whitetails on western slope

r270

Just something to give everyone something to post about.give me a good reason why we shouldnt have whitetails on the west slope of colorado? we have a lot of river bottoms that would be a great place for them to hang out. the way the mule deer have been wintering a few whitetail would be nice.

Interesting and good question ~

There is actually no good reason why there should not be whitetails on the Western Slope already, and I would imagine that it is only a matter of time before they will be. I will give it 5 years max.

Their territory typically follows river bottoms and agricultural areas, and as they continue to move into Colorado from the East they have made it all the way up the Arkansas River to Salida with confirmed sightings by the DOW. If they make it over the mountain passes, they will be home free from there...

I would also imagine that we have some coming into the northern part of the State from Wyoming.

Would not be surprised at all if there are a few on the Western Slope already.

Stryker

Your question has already been answered for at least 20 yrs- probably a lot more. They are right here, never dying out never expanding, just hanging out being deer. Train and highway factor into the mortality rate heavily. Had a neighbor take the only huge one I personally know of about 5 years ago- it was a pig at high 170's as I recall with tremendous mass. They don't get hunted much as they are almost 100% private land dwellers and access is pay to play. That big buck went to live in Az on some rich guy's wall.

SQUIRREL where was that buck taken that you were talking about?I have never personally seen one on the western slope.I have lived and hunted here all my life .I have seen many on the eastern side.

I think the whitetails are on thier way. Saw a couple of whitetails this hunting season. They were hanging out along the Conejos River on private land. No high fences either. If they do well in a couple of years more deer to hunt. I know it is not what most people consider the western slope. But if the mid southern part of the state are seeing them, then it is only a matter of time before they spread all over.

There's whitetails in North Park. Whitetails all up and down the river systems in Middle Park. Up the Blue River Valley towards Silverthorne. I saw a whitetail doe along I-70 less than a mile west of Ike tunnel and also a group of does up behind my house at the base of the Gore Range. The Blue Valley Ranch has food plots for them and they really congregate there. Found a 160 class shed near Kremmling out amongst the mule deer sage wintercountry. It seems the topography and heavy vegetation of Gore Canyon has somewhat kept them from spreading down the Colorado River but don't know that for sure. The Yampa river bottoms west of Steamboat would be ideal if they make it over Rabbit Ears country. Like the Squirrel said, 99% of them would be on private so it doesn't mean much other those that have family or money.

r270 if I told you I'ld have to kill you and that wouldn't be very nice... Actually it was about 5 miles upriver from Kremmling on my neighbor's place whom I shall not name so he doesn't get pestered. He chased him the year before and couldn't get him then they started guiding the following year and the Az. hunter got him. I only saw the pic of the deer but it was a hog that was bigger than his gross score would have you believe, super mass and no spread (maybe 18" outside). These w/t stick to the river bottom like glue feeding on the brush, they come on my place now and then, getting one on public land would be tough though always a possibility.

Buckspy how do you know the shed wasn't from a mulie??? Did you get both sides or see the animal?

squirrel, I live in souther colorado and we have some great river bottoms with tons of farm ground on both sides, to me it would be ideal to grow big whitetails. i know that some mulie junkies dont even think whities are even deer but i would love to see them in our neck of the woods, dont know of any sightings down here.

There were whitetails on the eagle river near gypsum 15 yrs ago. i think they were killed off by the dow as i have not seen any for some time. leave them to the plains.

Hey buckman, why leave them to the plains?? I know there has been alot of talk about the pressure they would put on the mule deer but I would like to see a healthy population on our side of the hill

270, you can hunt whitetails in probabally 2/3's of the us. and you can do it very cheap. I hunt whitetails in kansas every year for a $1,000 fee + licenses. I believe that one of the things that make the western slope special is that it is only mule deer. unfortunatley the day is coming when mule deer will not be huntable. especially if it keeps snowing like it has been in the prime areas.
As it already is all of the riverbottoms and valleys where the deer would habitate are private land. could you imagine all of the hunters drawing a coveted western colorado whitetail tag then squalling about the fee that would be required to gain access. or trying to hunt them in one of the many new subdivisions that are already having impacts on mule deer habitat. obviously this is my opinion and i am sure others will see it differently.

I think there must be some internal biological reason for their lack of expansion here in middle park- it certainly isn't hunting pressure as access is severely limited- you not only have to marry their daughter you also must have grandkids to prove you're serious... The mulies and w/t intermingle during the winter range overlap but the ratio never changes to any major degree. (100's of mulies/ single digit w/t) Fawn production is low- usually 1/doe but the condition of the animals is always good- even in a hard winter the w/t seem to have less ribs showing than their counterparts in the muley herd. They do take a pounding year round on Hwy #40 though.

squirrel and buckman you both have great points and there are probally plenty of reasons why they are not here yet. I just look at it as one more chance to get out and chase somthing. I would not like to have them if there was going to be damage to the mulies. but if they could get along I would still like to see them. Just my opinion, and thanks for the comments

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom