Wyoming 38 Type 9, Archery Elk

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Hey Guys
I drew the tag, YES.
Wyoming Unit 38 type 9, archery.
I lived in Sheridan for a bit, and have relatives in the area that are non hunters.
Looking over maps, and talking to other hunters I have a good idea where I am going to look.
I plan to scout 4 days in mid august then hunt the last 14 days of the hunt.

I would LOVE to hear from anyone that has hunter the unit or is familiar with it. Just to help save some time.

IM me, or whatever you would like.
Thanks in advance, and I would be thrilled to help you with:
Idaho, Utah, Deer, Elk, Sheep, etc.

Mike

I've hunted that area several times. Bull elk park is good as well as long draw..I think that's what it's called. Lots of good elk but pretty call shy.

If it snows much be prepared for the elk to completely move out of the unit...plan accordingly!

>If it snows much be prepared
>for the elk to completely
>move out of the unit...plan
>accordingly!

That's not very likely to happen in September. The early storms that dropped a lot of snow last year were a once in many decades event.

Tons of elk. Just go to bald mtn. Glass them up. Go kill one.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

The same thing happened a few years ago when I was moose hunting up there. I know another guy and his wife that had the tag a couple years ago that said the same thing happened in 38 and it didn't snow much. Just be ready for feast or famine if it snows or hunting pressure pushes them out! You might consider going a little earlier rather than later in Sept!

Bingo on the snow. Can be very warm then all of a sudden drop 2 feet over night. Happens once every few years. But can melt over the next day. its like a mountain range winter. It can change in seconds.

But the unit holds lots of elk. Honestly get off the road. Since that area has a billion roads everyone seems to road hunt. Get off the road and hunt away. I wouldn't expect a bull over 350. While bowhunting I would expect a spike to 320 class bulls. Don't get me wrong some nice bulls are around but not around every corner. I went bowhunting with a friend years ago and we seen hundreds of elk. 98% of the bulls were 280 class. Since the big horns doesn't have grizzlies and wolves yet they can be very talkative to whereas areas like North Fork/south fork/sunlight/Crandall can be very very very very quiet.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom