When the Blacktails are laying tight

If you're going to knock trees down, I advise doing it only on private property with permission. Look what happened at Mt. St Helens.

The most fun you can have with you clothes on.

It’s take practice to get good at it.

1. You have to find a rock that won’t come apart on during gravitational part of the event.

2. The rock has to be large, like 3 feet or more in diameter, at least square, if not closer to round.

3. Rock has to be natural perched (because it’s got to be way heavier than you can move by hand) on an extremely steep grassy hill/mountain that is free of trees and thick brush for at least the first 4 or 5 hundred yards. (The videos posted here are excellent examples of this concept.)

4. For the biggest tingle up your leg, a thick forest of trees needs be spread across the base of the mountain. Again, the videos demonstrate ann ideal setting in this component of the concept.

5. Bulldog commitment is crucial, because the success rate is low and failures are frequent.

6. About the time you get old enough to know better and have grown a conscience about such things, you come around a turn and BAM…… your mind and previous failures tells you, Holy Sh!t, will you look at that! And you can’t help yourself. If you were born late enough in the last century to have a video camera with you, that’s huge advancement in rock rolling technology. Then…….. if you’re stupid enough, which you’ve long since proved you are, post it for the world to see, you’re especially fortunate.

7. Always carry a crowbar with you while you’re our there.

8. If you’re horse back, make sure you have a good hold on the halter rope before you lean the rock over the last half inch.

9. After you see the carnage, its only natural that you would wonder if anybody might have been down in those trees. It’s also natural that you allow those thoughts to influence the tingle going up your leg.

10. It’s like any other form of hunting, alway keep your eyes searching for that moment to happen. The best opportunities don’t come often, you need to have already thought through what you’re going to do before the time comes.

1. You have to find a rock that won’t come apart on during gravitational part of the event.

2. The rock has to be large, like 3 feet or more in diameter, at least square, if not closer to round.

3. Rock has to be natural perched (because it’s got to be way heavier than you can move by hand) on an extremely steep grassy hill/mountain that is free of trees and thick brush for at least the first 4 or 5 hundred yards. (The videos posted here are excellent examples of this concept.)

4. For the biggest tingle up your leg, a thick forest of trees needs be spread across the base of the mountain. Again, the videos demonstrate ann ideal setting in this component of the concept.

5. Bulldog commitment is crucial, because the success rate is low and failures are frequent.

6. About the time you get old enough to know better and have grown a conscience about such things, you come around a turn and BAM…… your mind and previous failures tells you, Holy Sh!t, will you look at that! And you can’t help yourself. If you were born late enough in the last century to have a video camera with you, that’s huge advancement in rock rolling technology. Then…….. if you’re stupid enough, which you’ve long since proved you are, post it for the world to see, you’re especially fortunate.

8. If you’re horse back, make sure you have a good hold on the halter rope before you lean the rock over the last half inch.

9. After you see the carnage, its only natural that you would wonder if anybody might have been down in those trees. It’s also natural that you allow those thoughts to influence the tingle going up your leg.

10. It’s like any other form of hunting, alway keep your eyes searching for that moment to happen. The best opportunities don’t come often, you need to have already thought through what you’re going to do before the time comes.
Very well said, you got it. Sometimes you're hiking along not thinking about anything when a rock pops up in front of you and you start checking out the possibilities and then playing it through in your mind. Then you make a decision. If the decision process makes you laugh, it's almost always a go.

With all the canyons and rock formations in Utah, there must be a few golden opportunities still out there.

Very well said, you got it. Sometimes you're hiking along not thinking about anything when a rock pops up in front of you and you start checking out the possibilities and then playing it through in your mind. Then you make a decision. If the decision process makes you laugh, it's almost always a go.

With all the canyons and rock formations in Utah, there must be a few golden opportunities still out there.
Well, it’s kinda like our mule deer eel…….. there used to be but, the opportunities have been pretty depleted over the nearly 50 years I’ve been here.

I learned the thrill and got the tinglies back above the timber line, north of Banff, Alberta, back in the 60’s while sheep hunting. Some of those bare slopes were 45 degrees and were nearly a half mile above the timberline. I think you understand what it feels like to watch 100 foot high bouncing granite and instant tooth picks on impact. It can be additive if you’re not careful.

Does spectacular come to mind.

However, Southern Utah’s sandstone sucks, it can’t take a punch and often disintegrates prematurely. ?

Dead on description on the art of rollin' boulders.

That is a lot of fun. I’ve done it a few times before. The violent crashy sounds they make are cool. The best one was as a kid camping on lake Powell, I climbed up maybe 200' above our camp and tossed off a big flat rock onto the sand below and it sounded like a bomb went off because we were in a cove. My dad and his friend almost defecated in their pants it scared them so much since I didn’t tell anyone where I went or what I was doing.

Yes sir, I like to think I am, but, from what I can make of it I'm just an
amateur compared to you! ?
As I recall you have more interesting pass times than me. Where you rolling boulders, to see if Butch left a hot payroll stash under them. Are you still pulling the floor boards up in old abandon cabins, looking for old coins and other shiny objects? Coming across an old peaches can, filled with Indian head pennies would darn sure give me a tinkle or two.

As I recall you have more interesting pass times than me. Where you rolling boulders, to see if Butch left a hot payroll stash under them. Are you still pulling the floor boards up in old abandon cabins, looking for old coins and other shiny objects? Coming across an old peaches can, filled with Indian head pennies would darn sure give me a tinkle or two.
I ain't never done or found any of that stuff, you might have me confused with another runamuk.

I’m sorry. A few years ago I was sending post out about Ferrest Finns hidden treasure. I was thinking you posted a few pictures of old finds you’d made. You can’t trust me about anything anymore!
?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom