Who Said Paunsaugunt Was Done?

slamdunk

EDITED POST:
I was misinformed about a buck that was posted saying it was from the Paunsaugunt, but I confirmed it was not.

This buck is?
This unit just doesn't let off steam.
Screenshot_20220830-115444_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting how that second buck died right below those pretty rocks on that nice green flat ground.
And whatever happened to taking regular pictures. These pics nowadays make them look like space aliens with their horns tipped forward like that!

Interesting how that second buck died right below those pretty rocks on that nice green flat ground.
And whatever happened to taking regular pictures. These pics nowadays make them look like space aliens with their horns tipped forward like that!
Who’s telling you it did?

Someone spreading misinformation?
Imagine that!

Also when someone post a pic of a big buck killed on a certain unit it would be nice to know if it was taken on public or private.

Is there any additional info on either one of these bucks?

Imagine that!

Also when someone post a pic of a big buck killed on a certain unit it would be nice to know if it was taken on public or private.

These deer are all over several social media pages.
Both say Paunsaugunt....

Imagine that!

????

This looks like it could be somewhere along Johnson Canyon. Cool!
Those are my thoughts exactly. Some of that private has alfalfa growing right up against the rock ledges.
BTW I believe Travis Roundy is over 10 K for a guided hunt on the Pauns. That is even if you are lucky enough to book him!

Imagine that!

Why does it matter if it was killed on public or private? As long as it was killed legally who gives a $hit. Also who cares if it was guided? (You must care I guess as if it takes away from the hunter if it was guided and on private)

Its a giant deer and a buck of a lifetime!

EVERYONE HUNTS DIFFERENT!!! STFU

I care because I am a public land DIY Hunter. And I also have 26 limited entry Utah deer points.
By the way I never said anything against private land or guided hunters. Maybe you’re the one that should STFU and mind your own business.

This is from 2021 from one of the better known outfitters.

View attachment 85631

After I drew my Pauns muzzy tag this year I made a few calls to guides/outfitters to get prices. I've always gone DIY, but felt like I needed to know what the options/costs are.

The cheapest outfitter I found was $8,500 with the most expensive being $11k. Based on those numbers it was very easy for me to stick with going DIY.

After I drew my Pauns muzzy tag this year I made a few calls to guides/outfitters to get prices. I've always gone DIY, but felt like I needed to know what the options/costs are.

The cheapest outfitter I found was $8,500 with the most expensive being $11k. Based on those numbers it was very easy for me to stick with going DIY.
I bet you are starting to get real excited its September.

I bet you are starting to get real excited its September.
I'm leaving on the 14th and will scout until the opener (9/28). Going to be hard if I find a great buck right when I get there then have to sit around for 10 days before I can hunt him. But to answer your question, yes, it's starting to get real! I rolled my ankle recently and a little worried about how strong/weak it'll be for the hunt.

2022-08-02 21.19.51.jpg

I'm leaving on the 14th and will scout until the opener (9/28). Going to be hard if I find a great buck right when I get there then have to sit around for 10 days before I can hunt him. But to answer your question, yes, it's starting to get real!
Well glad you are able to take the time to do that. Congrats and good luck. Sorry to hear about that ankle. Hopefully you'll be good to go in a couple of weeks.

26 deer points? Sounds like your a public land DIY point buyer, not hunter.
Well it might sound like it to you but I do plenty of hunting. In fact that’s about all I do.
I’m not just buying points I am applying for the hunts.
There are only three LE units in Utah that I would hunt for deer at this point in time.
As a non-resident I finally have enough points to be in the game for a bonus tag.
Do you even know how the Utah draw system works?
If and when I do draw one of those hunts
I definitely won’t be hiring a guide or paying to hunt on private.
Just not my thing right now!

Last edited:
Well it might sound like it to you but I do plenty of hunting. In fact that’s about all I do.
I’m not just buying points I am applying for the hunts.
There are only three LE units in Utah that I would hunt for deer at this point in time.
As a non-resident I finally have enough points to be in the game.
I definitely won’t be hiring a guide or paying to hunt on private.
Just not my thing right now!
We are blessed to have a full time hunter on the board. Please share all your big buck stories.

I'm leaving on the 14th and will scout until the opener (9/28). Going to be hard if I find a great buck right when I get there then have to sit around for 10 days before I can hunt him. But to answer your question, yes, it's starting to get real! I rolled my ankle recently and a little worried about how strong/weak it'll be for the hunt.

View attachment 85682
Man that brings back bad memories… you’re in for a tuff go…. This was last August, I’m still not a 100%…
D530320C-221F-4E43-A1EE-57C26961655A.jpeg
57E2732B-5496-42EF-9FC1-FB8453862A9B.jpeg

Man that brings back bad memories… you’re in for a tuff go…. This was last August, I’m still not a 100%…
View attachment 85706View attachment 85707
That's what I'm worried about. The worst part is I rolled it on my way into a blind on opening day of my NV archery pronghorn hunt and then rolled it again 2 days later. It was bad after the first time, but after the 2nd time it was toast. Bruising and swelling are gone, but it's still really painful if I twist or torque it a certain way. I'm just going to do what I can and hope for the best!

That's what I'm worried about. The worst part is I rolled it on my way into a blind on opening day of my NV archery pronghorn hunt and then rolled it again 2 days later. It was bad after the first time, but after the 2nd time it was toast. Bruising and swelling are gone, but it's still really painful if I twist or torque it a certain way. I'm just going to do what I can and hope for the best!
Oh, you’ll be just fine, for now. Jerk that cinch up another notch and hop up on there.

And, ya probably won’t cuz you youngster are bad ass tough……. but it’s not a bad idea to drop another deposited in your 401K Medical Deductable savings account on your way out of town. Course you still got 15-20 good years left so I guess there’ll be plenty of time for later on. ?

Hope you kill a beast!!! Share some pics when you get back.

Last edited:
Go buy an ankle brace with laces. IT will give you all the support you need, as long as you dont have to hike miles, you should be ok. I used to roll my ankles alot playing basketball. Being 5'9" and jumping high enough to dunk the ball, I seemed to always land on anothers foot. So I got used to wearing those braces. I really do think you will be fine.

Landon

Hope you feel better before your hunt man!

This year down there is great! Good luck!

Don't worry about it. The best way to hunt the unit anyway is to road hunt it. Just hope you have enough money for the $5.00 per gallon gas and a tracker to find it after you shoot it. Better yet turn the tag back in, I'm the next on the list. :)

Rumor is the Pauns has more elk than deer and we’re headed for a crash! :ROFLMAO:

Pauns is in great shape. It’s kicking out giants year after year. I wish I could hunt it again.
I had my tag in 2016, passed a fantastic buck first thing opening morning and ended up killing a cool but not "fantastic" buck on day 8.
Wish I could have another crack at it but at least I've gotten opportunities every year to go help others.
I'll be there again in October ?

Rumor is the Pauns has more elk than deer and we’re headed for a crash! :ROFLMAO:

Pauns is in great shape. It’s kicking out giants year after year. I wish I could hunt it again.
I was there with a buddy in 1996 helping him on his archery hunt. The hunt then was insane! I've heard it's damn good right now, but not quite at the level of what it was in 1996. Either way it should be a great hunt. Seeing 30 to 50 bucks a day is always a good thing!!

View attachment 85682
I would get into PT and get some exercises to help prepare for your hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom