Wyoming Unit 114 - HELP

deadI

Very Active Member
Okay guys. My dad just bought my brother one of the left over tags for Wyoming unit 114 for Antelope. We have never set foot in the unit. (I know shame on us) He is planning on taking the family up for a vacation and figured a hunt is as good as a vacation as it gets. He is wondering what the unit is like as far as animals (number and quality) and also is there decent access or is it allot of private property. He might not get a chance to go up scouting so it will probably be a "go in blind hunt" So if any of you are feeling generous and would like to give out a few tips we would be grateful. Thanks.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

What type of tag did he buy? I think there were a few type 2 tags left and possibly type 6??? Both are restricted to private lands or state trust lands. Lots of BLM property in the area and I think there is a walk-in area outside of Worland. When I was in the area a couple years ago (not lope hunting)I saw several really nice bucks. The numbers of animals is less than in the Casper area but there were plenty around. If he has a type 2 or 6 tag he will have to find private property or state trust lands.

Yep, he bought a type 2 license that is very restrictive and he is in a world of hurt to use that tag in 114! We discussed that fact when you sent me a PM a couple weeks ago! See my post on the same question you asked in the General Forum and I'll try to help as best I can, but it ain't going to be easy!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]deadI---Received and sent back! Give me a call in the next few nights (around 9PM Eastern-my time please)and we'll see what we can work out if you want to try it!

To nripepi-----Have you ever set foot in that unit? If you are just looking at that map and are not familiar with the unit by being on the ground out there like I've been a number of times, then I would not tell a person what you just did! If you can give me a tip on finding those unmarked state lands without doing what I mentioned in my post on the General Forum, please send me a PM or tell me out on the Forum! He will have one heck of a time staying legal unless the tag is good for private property that he can gain access to for a fee. The tags were never even listed in the pamphlet or on the website during the initial application period, so right now there is nothing in writing as to where the tag is valid, but I can tell you it isn't good for BLM lands! Also, there are only 3 small pieces of walkin land over south of the Worland airport and they are open agricultural fields with the biggest only being 460 acres. That's so small you can almost shoot an animal all the way across them! If the tags were any good, they would have been snapped up in the draw!!!

>Okay guys. My dad just
>bought my brother one of
>the left over tags for
>Wyoming unit 114 for Antelope.
> We have never set
>foot in the unit. (I
>know shame on us) He
>is planning on taking the
>family up for a vacation
>and figured a hunt is
>as good as a vacation
>as it gets. He
>is wondering what the unit
>is like as far as
>animals (number and quality) and
>also is there decent access
>or is it allot of
>private property. He might
>not get a chance to
>go up scouting so it
>will probably be a "go
>in blind hunt" So
>if any of you are
>feeling generous and would like
>to give out a few
>tips we would be grateful.
> Thanks.
>
>DeadI/Jared
>
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Dead Eye,

Send me an email and I'll send you some info.

RJK

PM sent. I still think it sounds like fun to me, especially if you have the tag and can't turn it back in.

The State lands are commingled with the BLM, which he is perfectly legal to use as access to the State land sections where his tag is valid. A gps with land ownership chip is all he needs.
Well, that and cooperating Antelope.

We aren't arguing the fact that the square mile state land sections aren't legally accessible. It's the fact that you need what we are talking about to be sure you are on them and that the antelope are too. I know for a fact from hunting and scouting the unit over the years that a good share of those sections would take 1/2 day or more to walk in to and many are in areas where it is moonscape and doesn't hold a mouse. That's exactly why the locals call the area "The Badlands" and there are only 50 Type 1 buck tags issued for the entire huge unit because they are not in the biggest percentage of said unit and would be shot out because they are in certain small areas down south. That is also why so many have migrated west over around Worland into private property near the river because of lack of water and feed in most of the unit.

Thanks for all the replys, messages and tips. He has gotten permision from a few of the land owners to hunt on there property so it looks like things should work out. And if it doesn't that they are not to far from Yellowstone and will continue the vacation over there. Thanks again.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Jared---Glad you will at least be able to fill the tag in that ag land by Worland. I would highly recommend that you at least take a day or two and drive up to Cody, which is an hour east of Yellowstone. It is a cool town and you can spend two days alone for a $15 ticket just in the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum there. The gun part of the building alone will take you a good part of a day, so don't miss out on that. Have fun and be safe---MIKE

Thanks Mike. I will let them know. I will let you know how they do as well. I unfortunatly will not be able to go with them on the hunt.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Well that's a bummer! I hope they have a good time and I'm sorry I got things started on such a negative note!

Don't be sorry. It was a good thing to let us know about. We didn't really have any idea.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Jared,

I hope they get a nice buck antelope and I hope the info I supplied helped. Post some pics when the hunt is over.

RJK

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom