Wasatch LE Elk vs Fish Lake

Hard to get a serious response this close to tag application. A more specific question about one of the units might get a response. I view it as a coin flip depending on the year unless you already know one area better than the other as thats a huge advantage.

Pretty equal in all reality - on the Fishlake, many of the elk move to private property/CWMU with pressure. Similar challenges on the Wasatch. Quality of bulls is about equal.

Agree with other posters to pick the unit you know best and can scout the most. That is what will make the difference.

They’re all the same when it comes to quality and experience. There’s a few big bulls roaming around on all the units. Pick a unit, go hunt and have fun. A lot of folks worried about picking the wrong unit these days. Commit to a unit and start learning where the caliber of bull you’re after is living on the unit. Then go hunt.

But to answer your question based upon my response, I would choose Wasatch because it is closer to home and I can make more scouting trips down there to learn where the bulls like to hang. It’s all relevant to the mindset of the hunter as to what unit they would pick. It’s not always about the dreamy 400” bull goal that everyone seems to fantasize over. We all have different reasons why we choose to hunt where we hunt.

It’s like asking a person that is lactose intolerant to help you choose a favorite milk. They’re gonna give you useless information because their reasons for doing what they do are going to be different than your reasons for doing what you do.

I did a cow elk hunt in 2015 on the Wasatch and a bull elk in 2019 on Fishlake. The wasatch was fun but I really enjoyed the Fishlake hunt. I got into more elk on the fishlake hunt and really enjoyed the scenery more. I had a few more elk hunts under my belt between the Wasatch and Fishlake hunts which 8m sure made a difference. Don't think you could go wrong with either but if I were given the choice it would be Fishlake again for me.

Both are managed very similar as far as trophy potential. I would recommend hunting the unit that is closer to you. That way you can spend more time scouting. Boots on the ground goes a long ways on any unit.

My son drew the Wasatch tag and both he and I had Covid. We had to turn his tag in. I wrote about it in “Heartbreak on the Wasatch “ thread. Luckily they gave him his points back and we’ll try again this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom