Who's dad still makes it out in October ?

My dad went on a pack trip this past fall at 82. He had a rough time with his back acting up. We had a great time nonetheless, but it was a tough pack out - I was choking up when we broke camp knowing him and I would not be back together in this camp and hunting basin of 44 years.
He told me his time was over for this amazing hunt.
The good news he still loves to hunt and can do a late season cow hunt which he killed a nice yearling this past December.

My dad is 85 and he still loves to go. He has taken many big bucks,bulls,antelope,sheep,goats you name it. He likes to go up in the mountains and look around at all the things the great creator made for us. I am blessed to have all the memories and stories to share with family.

You younger guys need to cherish those moments with your older parents. It's great some of them can still actively hunt into their 80s. I wish I could do the same. The really sad part: I have a free lifetime pioneer hunt/fish license. :(

Last edited:
Sadly my dad is no longer with me, but at 79 my father in law is still killing some dandies!

Grans buck.jpg

I was fortunate to be able to hunt with my father into his 80’s. He killed deer and elk yearly into his 70’s, and only because of failing eye sight did his success slow down. On his 70th birthday he killed a 6 point bull, and when he was 80, almost blind, he killed a really nice 4 point buck in the Book Cliffs accompanied by his sons and grandkids. My most precious memories are times I have spent in the outdoors with him. The goin’ was always more important than the gettin’, although the gettin’ was pretty good. In his 80’s, he still wanted to saddle up and go for a ride. He died about 5 years ago, and right up until the end I’d pick him up and go for a ride in the truck through the mountains that he loved and reminisce. I was blessed. BacDoc

My father passed away last year at 80 yrs old. He was a hunting fool and new more about guns and reloading then anybody I know. I shared many many hunting trips with him. He was so sick in Oct of 2020 but still wanted to go out for ride during the deer hunt. We carried him into the truck and drove around out to Indian peaks and mtn home for the day. He passed away 2 weeks later. I miss the hell out of him.

Dad hunted with me last year at 74. Says he’s hanging it up because he just can’t get into the areas anymore that he likes to hunt….we’ll see though…he hd heart problems a few years back on an elk hunt 5 miles in…he swore up and down that was his last hunt but he’s hunted every year since. Stubborn old man! The mountain will probably take his life because he won’t give in…says he will…but I know my old man…he ain’t a quitter!
His 2020 bull, 380+ yrds with his first big game rifle from the early 60’s.

41B400EE-9F9E-4539-B71A-230E87267830.jpeg

I ain't there yet age wise but that funny punk son of mine has a knack for ribbing his pa any chance he gets. This post being one of giving him an excuse to prod me. I had one hunt in my life with my dad and that was my very first big game hunt for whitetails on 1986. Loaded the buck up into the trunk of a 78 Ford Grenada that he drove across the chisel plowed Iowa corn field. December 6, 1986. My 16th birthday. Had enough time after the hunt for my mom to drive me to the Sheldon, IA DMV for my driver's license. Amazing day. After Korea my dad never had a desire to pick up another firearm.

On the other side of it, in 2020 I was able to hunt with my sons in 5 states and killed a mule deer, whitetail, elk and a pig with there help. Last year at 70, I had no tags, but was able to hunt with them in 4 states for antelope, mule deer, elk, and Ibex. Fortunately they put up with me. Like I said before, it’s not the gettin’ it’s the goin’. Hopefully I’ve got a few more hunts in me.

This is the kind of post I’ve always enjoyed on Monstermuleys, Sharing positive experiences. The post on the elk forum asking for hunt advice turned into the kind of post the is ruining this site. I don’t post much about my family’s hunts, because I don’t want to get tore apart, and I’m a tech idiot. Thanks for those who stay positive, and aren’t afraid to share successes.?

My dad will be 100 in August. I had him out in a blind with a heater until he was 95. Since then we just bring him to elk camp for a day. Here he is at Xmas 2 months after he caught Covid. He is tough. Serviced in WW2 and Vietnam in the navy.

View attachment 69175
Whole different caliber of man right there.
Just dont make them like that anymore.
God Bless Him.

This is a great thread and topic, I don’t hunt With my father, other than annual coastal Mexico dove and bobbed tail trip, but Here is a father/son combo who epitomizes the greatness that is public land hunting and are the perfect ambassadors and representatives of the hunting way of life.

1F72E895-2BD0-4C85-94A4-C48787D5AB31.jpeg

This is a great thread and topic, I don’t hunt With my father, other than annual coastal Mexico dove and bobbed tail trip, but Here is a father/son combo who epitomizes the greatness that is public land hunting and are the perfect ambassadors and representatives of the hunting way of life.

View attachment 69441
I don’t get the joke. Who is that?

My dad is with me watching from above on every hunt. He was my best friend and the best hunting partner. He was taken from us in 2017 in a freak accident helping a neighbor cut a tree down at the age of 56. I think about him EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE! I would give every single thing I have to get 10 more minutes with him. Enjoy every minute you have with your loved ones. You just never know when your number will be called.

My dad is with me watching from above on every hunt. He was my best friend and the best hunting partner. He was taken from us in 2017 in a freak accident helping a neighbor cut a tree down at the age of 56. I think about him EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE! I would give every single thing I have to get 10 more minutes with him. Enjoy every minute you have with your loved ones. You just never know when your number will be called.

The sling on my rifle was dad's. Just so he's with me on hunts.

Lost mine at 54, 21 years ago.

Your post brought a tear, but now I'll spend the day in memory land♥️

My father took my two brothers and I on a really great late season hunt ten years ago when he was 84yo. During that hunt many memories happened as he watched his 3boys all harvest good bucks.
On the last and final evening he had a special treat for his boys unbeknownst to us. He had made a statement about this being his last big game hunt, as it was just too tough to get back deep into the wild.
He had placed all of his firearms around a tree behind camp and asked each of us to go pick our favorite and place in your vehicles. It was fitting end to his hunting career for him, not so much for his sons, as he was always the camp leader.
I still hunt with his mod70/270 annually, and I like to think his spirit follows me as I walk the backcountry.
He passed seven years ago, and I'd do anything to spend just another ten minutes with him, he was truly a great man.

My dad had several hobbies, most notably fishing, metal detecting, & woodworking. He hunted, but it was no where near the top of his list, especially after I was born. He stopped hunting when I was 16 and I could drive myself. I never saw him shoot a deer, but I am beyond grateful he stuck it out long enough for me to get my feet wet.

I shot my first deer when I was 14. I had never seen anyone gut a deer and it had been so long that my dad had forgotten how. My dad chuckled as he sat there attempting to talk me through it. I'll never forget that gut job!

My dad died a few days after we put in for hunts when I was 11. It was my first year hunting, and I was lucky to have some guys that still helped get me outdoors. 14 years later, I’m hopelessly addicted, and hunt way more than anyone in my family ever did. I just wish I had him with me to experience some of the awesome trips I’ve been on and the places I’ve been to. Don’t ever take them for granted, and enjoy every hunt with them like it may be the last.

Yep!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom