow callin NONSTOP.....just a hint if you dont get a response the first couple of times you bugle shut the he!! up. I heard a guy with a sick sounding bugle blow it at least 39 times this morning...no exageration, I counted.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-11
>AT 07:08?PM (MST)

>
>+1 on leaving your calls at
>home! I spent the last
>few days on the front
>and I could not believe
>how many guys were up
>there bugin and cow callin
>NONSTOP.....just a hint if you
>dont get a response the
>first couple of times you
>bugle shut the he!! up.
>I heard a guy with
>a sick sounding bugle blow
>it at least 39 times
>this morning...no exageration, I counted.
>

lol, I saw this very same thing 2 days in a row on the beaver unit. The sad thing is these 2 guys were hunting a 250 5 point!

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
BF

I beg to differ on leaving the calls at home I had a couple bulls screaming in my face last saturday on the extended areas. missed a big six point from an arrow deflection off a twig. Hopefully I will be able to post one down this weekend. good luck guys

Hike and hike some more. I usually try to cover as much ground as possible. Then when I am totally burned out and tired I don't have the desire to go again until next year. That is what keeps me off of the front.

Now what was it you were asking again??

It's those few opportunities though that keep you coming back every year.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

I called in a bull the other day in an area that everyone thinks they need to bugle off into. It was on an any bull area during the archery hunt. It drives me nuts when I am way out in the middle of nowhere and I hear a bugle and I move toward it only to find some guy on an open face looking downhill at me. Even worse when he is sitting in his truck or on his 4 wheeler.

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

I wouldnt leave the calls at home some areas they are very call shy others there not it just depends where ya go on the front.

The bull I killed on the front last year was headed directly away from a guy blowing a bugle... just sayin.

I believe these elk know what all the other elk in the area sound like. If they hear ANYTHING suspicious they will clam up at the least. If you are fortunate enough to hear a real bugle, 90% of the time the best thing is to get the wind in your favor and sneak in on him IMO.

Athens Archery Field Staff
SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

saw a nice little 6 point last night on the front, all by himself, no cows or anything else with him. he didn't bugle a single time. wasn't able to get in close enough for a shot as it was about 30 minutes before last light.

Seen a 4 point bugling and chasing cows this morning. head a lot of bugling.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom