Wasps

ktg

Anyone else notice a LOT of wasps on the mountain this year. Must have something to do with the winter we had. I spent a good 15 years logging on the mountain and I've never seen a year like this. Aug 18-22 we were on the mountain. When the wind was calm, there was a constant buzzing everywhere from all those little suckers. We found several wasp nests, one was about the size of a basketball. I got stung once and one of my kids got stung twice.

That is bad news. Last hunting season in Colorado was especially tough. The picture is of an elk quarter; Ground bees (yellow jackets). Damn! That’s all I have.

IMG_3779.jpeg

I have found several large wasp nestson the mountain. I almost stepped on one of them. I have been bitten 13 times this summer at my house. Nine of those bites were in a single incident. ?

Only stung once by a wasp. It was on my finger but my whole lower arm went stay puff within about 2-3 minutes, then went right back down. Scared the bejeezis out of me.

I was just telling my buddy yesterday I can't remember ever seeing this many wasps. They love building nests in my horse panels. I got stung 10+ times one night moving the feeder they invaded. Luckily I had on long sleeves and pants. My hands hurt like hell for a few hours.

That is bad news. Last hunting season in Colorado was especially tough. The picture is of an elk quarter; Ground bees (yellow jackets). Damn! That’s all I have.

View attachment 118381
SS! Get’s up my butt about being scared of griz……… this picture has my pulse up to120, just looking at.

Some years we have more wasps at the house than others. There is no doubt, extra stuff in the yard add to their nesting locations. I’ve cleaned up some of the crap and it’s made a difference. Not so bad this year, here at my place. I keep a canister of Raid in the house and the shop. If I see any number, I pay them a visit. Raid is death on contact but I’m gonna give littlebull’s recipe a try.

I do know this, be careful where you stick your hands this time of year, those little bastards bite quick and often, the pain is exquisite and memorable.

Hey Lumpy.
Forget the wasp spray and raid, it just pisses off the survivors. Nuke them little bastards!
Just wait until it’s all but dark out and take a good size can of WD-40 spray with a nozzle and just turn loose at their entire nest. They’ll come out gangbusters, only to have their license to fly instantly revoked because of the oil on their wings. Hit each one as they climb out.
Once they hit the ground, the oil poisons them and they’re stone cold dead within about 30 seconds. You can attack a huge nest and they‘ll be lucky if more than a few survive.

Hey Lumpy.
Forget the wasp spray and raid, it just pisses off the survivors. Nuke them little bastards!
Just wait until it’s all but dark out and take a good size can of WD-40 spray with a nozzle and just turn loose at their entire nest. They’ll come out gangbusters, only to have their license to fly instantly revoked because of the oil on their wings. Hit each one as they climb out.
Once they hit the ground, the oil poisons them and they’re stone cold dead within about 30 seconds. You can attack a huge nest and they‘ll be lucky if more than a few survive.
See what happens when we can come together over a common enemy!!

Thanks for the tip Shadow, I keep WD-40 handy so, I’ll be seeking an opportunity.

Just be sure and do it right at dark, when they’re all in the nest. Otherwise, the ones that are out will put up a helluva fight.

Had two nests on my 1/2 acre at home. Yellow jackets. Ground dwellers. They did not like me cutting the weeds near their nests. Stung multiple times. Cup of gas at night and cover up. Solves the problem.

Brake cleaner or parts cleaner are instant death to the little bastards. I keep a few cans around just for them. Works better then any wasp spray or WD40. One shot and they're dead before they hit the ground. Can even shoot em out of the air.
Wes

Brake cleaner or parts cleaner are instant death to the little bastards. I keep a few cans around just for them. Works better then any wasp spray or WD40. One shot and they're dead before they hit the ground. Can even shoot em out of the air.
Wes
Love it!

I experienced exactly the opposite where I hunt. Typically it's awful. So awful that I actually packed a couple of those wasp traps to hang on my awning. I was pleasantly surprised that there were hardly any wasps/yellow jackets on the mountain. Wonder why??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom