Will I lose my bonus points?

gundog2

I am nonresident with 10 points for desert bighorn. I applied for DBS this year, but I requested refund because I can't really justify buying license just to earn points. I did not apply last year, so I wonder if I lose points this year? Will they give me benefit of having DBS points, in 2015 draw, even if I am not earning points? I could not find firm answer for either of these questions in the application book.

Actually, I should say that I did not request to purchase license so I will not earn bonus points. So does my application allow me to save and possibly even use bonus points that I already have, even if I do not purchase license.

Interesting question! But I think you only lose your points if you don't apply at all for two cosecutive years.

Rules that I found say that points are lost if you fail to apply for the species fir two consecutive years. I did apply for the species, but I did not pay for license required to earn points.

I have no idea if I still benefit from the 10 points that I already earned, but I can say that I already paid a hefty price for those points.

Yes, you will still benefit from the points you already earned.
Even if you put in for years to come and do not buy a point, you will use those points as long as you do not miss the draw for two years in a row.

Yes you will keep them. They square your points and add one to figure the number of chances you get in the drawing. It's more like losing ground to the pack when you don't add the one each year as most buy the point rather than improving your chances if you buy... If that makes sense. The total of random numbers in the draw goes up each year, so your 101 is not what it used to be.

Thanks for the replies, I hope you guys are right. I burned 9 or 10 deer points on a late season hunt (unit 12) back in 2013, so the only think I have left now are sheep points (California and Desert). Maybe I start building points again in future, but I have been in tight spot the last couple years.

I have been sitting on 2 points for deer for over 5 years now. I put in every year for a deer hunt, but have not bought the bonus point for the past 5 years. It still shows that I have 2 points.

>Dont think they square pts for
>any species except deer....
>
>
>
>NRA
>USW #5282

Yes they do, then take the lowest number of all those and that is your order in the draw. For all species.

Deerlove, I put in for multiple states, and decided that nevada would be one state, that I would like to draw, but not worth buying the point every year. I cannot afford the $1,300 elk tag, so I only put in for deer in Nevada. Where in Arizona, I put in for deer and elk. I decided to stick with AZ for now buying the bonus point. When my kids got old enough to put in, I felt guilty if I bought me a point and not them. 3 kids plus myself for Nevada at $142 just got to much. Kids get bonus points for around $10 in AZ. I have hunted Nevada twice in my life, and would like to hunt it again, but will have to defy the odds, or hunt archery to do it.

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation. If you can find a unit you can draw with little or few pts, it's a good option.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom