Which red dot for pistol?

fatrooster

Long Time Member
I'm not a gun nut and don't know much about gun optics. I've got a Springfield compact elite with 3.8" barrel in 10mm. Wanting to put a red dot sight on it but I don't know which one to get. The gun came with the Hex dragonfly but I'm not happy with the small sized red dot. Looking at Holosun but not sure which one to get. 507c? What are your thoughts on this sight or any others? Gun will be used as bear protection in grizzly country. Hopefully never to be used. Fatrooster.

Look at the Sig Romeo 3XL. They make one that has a 6 Moa dot and one that has a 3 Moa. For close up defense on a bear the 6 MOA is what you want. Get on email waitlist for Doubletap 200 grain hardcast, best 10mm penetration load out there. Should still do 1150 or better fps out of that shorter barrel. Try the Underwood Ammo hardcast also.

Last edited:
Holosun has come along ways in the optics game. 8 years ago, I would have said Holosun is cheap air/ paintball gun Chinese junk. Now most of my dots are Holosun products.
507, 508, 509 are all good choices depending on how much you want to spend. Also mentioned above the higher end priced Sigs are good. The 3XL has been a solid red dot I use on one pistol. Sage Dynamics has great videos on Youtube doing hard core testing on most of the Holosun line. I can save you some money on what ever red dot you choose, just message me

wweaver79, great info on both the Romeo and the bullets. Ive already got the Buffalo Bore Outdoorman bullets but will look into the Doubletaps as well. Have looked at Underwood but did not get any yet. I take it that Doubletaps are your favorite? Fatrooster

Should have added Buffalo Bore. They are all quality loads, Double used to be the most available load up until two years ago or so and were $50 for a box of 50. The Buffalo Bore 220 grain hardcast were about double that. I have shot probably 200 of the Doubletap 10mm hardcast 200s out of my Glock 20 and they never jammed, the most important thing.

I'm not a gun nut and don't know much about gun optics. I've got a Springfield compact elite with 3.8" barrel in 10mm. Wanting to put a red dot sight on it but I don't know which one to get. The gun came with the Hex dragonfly but I'm not happy with the small sized red dot. Looking at Holosun but not sure which one to get. 507c? What are your thoughts on this sight or any others? Gun will be used as bear protection in grizzly country. Hopefully never to be used. Fatrooster.
I’ve got Sig Romeos on a few of my AR’s, no complaints.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom