Wolverines in Utah

t_boneking

The video quality isn’t great but these two critters ran past my parents cabin this summer up by Oakley. What do you think they are?

Attachments

• RingVideo_20230719_093440.MOV
    3.1 MB
  • RingVideo_20230719_093440.MOV
    3.1 MB
Hey, that is cool. I have only seen a couple wolverines in the wild and when I saw that first one run out, I was going to say it looked more like a bobcat (because it’s tail was up and it’s gate looked a little like a bobcat but I changed my mind after seeing the second one……….. That one definitely looked like a wolverine to me, so I would assume they both are.

Kind of fun to see them in Utah. Thanks for posting those.

Last edited:
Hey, that is cool. I have only seen a couple wolverines in the wild and when I saw that first one run out, I was going to say it looked more like a bobcat (because it’s tail was up and it’s gate looked a little like a bobcat but I changed my mind after seeing second on………. That definitely looked like a wolverine to me, so I would assume they both are.

Kind of fun to see them in Utah. Thanks for posting those.
I would assume that they both are too. I just wish the first one wasn’t as blurry. The second one is much clearer.

They have been over this way (Rich County). I’d tell you I saw one last fall but you would not believe me. I wouldn’t 😂

first one looks like a cocker spaniel (I'm sure it's not) but the second one I would say is a wolverine. I've only seen one in the wild and that was in Alaska. I don't know of any other animals that have that bouncy gait.

Hmmmm. I saw one once. Shot it. It looked a lot like that, but lighter color.

Whistle pig maybe? We have real dark ones and they do goofy stuff.
Whistle pig…….. I hadn’t thought about that……. You could be right blue.

Do you think they are both the same species cuz that first one has its tail up and I don’t ever recall seeing a marmot with its tail up like that.

Hmmmm. I saw one once. Shot it. It looked a lot like that, but lighter color.

Whistle pig maybe? We have real dark ones and they do goofy stuff.
If they are whistle pigs, they appear to be really big ones... Video could make them appear bigger that they are also...

Whistle pig…….. I hadn’t thought about that……. You could be right blue.

Do you think they are both the same species cuz that first one has its tail up and I don’t ever recall seeing a marmot with its tail up like that.
I’ve seen aquatic rodents like marmots twirl their tails around. I don’t think I have a picture of one doing it though. I will remedy that this summer.

It could be a big marmot or a small wolverine. It’s a coin toss for me, but the odds favor whistle pig.

Apologies for the Big Lebowski reference. You have to take the shot when it presents 🙃

You can find information about wolverines and other weasels on the UDWR website Discover>Learn-more-about-Utahs-wildlife>Utah-species>Animals>Vertebrates >Mammals>Carnivores>Weasels

Supposedly only 24 known occurrences of wolverines an 17 are considered “historical”. They do say recent evidence suggest wolverines are still present in parts of the Wasatch and Uinta mountains.

I would suggest to share these videos with biologists at the UDWR.

Apologies for the Big Lebowski reference. You have to take the shot when it presents 🙃
No apologies needed or expected………. It’s never the message that offends, it’s always the messenger……. If you get my drift.

That first animal was making me think somebody's scotty dog...until the second one came out. That second one is a wolverine, no doubt in my mind.

A wolverine came passed a waterhole I was hunting near the Hardware Ranch in the 80’s. I stopped into the Ranch and told the DWR employees about it. They told me it was probably a badger. SMDH I said whatever.
A couple of weeks later a DWR employee saw one up there and it made the news.

I did some quick research and there are pictures of wolverines with their tales up. I have submitted the video to the local biologist. They went and inspected the are the next day. They weren’t able to find anything. He did tell me there was a wolverine spotted in Oakley a few years back.

IMG_3247.jpeg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom