Who builds fires to stay warm while waiting for big buck ?

Bannanaclip

Who else builds fires while hunting to warm up ?

20191017_143655.jpg

I have a couple of times in the past when I got caught in snowstorms miles from camp and I was under dressed and wet. Hyperthermia was starting to set in. I definitely have learned to be more prepared now days without the need of a fire. I don't think fires are all that bad and usually won't scare the game animals but I have asthma, so inhaling smoke is not a good thing and I really don't need an asthma attack miles from camp.

I have a couple of times in the past when I got caught in snowstorms miles from camp and I was under dressed and wet. Hyperthermia was starting to set in. I definitely have learned to be more prepared now days without the need of a fire. I don't think fires are all that bad and usually won't scare the game animals but I have asthma, so inhaling smoke is not a good thing and I really don't need an asthma attack miles from camp.
Absolutely , being prepared can and will save you , sometimes it just gets miserable and if you can last it out you just might seal the deal on a great buck.

Want to bet that this guy will have something to sell fairly quickly?
Bannanaclip?
Collard elk?

Hey Bannanaclip, what cartridge did you use for your deer and elk pics that you posted?

Want to bet that this guy will have something to sell fairly quickly?
Bannanaclip?
Collard elk?

Hey Bannanaclip, what cartridge did you use for your deer and elk pics that you posted?
The Elk had a collar on him from the Wa , state game department , yes I did return it , but kept the ear tag 321,

I sure wish I could buy a pair of Swarovski's like your dad used on your elk hunt. Do you know where I could buy a pair?

I build them when I get bored sometimes. Spot I deer hunt the most is pretty un exciting. Sit in one spot and glass like 7 drainages. Fires something to mess with more then keep warm

A8C30ABA-9CCD-4814-8BA6-867193B2FFA3.jpeg

We built one a couple years ago at the end of the morning glass session. It was late Oct. 8000+ and single digits. My sleeping pad had sprung a leak, I was sleeping 15-20 minutes at a time, blow it up, sleep, freeze, then repeat. I was chilled to the bone that morning, that fire was heaven sent, albeit not very big. Glassing is a pain if the wind is a bit inconsistent due to the smoke and the mirage the heat creates. I did pick up a buck that we ended up killing two days later. This is long range glassing, I'm of the opinion that it doesn't effect/affect the deer. I also don't kill 200"rs so maybe I'm all wet. Curious what everyone's opinion is on this.

yes I've lit a fire on a few hunts, nothing big helps heat up the ham and cheese if you do it right.
were were fogged out real bad on our glassing point for several hours so lite it up till the fog burned off so we cold glass.

Our best eastern whitetail hunt occurred when there were lots of brush fires on the surrounding mountains. It was the best cover scent ever! Everything smelled like smoke. Results were 3 nice deer.
But, I've never built a fire to keep warm while hunting. In camp, sure. Although maybe I should reconsider one for cover scent! :)

I can honestly say I've never built a fire while hunting. Probably should have, but just have not taken the time. At camp, yes. And not as big as those fires. Just a small fire to cook and warm. Generally, when I am hunting, I'll just eat cold food, too. Get up early and go, get back late, tired and to bed. Eat something that provides nutrition and calories, but it doesn't have to be hot.

But I don't really have a big wall-tent type camp anymore either.

I've never built one while hunting 'on the mountain'... but once my uncle shot a rabbit, built a fire, cooked it, and ate it for lunch. So, its probably in my blood to do it someday...

Only once, when we were caught in a raging snow blizzard, and we found cover to wait out the worst of it. As dry as the west is right now, I am paranoid about fires that aren't in deep rings though. Think Roosevelt Fire in Wyoming just a few years back. 60,000 acres, 50 cabins, some fine elk and deer country went "poof". Started with some dude's warming fire in upper Hoback...

Absolutely, purely for content and pics for social media. If I was focused purely on hunting I’d be posted up on my glass and not playing Cub Scout bear grylls with the fire starting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom