Wasatch or Plateau Fishlake-Thousand Lake Archery

PCPython

Hey guys and gals. I'm a nonresident with 8 elk points. I was wondering what your thoughts are on these two units. Which has better trophy potential and has the least access issues. I have horses and mules and all the camping equipment with the ability to get away from the crowds. I'm probably several years away from drawing one of the true premium units. Just looking for a good quality hunt with the possibility of taking a big bull. Thanx in advance.

hang on to your points for 3-4 more years and then put in for either of the units.....

both can and consistently do produce truely giant bulls, however in my opinion if your looking for a trophy bull now is not the time to hunt them.....

If your just looking to hunt and want a good experience both will do, i'd probably lean toward plateau fishlake for the experience and wasatch for fun.....the snatch has six and a billion bulls on it right now with low trophy quality while the other doesn't have as many bulls it would be less people to compete with.....so kind of a toss up IMHO

littlebeaver.jpg

Thanx for the info. I might draw Arizona this year so holding out a few more years might be a good idea.

+1 on what berryblaster said. I also will tell you that you don't need a pack train to hunt either unit. Horses will be nice transportation but the Wasatch is a very difficult area to "get away" from the crouds. There are places that you can haul a spike camp into but very few of those places exist on the Wasatch. Too many roads for that.

It's always an adventure!!!

With only 5 NR PPs either of these archery tags would be a pleasant surprise.

I'm not really tracking on why they'll be better in a few years. I see the steady tag increases on the Wasatch. Do you guys think that'll change?? Just looking at the doubling of NR archery tags in the last 3 years leads me to believe the resident rifle, muzzy and archery tags plus the "give aways" have increased at about the same rate. Realizing that this affects quality, how do you know this trend won't continue, or get worse?

And at my age I'll be lucky to hunt a LE Utah unit more than once in my life while I can still do the tag justice. But if I were to draw this year................

cal, there are some rumors floating around founded on wolves and the excessive tags from this year that there will be tag cuts.....

if that occurs it will take about 3-4 years before the quality peaks again.....

littlebeaver.jpg

berry, I appreciate the insight.

Personally, I want to hunt where I'll have a chance at a 320 type bull with my bow. As soon as possible. I don't need a 350+ to be happy. I may have to get a "Points" tag anyways and that would be another 4-5 years but i'd prefer to draw as soon as possible, get it done and start over.

I've come to the conclusion that Utah's "marginal" LE units are better than just about any other hunt, anywhere. I base that on the possibility I can do it more than once before I'm too old. Nevada, Arizona, once if I'm lucky.

Plus 30 days to hunt??? Hope it happens soon.

I've heard those rumors berry! You know right where to go on the Wasatch Hunter! About the only place that you can take a horse into and spike camp and be smack dab in the middle of elk heaven. Where we hunted with your dad was just on the outskirts of that big nasty place but you know the general area. If you draw the tag you know who to call my friend. I told you I would help you and I meant it.:)

Someone instilled my Utah theory in me, "Better to hunt often with a bow than once with a rifle." Made too much sense to ignore. You won't guess who that was, will you?

Plus a 30 day season.

I already have a plan. First 10 days and last 10 days. 3 or more tree stands for the 1st 10 days. If I can't kill a 320 the first 10 days, I'll chase em till they just give up the last 10 days.

If/when I draw that tag, I'll be there in late July just getting stuff set up. And I'll enjoy every minute of it. A kill is anti-climatic anyways.

Califelkslayer,

Where in CA are you? I'm out in the desert northeast of LA a few hours. I'm looking at trying to draw this year and get back in line for another possible archery hunt while I still can.

Califelkslayer sounds like a plan. My only concern would be leaving the stands out for some loser to steal. I have 7 pp going in this year. I'm crossing my fingers.

JR

Sounds like I stole someone elses post, and that you both have better chances than me to draw. 7PPs is close to guarenteed........if they don't cut tag numbers.

I'll never guarentee someone won't steal my stands and/or cameras. BUT they'll have to work for em.

"I'll never guarentee someone won't steal my stands and/or cameras. BUT they'll have to work for em."

Yes they will!!!:)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom