What kind of bird is this?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Anyone know what bird this is?

BC9038D2-42AA-4748-8F8D-2E15628221A0.jpeg

F9DE4609-877E-4161-8D80-41D2F07CD650.jpeg

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
Sandhills migrate all the way from northern Canada down to the deserts in AZ & elsewhere like the Bosque del Apache in NM. So you're liable to see them resting anywhere in between.

When I was hunting caribou in the NWT, we saw 1000s of them, and the same on my moose hunt in northern BC. At the latter, a big flock would stop on a tundra covered hill top & spend the night, then leave in the morning. And boy, do they make a racket, both when flying over & while feeding.

Sandhillsun1opt.jpg

sandhillsfly.jpg

Last edited:

EVILNR

Very Active Member
Used to see a lot of them when i lived in Central FL.
They loved subdivisions and golf courses.
Dumb as a sack of rocks, could kill em with a baseball bat.

Bluehair

Long Time Member
This is like one of those threads where the birdwatchers document their sightings. :)

Put me down for Dolores County; 8000’ ish. They do have a cool call. I was struck by how tall they are.

wytex

Wait til you spook a pair trying to sneak across a meadow, they will do a scraping run while calling, loud enough to alert the whole area.
They like the high mountain meadows , we've seen them at 9,000 ft.

Blank

Long Time Member
We call them "damn side hill cranes"! Run into them all the time at 7-9000 feet while bow hunting elk here in Idaho. Scare the crap out of you in the dark, especially in grizzly country.

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
We had a pair in front of our cabin this year at 9500 feet. You could hear them coming in for a landing at Seven mile creek. They are loud. But pretty cool to see and listen to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom