Why 5 year wait?

ElkManDan

How and Why did they come up with a 5 year waiting period for LE elk.

Since I drew my LE elk tag last year I'll be forced to put in for LE deer for the next 5 years, decreasing the odds for the guys who really want to draw that coveted LE deer tag, when I'd rather be putting in for another LE elk tag.

Why is it only 2 years wait for Deer? There are way less LE deer tags per applicant than LE elk tags per applicant. It seems that this forces more people into the Deer pool making odds worse for deer.

We all get to put in for one or the other (unless you get lucky and draw a deer tag within the 5 year waiting period from drawing elk tag). Why not just let us choose which species we want to put in for with no waiting period or at least a shorter waiting period for elk.

I'm sure some Deer guys feel the same way as I do. There would probably be less people in the deer draw completing for what few LE deer tags are given out.

Let me hear what you guys think. Are there some pro's or con's that I am missing?? How do you think it would change the # of people putting in for elk or deer?

Knowing the way things work I'll probably get lucky and draw a Henry's deer tag during my waiting period.... I'll almost feel bad taking the tag knowing some die hard deer hunter has been trying to draw the tag for 18 years.

Since as a NR, when I get an elk tag, it will be a OIL tag, doesn't really affect me, but just count your blessings that they don't allow you to apply for a tag for multiple species like they do us. I end up applying for a Henry's deer tag ever year because that is the one tag I would not mind giving up an elk tag for. But that screws up the guys odds who really want a Henry's tag.

In other words, they lead us to water, but they won't let us drink, because even though we can apply to multiple species, we can only draw one tag, so if I got pulled for a deer tag (which comes first in the draw), I am removed from a chance at an elk tag.

I think for both res and NR, they should allow us to apply for only one tag, but allow us to apply for points in the other species. That way, they still get their money, we get points in another species for the future, and our odds of drawing the tag we put in for are MUCH better. My odds for elk were more than cut in half when they made the switch.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The back log for elk is bad enough let alone if a guy could put in every year without having to wait after they draw! I can not put in untill 2016 and am happy with that as long as everyone else that draws a tag since 2010 is out of the pool to give me a shot of getting ahead of the ones that drew after me when I can start putting in again.

You dont have to put in for deer durring the 5 year wait if you're not interested in a buck. You can always put in for an antelope tag??

5 year wait is OK, but if I had my way, waiting periods should be equal to the odds to draw the tag. If you draw San Juan elk, the waiting period should be 200 years, lol. If you draw N. Cache elk, waiting period would be until next fall! It's not quite that bad, but you get the point.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-14 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]Todd...the forces are called "bonus point addiction". Many people have it, myself included. Take an average hunt, set up a point system, and BAM! the forces go to work. Evidence of it is clear...look back 4-6 years ago when they changed the restriction on NR hunters = 300% increase in applications.

Case study. I know someone that has 21 Elk points, yet refuses to apply for a tag. I think he gets more joy out of having "Max" points than he would hunting down a 400" bull with BTO!

Dan - You're a little luckier than me as you are still young enough that you may draw again in your lifetime. For me (almost 60) UT will never see another dime from me since I have to wait 5 yrs, then another 10-15 to draw an OK tag. I understand they want to make it more fair for those that haven't drawn but in the meantime, they may not realize with demographics the way they are, they are passing on a good souce of income. If they allowed me to apply but not draw for 5 years, I'd likely do that and they'd have a free 5-yr income stream without impacting others odds (until they are eligible). So from a UT tax revenue standpoint seems like the State is making a poor financial decision.

GEEZUS!

That'd be a Good Problem to finally have!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Wish I had the problem of waiting five years. I just have 20 points. JUST KIDDING. My time is coming SOON!!!

>I just want to know who
>those SOBs are that are
>'forcing' you to put in
>for deer thus decreasing my
>chances...I'll have words with them.
> Who are they???
>
>Todd Black
>
>Visit our YouTube page
>http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

It's the DWR, that forces me to decrease your odds. It would be a shame for me not to put in for a great deer tag when I have no other good choices.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against waiting periods. It just seems odd to me the way the system is set up with only allowing us (residents) to put in for one or the other but the waiting periods are different (sorry Antelope guys, I don't even consider them to be in the same class as deer and elk).

I like the way the system is set up that you have to choose one or the other, thus making it easier to draw the species that you really want to go after on a LE tag. I feel bad for the non residents with their odds since they allowed them all to put in for all species.

I'd honestly rather see the waiting period be equal for both Deer and elk. Or have the waiting period apply for all LE species not just the one you drew (no more than 2 years)

Just doesn't make sense to me that the waiting period for elk is 5 years with an overall applicant to tag rate of 15 to 1 and a 2 year wait period deer with a overall applicant tag rate of 27 to 1.

How come it is always a person complaining about this after they draw a tag? Its a great idea when your the one waiting for a tag but complete opposite when you can't apply for 5 years. You won't get any sympathy for me because I would love to be on a waiting period for elk. Guess why? Cause I finally got to hunt!

Ok, maybe it sounded like complaining but really I want to understand how they came up with the waiting periods they did. It is harder to get a LE deer tag but the waiting period is only 2 years. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Also at some point anyone who hasn't drawn an elk tag it is their choice. There are many good elk tags out there that don't take 20 years to draw. Maybe it is because they don't want to start the dreaded 5 year waiting period.

I don't think it's harder to draw a deer tag. I drew a rifle books tag that took ten years to draw. I don't know of a decent elk unit you can draw a rifle elk tag with 10 points. Maybe some good archery and muzz but not rifle.

Look I know it sucks to be out of the game for 5 years specially when I would rather hunt some of the general season deer then most of the le deer units but there is a reason they do it. I'm sure it's not just to piss us off. Hopefully it's to give us all a fair opportunity.

It's an effort to spread the limited hunting tags around a little more, logic being, if you've recently drawn a tag for a species, set out for a bit an let someone that hasn't had a tag for a few years or longer have a turn. There are more deer than elk so they ask (make) you wait longer for elk than deer. With sheep, moose, bison, goats, where there are so few to go around, you get a very long resting period if you draw one of those tags, you get to go, like, never again.

I trust some want to get back in the fray immediately, but...........like your Momma used to say................give your brother a bite, damn it!

DC

From an old guy's perspective, I think the difference in waiting period between elk and deer, came about when the demand for LE Elk was much stronger than LE Deer. (back when guys still had a chance at a good buck in open units) Since that time Elk numbers exploded and deer numbers have declined, but the waiting periods have stayed the same.
Realistically most LE hunts are OIAL anyway, so if you still want a chance at another Elk hunt, stick out your 5 years and hope to get lucky!

Yeah, no doubt I'll get another LE elk tag, LE archery tags aren't too hard to get. I should get another one in say 10 years. Hopefully I'll draw a few more times in my life. I guess in the mean time I'll hunt some of the other states. I think it must have been like you said in the beginning there was a lot higher demand for LE elk tags than LE deer tags.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom