WasatchMnt. - Diamond Fork cow Elk hunt

400bull

Very Active Member
My boy and I have the Wasatch Diamond Fork cow Elk hunt from Nov 12-Dec 11 this year. We went out last weekend right at dusk glassing some of the bigger canyons to see if we could catch any elk cutting the hillsides or coming out to feed. Much to my surprise we did not see one elk that evening. If any of you happened to be hunting the area for the spike hunt I would be interested in knowing if you were seeing much this year.

400bull

I've been on this hunt several times,
Used to be very good.
in fact , 2008 and 09 were outstanding!
So I had one of my boys draw it in 2010, IT SUCKED!
No cows showed up until the late hunt, even then it
was only a about an 18% success rate...

Then last year some cows did show up for the early
hunt ,BUT, the forest service closed every road and
ATV trail on the unit just before the hunt opened...

And I understand that will be the case from now on,
The only road that will be open after snowfall will
be Sheep Creek, Snow Machines only, and not allowed
to leave that road until they reach the open riding
zone in the high country...........

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

There is plenty of elk in the area year round. They like the thick stuff right now but the leaves are falling making it easier to see them now. The best way to hunt is after a fresh snow fall. Access can be limited if gates are locked. Get a map that shows where you can ride wheelers. Diamond Fork is all but shut down to wheelers. All of our cows have been near roads and shot after a short hike. Like most hunting first light and evening are the best time to spot elk on the move. Get up high and glass and then close in on them. I like to hunt the sheep creek side. Goood luck.

Anyone having any luck on this hunt? Our group should have had at least one if not two down the opening weekend. I believe buck fever set in when my neighbor took his first shoot ever at a cow elk. Needless to say he missed twice at a 300 yard stand broadside shoot. Since the opening day we have not been able to find any cow elk. We have seen a fair number of bulls, several good bucks, and even a couple moose. But no cow elk. So how has everyone else be doing on this hunt?

400bull

Thanksgiving day drove up to look around all gates were locked from diamond fork to sheep creek, No joke every gate I checked in the area was locked. Seem's early to me. I feel bad for those with tags. You'll have to hike a long ways to even see an elk can't imagine trying to pack one. Unless it snows or the gates are open I wouldn't waste the gas and time. It's frustrating that they close our public land.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom