Willard Peak nanny goat - the hard way

llamapacker

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-10 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]My wife and I finally got around to her nanny goat hunt on Willard Peak. She shot a monster nanny with horns of 9 7/8". The retrieval was quite an adventure, and I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I am very proud of my wife, Gail, for her efforts during this hunt and recovery. Many men would have backed out and looked for an easier goat. Not her, she remained focused and we had a great hunt.

This photo is taken not far from Inspiration Peak, and shows the beginning of the cliffs, below some more mild country up above.
2653img_378060001.jpg

Climbing down to the goat had some really rough sections, that took a long time to navigate safely.
1657img_37910001.jpg

Some sections were less scary, but still required some careful crawling and sliding along. It is over 50' down from the edge of the cliff on the left of the photo.
5192img_37850001.jpg

Gail on her way down one of the easier sections, although still plenty steep. Notice the blood on the rocks in the foreground from the goats tumble down the mountain.
357img_38080001.jpg

Making her way down the last stretch to the goat.
9009img_38110001.jpg

Very happy to have finally reached her goat. What a fantastic trophy!

1136img_38210001.jpg

Another photo with the happy huntress and showing the great horn horn length. Did anybody notice it is steep in the background?!*!

6781img_38250001.jpg

We still have to get back up, however, and it would take us several hours. Gail is carrying some of the meat, while I had the full skin and the remainder of the meat. Heavy loads for both of us.
3208img_38410001.jpg

One of my favorite photos. Quite a few times I had to lift my pack over my head, set it on the ledges up above, and then free climb up the ledge. It was too steep and dangerous to keep the pack on for these short ascents. Most of those ledges were only 5-6' up, but pretty nerve racking for both of us.
9464img_38590001.jpg

Resting on one of the ledges. The smile is now gone, replaced with grim determination. You can see the Great Salt Lake and I-15 in the background. Lake elevation is about 4800', and we are around 9200' when this photo was taken.
9258img_38620001.jpg

Almost out of the cliffs, the hard part is over.
6021img_38690001.jpg

Fully loaded, my pack was 84 pounds on the scale when we got home. Not a terrible load, but plenty for me in this type of terrain.
6459img_38740001.jpg

This was my hardest pack of the year, at least technically. I posted earlier about my solo MT Mountain goat, which was deep in the wilderness, and a terrific hunt in its own right. This hunt with my wife is special, however. She is a great, dedicated hunter, but generally enjoys more relaxing hunts. She performed above any reasoanble expectations on this hunt, and still can't quite believe she did it. We will mount both goats lifesize as a fitting reminder of these hunts. Not all Willard Peak goats come off the easy way. We had a great hunt.

Bill

Congrats to both of you! I too killed a goat this year and know exactly how difficult that terrain is. Your wife is a trooper for sure.

Congrats on a great trophey and a hunt you will remember for the rest of your life. Goats aree one animal that you always have to look at the retreival before the shot!!! Way to get the job done!!!

i seem to remember a group of guys that had to be life flighted off willard peak a few years ago. maybe you and the wife need to give them few lessons in rock climbing and mental toughness

I won't be showing this post to my wife. She has enough points to draw next year (probably). That's an awesome adventure and her goat puts my billy to shame! LOL. It's a huge beautiful trophy for sure.

Best to you and congrats

Zeke

Bill, I read your solo Montana Goat hunt story but assumed you lived in Montana, great story. You two have a had a great year.

Tell your wife congrats on taking a great goat and congrats to you for helping to getter done. A very small percentage of people living within view of our peaks along the Wasatch front will ever experiance getting up in that country, not to mention taking the goat. What a tough hunt in beautiful country. Those pictures make me homesick for the elevation.

I love chasing them things around through the granite and have been lucky enough to have been involved with a number of goat hunts including several hunts with close friends as well as with one of my sons the year he turned 16. Now my wife has enough points that she could have her tag in 2011.

Thanks for sharing your hunts and photos.

Congrats on a nice goat. My dad shot his on the trail this year and I shot mine at a lower elevation. I wouldn't even consider going where you went. Your crazy.

Wonderful pics and post. Looking forward to when my number comes up for this hunt! Thank your for sharing!

There are not enough deer in Utah...FOR REAL.

Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed the pictures. We had a great hunt and truly earned this goat. I just got back from a WY elk hunt and want to answer a few of the PM's and e-mails I have recieved here for everyone.

While the pictures tell the story pretty well, it is worth noting that we went to some effort to retrieve this goat safely. At what some would call advanced middle age, I try not to get too crazy. (Besides, I am afraid of heights - honest!) The biggest danger in this country was from dislodging loose rocks, and we quickly established a pattern where only one of us would move at a time. I would climp 50-75 yards, and find an acceptable route. Then I would wait until Gail climped up and joined me, before we repeated the process. Rocks up to the size of basketballs careening down the mountain are a real and constant hazard.

The uncertain footing from loose rocks was always a risk, but generally not that much different than hiking through normal elk country. Sure, it would have been easy to stumble and fall in the rocks, but the risk was mainly of getting bruised or twisting an ankle, not falling over a cliff. We searched hard for a route that did not require serious free climbing. We had a number of spots that required climbs of 4 to 6 feet up on to a ledge, and we helped each other and took great care on these ascents. While a fall of 4 or 5 feet is certain to hurt, again, it isn't at least immedately life threatening.

Yes, there was some real danger encountered on this type of climb. But with proper respect for the terrain, we mitigated most of the danger and took our time to carefully plan our route. We spent most of the day on the retrieval, simply to ensure we took the safest route possible. My biggest mistake was not marking our route during the descent, as I made one mistake on the way back up, and got myself briefly on a ledge where I was uncomfortable either ascending or descending. Knowing the proper route is essential, and the terrain often looks very different once you descend off a ledge.

I truly enjoy hunting in the high country, whether it is for sheep, goats or even elk and deer. The mountains can reach out and bite you at just about any moment, but a little respect and common sense will keep you quite safe if you use your head. Hunt safely and don't take unnecesary risks, but don't live your life in the artificial cacoon of modern society, either. Hunt smart, and have a good time.

Bill

Way to go you 2!

That area down there still makes my stomach quizzie!

Do not look down for sure!

congrats

Robb

WOWWW!!! There is no way you'd get me down that stuff; props to both of you for tackling that terrain. Robb, I think you meant 'quibble'. At least that's how my stomach went lookin' at the pics.

What a great story-congrats to both of you for a hard won and beautiful trophy!

Pred

OMH you have got to tell me how to take a good picture on the steep stuff. All my photos of the steep stuff always look flat.

I almost got sick looking at those photos.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

Incredible photo's! Beautiful goat! What more can I say than Congratulations on one heck of an experience! Thank you for sharing!

Chad

You got my respect! You've got the "HARDCORE AWARD" in my book for sure.

What amazing hunting conditions. For all those MT. Goater's my hat is tipped for sure. What tough country.

Midnight

I missed this one the first time around but congrats on a great hunt! You and the wife did an excellent job!
Great pictures and goat.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom