wyoming Region H

bene12

I drew the wyoming Region H tag. How bad is the hunting pressure in this region? If its bad, does it lessen up later in the season? I am planning on getting into the back country for an extended period of time. Does anyone have any advice good and bad on the region? I've talked to a number of people and I am gather as much info as I can, Im still not sure where I want to start my hunt, any advice would be welcomed greatly.

Thanks
Mark

Being alot of it is backcountry you'd think its not that pressured. I bet that single unit has disproportially the highest amount of pressure for any backcountry unit in any state. Anywhere where you are hugging the G boarder will be croweded. But then again, them's big mountains and big country, with some nosen around and hard work you may find what you're looking for.

After the first few days,the pressure backs way off.Lots of pressure early on,though.Like Forky says-"them's big mtns".I'm betting you find a big boy if you wade through and wait out the crowds!

I guess i'll make my yearly post about our region "H" hunt a few years ago. My pard and i got a horseback ride up to 10,000ft where we set up all our own camping gear and settled in for a 3 week hunt. We got there 3 days before the opener and it took some getting used to the altitude, at least for me, and we scouted every morning and evening for shooter bucks. Come opening day, i saw a couple non-shooter bucks and several other hunters, some a horseback, some a foot.

Making a move from my daylight glassing location and taking a break from the move, i noticed a deer moving way up on a green patch on a very steep and rugged slide area. Through my glasses i could see that he was a young 4X4 with antlers well inside his ears, a non-shooter for sure. I ranged that little buck at 360 yds and then watched him thru my scope. As i was proned out steadying my cross hairs and hypothetically figuring where i'd have to hold for the shot, a much nicer shooter buck stepped out in the open right behind him. I only had to move the crosshairs up a bit and took the shot nailing the nice 28" buck. My tag filled.

My Pard continued to hunt hard for over two more weeks. He saw bucks every day but most were younger and not up to his standards. After passing on maybe a couple dozen bucks, he took a nice youngster that though big of body, was small and twisted of rack. Nontypical above is correct. There was far more hunters on that mountain-ridge the opening weekend than any other time. It took near a full week for the deer to come out and feed the evenings. After i shot my buck opening day it seemed as if hunters appeared from everywhere!!!

We had us a great time and i'd recommend those that have wanted to do that kind of hunt, do it. It's very rugged country. My health has failed me big time, i figure that i'm about done. I'm glad though that i was able to make that trip. That high, rugged country, my long-time best hunting partner, plenty to eat, and a nice camp. A man could not require much more in the hunting world that that.

A couple pic's! Been on here before but for the newer guys...

4600rich_&_my_buck_head_in_camp.jpg

842head_shot_wyoming.jpg

Joey

I have hunted G and H several times. I hunted a northern section of H last year. Seen several shooters on scouting trips. I also did not see any people. Come season was a different story. We were 6 miles in and seen around 7 hunters a day. I still seen several deer but no shooters. I left after 6 days and wanted to go back up the last week but was never able to get back up there.

I will admit that I was disappointed to say the least. Most of the basins had people in them. Horses and on foot. Its pretty country but was way more crowded than I desired.

Im planning on staying two weeks. I've been working out like a madman, still need a few more weeks before Im ready physically. I have been tossing up the idea of renting a pack horse for the trip. What do you think? I still do not know where to start. One person mentioned the Snake River range. Do you know anything about it?

Im trying to get up there to scout, Im building a house for my family and money is a bit tight, Im trying to save up mainly for the hunt. I will be up there 4 days in advance to scout. Not looking for anyone's honey holes to hunt I am still working on a good area to concentrait my hunt in. Do you know anything about the snake river range?

There are deer all over the unit. I would wait until the last week of season to hunt you will have the mtns to yourself.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom