What to do with a rifle -during muzz?

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
I am from CA, have a southern general muzz tag, and a NV rifle tag. I want to just go straight to NV after my muzz hunt (they actually overlap a couple of days), but a rifle in the truck is a no no on a UT muzz hunt...Anywhere around St. George to store a rifle? Maybe someone here would do it for me?
Thanks...

I'm not understanding why you cant take it with you while on your UT ML hunt? As long as you are not packing it while actually 'hunting' I don't see a problem leaving it in a case unloaded and in your truck? Might be a problem if you are packing it on the ATV but back at camp in the truck or just in the truck shouldn't be a problem. You are an American citizen, you have the right to keep and bare arms.

Todd

If you obtain a muzzleloader permit, a muzzleloading rifle is the only firearm you may have in your possession during the muzzleloader hunt. In addition, you may not have any other firearm in your camp or motor vehicle during the muzzleloader hunt.

http://www.bowhuntersofutah.net

>If you obtain a muzzleloader permit,
>a muzzleloading rifle is the
>only firearm you may have
>in your possession during the
>muzzleloader hunt. In addition, you
>may not have any other
>firearm in your camp or
>motor vehicle during the muzzleloader
>hunt.
>
>http://www.bowhuntersofutah.net

Shotgun is allowed for taking smallgame. Also a person can have other weapons with them if they have a conceal carry permit. Get a permit and don't worry about the rifle.

Justin--

I know what the rule says but don't believe its enforceable. I don't know a CO who would issue a ticket for it. I don't know anyone who ever has. I see it as a violation of the 2nd amendment and a contradiction to UTs own rule where there is not a season on coyotes and can be hunted 365 without a permit.

I would like to see it challenged some day.

Todd

The CCW would only apply to your concealed carry gun, not a hunting rifle. I think you could challenge it and win. But... And I know you likely wouldn't be written up. Still, I'd rather just not chance it....

Todd
we have been told By the GW that we can't even carry our rifles in the pickup after filling our tags for deer because as long as the deer season is going we CAN'T hunt coyotes.
Just think how many deer would be saved if the GW would let us hunt them (coyotes) after we fill our tags.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Put it in a case and dont pull it out for anything. Leave it at the camper, hotel, tent whatever you are staying in. If your not being stupid and shooting or flashing it around nobody will know you have it and wont go searching through your stuff.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

If it comes down to it you can leave it in my safe. I live near St. George. I also have a muzz tag.

>Put it in a case and
>dont pull it out for
>anything. Leave it at the
>camper, hotel, tent whatever you
>are staying in. If your
>not being stupid and shooting
>or flashing it around nobody
>will know you have it
>and wont go searching through
>your stuff.
>
>
>You find out who your friends
>are when you see who
>shows up to help pack
>your bull out!
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'd second this. In Utah your conceal gun doesn't have to be concealed, so your weapon of choice does not matter. Strap an AR on your back and you would be legal.

if you dont want to have it with you take it to a pawn shop in st george. pawn it for like 25 bucks so your interest is only about 5 bucks and then pick it back up on your way to nevada.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-10 AT 07:21AM (MST)[p]Maybe take the bolt out so it is inoperable? Store the bolt somewhere away from the gun. In CA it is almost impossible to see the DA prosecute any gun related crime if the gun is unable to fire.

Contact the game warden for the unit you are going to hunt and explain the situation. A little ground work before the hunt and all your worries might go away. I have contacted the game wardens in the units I have hunted on several of my hunts. I have had a Utah resident tag and lived in Colorado. Moved after the draw. I called and talked with the Game warden. Did not want to try and explain myself during the hunt. The warden was great and I had no problems. I moved from Colorado to Wyoming and had the same situation. 4th season Co deer tag and I lived in Wyoming. Again called the warden in Colorado. I had again moved after the draw. Game Warden was great again. No problems. I shot a bull elk on a New Mexico archery elk hunt and I found the quickest way to get my bull out was through unit 27 in AZ. I called the AZ game warden and explained what I wanted to do. The warden met me at the trail head and I gave him GPS directions to kill site. Guy was great and even helped me get my bull out. In my experience a quick call to the game warden could help a lot.

I have in-laws that live in Hurrican, one buddy that lives in St. George and another that lives in Cedar City. If you need someone to hold it for you for a week or so let me know/PM me.

I will also be down in the southern unit around Cedar City hunting during the Muzzleloader hunt myself.

>if you dont want to have
>it with you take it
>to a pawn shop in
>st george. pawn it for
>like 25 bucks so your
>interest is only about 5
>bucks and then pick it
>back up on your way
>to nevada.

Kinda what I was thinking, seems like cheap storage.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom