Your trophies

Aceman

To some of you older hunting gentlemen like myself, I am curious as to what will be the fate of your hunting trophies - the ole joke is the kids will put them in a yard sale for a few dollars. Like most of you I have some I am proud of but they are my memories not my kids. I hope to be around here for some time to come but I look at all the horns on the wall and guess I will leave that to the family. Oh I still plan on adding more to the collection - have a buck tag this year.

aceman

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-15 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]Most of my trophies are the memories and visual images in my mind. The other stuff isn't spectacular enough for anyone of my family to have much interest in them, so I'm guessing they'll find their way to a knife handle, dog toy, or an antler buyer. I'll hang on them, to remind me of the "good times", after I'm outta here................C'est La Vie!

The only reason I kept them to begin with was to bring back the memories, I've never consider them anything more than very personal/family experiences.

My photo images are very nearly as important to me as my mounts/hides/antlers and some of those are flowers, rocks, snow, cactus, trees, retiles, sun rises/sets, and really special people. All memory triggers. Good ones, for the most part!

DC

I'm lucky to have a bunch. I remember coming home from school one day when i was in 5th or 6th grade and noticed that about half of my near dozen blacktail racks were missing. I thought maybe a neighborhood kid had taken them from their special place in our garage.

When Dad got home, he fessed up that he had given away MY horns to a friend who had asked him for some. Antlers meant little to my Dad, he was a meat hunter pure through, so he had a hard time understanding why i was absolutely ready to go to war with him over him giving MY sets away to somebody else. Somehow, i survived the day but never saw those racks again!

Here in Cali, we can get two deer a year over the counter and i must have near 20 outa state hunts mostly in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I got mine, always held out for the better bucks but to date, have not really gotten the monster i see glimpses of occasionally in my dreams.

They are worth nothing monetarily, can't sell antler in Cali, yet for some reason back to a early age, they and the full memories that each and every set brings, are beyond priceless to me.

PS, I might have one or two drops around here but i'm from a different generation when drops were plentiful, even big ones, to find yet nobody i knew actually took them home.

2Lumpy, Going fishing Sat.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I am still rather young (37) so hopefully this will be many decades away. However, most likely my kids will sell racks to some antler guy and the mounts will go to some store. I may put in my will that the head mounts go to some store, dow office or something for education. Better than having them thrown out. :/

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My first and only bull ive killed was a small 4x5. I moved to college and dad chucked the horns cause they were taking up space in the shed...

The trophy room moUnts will probably cause friction between the boys as they fight over them. The few hundred racks in the garage(since they are illegal to sell in chit hole Kalifornicated) will probably be donated to the local ground squirrel population.

I'm hoping my kids' memories of some of them will be of me telling them about past hunts and how I had to walk 10 miles both in the snow, barefooted to hunt & haul them all out. And how on a cpl of them, their grandpa offered words of encouragement like, "what the heck were you shooting at", "shoot that retarded one still standing there", etc.

My trophies are for me. I'm sure mine will be gone shortly after my passing.

I would rather the family donate them to some place where they would be enjoyed rather than sell them at a yard sale which they might do.

I would be OK if they went to a Moose Lodge or sporting goods to be displayed.

As a practical matter my wife doesn't like them and my sons like them but don't really have a place to put them.

I have also instructed my family that when last days are near to put my trophies on the walls around me so in my last periods of consciousness I can see them one last time.

Also, put my 357 Smith and a box of ammo in the casket with me. I know that if I go to the right place everything I need will be provided but I may not be going to the right place. LOL

My grandfather (84) sure got a chuckle out of me, my dad, and my uncle taking a 4 hour drive just to look for sheds... He said they used to find big deer sheds all the time in the 60's and 70's, but nobody ever bothered to pick them up, no matter how big they were. He never so much as hung a rack on his carport, just threw all his deer racks out in a pile next to his shed for years and years... One day in the 80's he noticed that someone had taken a few of his racks, so, in an effort to deter anyone from coming into is yard again, he chucked the rest of them...

I recently did a Euro Mount of a buck he killed with a Muzzy about 20 years ago. A big 3x2. Its the only set of antlers of any deer he ever killed that he still has. He appreciated what I had done, for memories sake. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

The family trophies of the 50's and 60's went to the dump and the hides were sold to Mednick's Salvage and Hide company in Richfield for $1.00 which was located near where the USDA Goverment building is now. My buffalo is in my brothers cabin and my biggest deer is in the storage shed, oh but the memories, to heck with an opening morning trophy. My wife shot a couple of very nice buck, one of which made Muley Crazy. She didn't want to mount them, so we have a few horns sitting around waiting for the grand kids to want them, because the kids don't want them hanging in their house either.

I guess we're all different, but I really don't want to sell them, so I store them.

Lumpy forgets that many of those memories are shared. I'm pretty sure his boys will have a bare knuckle match or two over who gets those visual memory triggers!

I Plan to leave nothing for the boys to fight over. Nothing worse then material things breaking up a family. With that said I hope to have conversations with all of my children between now and when I pass to see if anything I have is of value to them. If so they can have it. The horns are a few less as all of my deer horns were stolen a few years ago. I don't want to burden my family with my stuff so they just might all have to go to the horn buyer when I hang up the guns.

DZ

I've often pondered the same. I hope my son (11 y/o) will some day add them to his own collection and use those trophies to think of me when I was young, romping through the hills. Also, to remember the hunts we went on together. To me its all about the memories, for me and him. Little flashes of time, cold frosty mornings, sunrises and sunsets, coon blood and that 20 ga. that kicked too hard. Sheds we've picked up,empty shotgun shells, Salmon, Spotted Bass, Catfish and crayfish. Euro Mounts, Turkey feathers, Turtle shells. Kill and catch Photos, bones, feathers and skin, all memories, flashes in time.Good times.

I'm pretty sure mine are headed to the dump or given away to who ever wants them. I'm not sure who would want them, now that I think about it.

Funny thing I noticed recently. I used to look at all my horns or antlers and could recall the hunt on each and every one of them. Now that's only true with about half of them. It's been bothering me too. I got rid of a few sets of deer antlers because I can't remember anything about them

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Mine will all be cherished my family, just like I'm with theirs. Had a non hunting friend who had purchased some heads and wanted me to hang them in my home. No thanks.

Good thread this really got me thinking, I just counted them 39 mounts in my trophy room. I know my kids won't want any of them I have no idea where they will end up.

Corn. How in the heck do you find time to hunt in the fall when you are the president of the local teachers union? Solidarity Now! Just kidding

I have two deer that are 30" deer that are great mounts and are eligible for the muzzleloader record book. I have two antelope that are beautiful mounts. One is in the PY book and the other could be in the long hunter book. I have an Elk mount that is in a store and is insured for 6000 dollars by the store. My daughters elk is in the same store and also insured for 6000. After I am gone I told a friend to get the ones in my house out as soon as he can because my wife would throw them away. I would hope that my son would like to do something with them but who knows. I will be gone and I won't care.

Well!

I Don't have any!

Still Trying though!

You got any of them Beautiful Sturgeons on the Wall Ron?

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

>I'm pretty sure mine are headed
>to the dump or given
>away to who ever wants
>them. I'm not sure who
>would want them, now that
>I think about it.
>
>Funny thing I noticed recently. I
>used to look at all
>my horns or antlers and
>could recall the hunt on
>each and every one of
>them. Now that's only true
>with about half of them.
>It's been bothering me too.
>I got rid of a
>few sets of deer antlers
>because I can't remember anything
>about them
>
>Eel
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>
Eel, too late for you but one thing I learned from my Dad is he writes down a short summary each fall of the season's hunts. I took it one step farther and write about a 2-10 page story of each hunt. Length obviously depends on length of hunt and what all happened. I basically write it down so I have something to read when I get older to myself and grandkids :)

Mntman

The ones I keep inside are euro or skull capped. They'll go outside for the birds and squirrels like most of my antlers.

My father passed away rather young his 2 bull elk mounts you will have to ripp out of my dead hands the thought of tossing them never crossed my mind. After I am gone who knows but til then they hang proudly in my front room

They should bring in a few bucks ( :) ) for the wife when I pass. I keep getting letters from my life insurance company to renew my policy now to keep the rates lower later on. Head mount and antler sales should pay for someone to fry my a$$. I'll let the policy lapse...

In the meantime, I relive hunts all the time when sitting below all those trophies while in the den. Trophies are about memories!

>>I'm pretty sure mine are headed
>>to the dump or given
>>away to who ever wants
>>them. I'm not sure who
>>would want them, now that
>>I think about it.
>>
>>Funny thing I noticed recently. I
>>used to look at all
>>my horns or antlers and
>>could recall the hunt on
>>each and every one of
>>them. Now that's only true
>>with about half of them.
>>It's been bothering me too.
>>I got rid of a
>>few sets of deer antlers
>>because I can't remember anything
>>about them
>>
>>Eel
>>
>>It's written in the good Book
>>that we'll never be asked
>>to take more than we
>>can. Sounds like a good
>>plan, so bring it on!
>>
>>
>>
>Eel, too late for you but
>one thing I learned from
>my Dad is he writes
>down a short summary each
>fall of the season's hunts.
>I took it one step
>farther and write about a
>2-10 page story of each
>hunt. Length obviously depends on
>length of hunt and what
>all happened. I basically write
>it down so I have
>something to read when I
>get older to myself and
>grandkids :)
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>

Years ago I would have said that's kind of a silly idea, but now I think that's a really great idea. Attach a short story to each set of antlers/horns. I'm going to do that with the remainder. Someone in the future may find it interesting (including me:)). Thanks Mntman.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

>>Eel, too late for you but
>>one
>>
>>Mntman
>>
>>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>>
>
>Years ago I would have said
>that's kind of a silly
>idea, but now I think
>that's a really great idea.
>Attach a short story to
>each set of antlers/horns. I'm
>going to do that with
>the remainder. Someone in the
>future may find it interesting
>(including me:)). Thanks Mntman.
>
>Eel
>
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>
You're welcome. Didn't mean to come across as rude as I reread what I wrote saying "too late for you".... lol

Mntman

Somewhere in the ashes is all my trophies (and hides and my dad's 60 year old bedroll and 5K of .50 bmg and my 2004 wide glide.

I don't have to worry about where to put them.

100_0747.jpg

My Uncle sold one Grand Slam to Sportsmans Warehouse and gave the other Grand Slam to his boys. He sold most of the elk and Buffalo, Kudu etc to Sportsmans.

>Somewhere in the ashes is all
>my trophies (and hides and
>my dad's 60 year old
>bedroll and 5K of .50
>bmg and my 2004 wide
>glide.
>
>I don't have to worry about
>where to put them.
>
>
>
>
100_0747.jpg

Sorry to hear/see that feddoc!

It is a thought that passes through a Guys Mind though!

The Wide Glide & them 50's can be replaced!

But there are many items there Ain't no way in Hell can be replaced!

How the Hell you put a Price on that?

Must of been Quite a Fireworks Display for the Fire Fighters Huh fed?

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

>Well!
>
>I Don't have any!
>
>Still Trying though!
>
>You got any of them Beautiful
>Sturgeons on the Wall Ron?
>

We cant keep them :(
I do have them on the computer wall though.

Sturg55_zps6376e959.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-15 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]I love the idea of writing down yearly hunting reports...I'll number the racks that are attached to the story or include the pic and start doing just that. Every big shed I find or animal I kill goes to the boy that was with me at the time. Luckily I have 4 sons and they are every bit as passionate as I am when it comes to the hills. The times when all the boys are with me I try to even it out. I'm probably a bit extreme but every day off, every sunday after church, every possible moment when I'm not working, were in the hills! I do have some incredible trophies both by memory standards and score. Thanks for the post!
573620150506112447.jpg

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

>
>Sorry to hear/see that feddoc!
>
>It is a thought that passes
>through a Guys Mind though!
>
>
>The Wide Glide & them 50's
>can be replaced!
>
>But there are many items there
>Ain't no way in Hell
>can be replaced!
>
>How the Hell you put a
>Price on that?
>
>Must of been Quite a Fireworks
>Display for the Fire Fighters
>Huh fed?
>
The .50s didn't do anything. I had 4 sets of oxy/acetylene rigs that made things a bit interesting.

As Deerlove said, this is a very good question.
I have a son that loves to hunt, but he is collecting his own fine trophies. His sisters will probably let him have his pick.
I am hoping a few of mine, especially my sheep will hang around long after I have passed on.
I also have a few book heads that should fetch some money from someone. But no one will appreciate them like I do.

Much agreed. I would say the word VALUE and write it at the bottom of the page.
Then above it at the top of the page.
Below it single out a trophy like a big mule deer you shot.

What is his cost

time consumed
(Keep in mind you time alive is free it was given to you when you will born and the end of it you have very little control-Value?
License $360
guide $3500
transportation $367
equipment purchases $2000
Taxidermy $800

Return on that investment:
memories
knowledge
mount for the wall and conversations with friends over it
taking on a task and completing it successfully.

As you see, when you die and your airs get your trophies you have taken most of the value out of it.

That is why selling them unless they are a record book animal provides minimal income.

Enjoy the hunt from the downs to the up, because you are on the clock spending your money on what you enjoy the most, and that is why things above break out above the way they do.
Greg Merriam
Senior Hunt Locator & Hunt Planner
Master Hunt Broker
Master Land Owner Voucher Broker
Discounted Hunts LLC
Outdoor Writers LLC
Pro-Staff Dead Down Wind Scent Products
Pro-Staff Benchmaster Shooting Accuracy Products
1204 Button Rock Drive
Longmont, Co 80504
303-776-7528 Voice
303-746-1214 Cell Phone
Email: [email protected]
Web Page: http://www.discountedhunts.net
Web Page: http://www.ColoradoElkHuntingOutfitters.com/
Utube: Discounted Hunts
Web Page for Vouchers This is the Link to the land Owner Voucher List

Guilty. When we moved mom last year, the horns of dads got sold. A few I was there for, but I really didn't care about horns. On my A bolt is dads sling. Thats how I carry him with me every year.

As for my horns, most I do nothing with, they usually end up with the capes. The three bulls on the walls mean little to my boys, they weren't there.

My picture of my then six year old laying on my lap sleeping in a meadow during the elk hunt, and him and his four year old brother, face painted up, out hunting ducks are the two most important trophies I have. And yeah I think they will be fought over some day.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Yes, value is in the eye of the beholder.
Greg Merriam
Greg Merriam
Master Hunt Broker
Master Land Owner Voucher Broker
Discounted Hunts LLC
Outdoor Writers LLC
Pro-Staff Dead Down Wind Scent Products
Pro-Staff Benchmaster Shooting Accuracy Products
1204 Button Rock Drive
Longmont, Co 80504
303-776-7528 Voice
303-746-1214 Cell Phone
Email: [email protected]
Web Page: http://www.discountedhunts.net
Web Page for Vouchers This is the Link to the land Owner Voucher List

I am considering joining my trophys some day or at least 29 of them. I think what is called the North American Super Slam is incomplete being, that people are animals too.Homo Erectus or Homo Sapiens migrated here to America about 16,000 years ago. And I view animals as equals to people. So as a collector of animals, a collection is incomplete with out a Hominid.I plan on trying my best to not be taken by an animal or another Hominid but to die of old age. For now I plan on donating my collection with me included to a museum or building one on a piece of land I own.Replacing my blood with formaldehyde and rotting in a concrete box in the ground doesnt sound right to me. I plan on being plasticized rather than taxidermied similar to the Body Worlds exhibits. For me I would just as soon have my body made into a piece of artwork and put on display or in storage along with some of the animals I have slain. We too are game animals. I think because we were such easy prey, evolution forced us to become runners, organized and sapient to survive.Frankly, I dont think we gained the upper hand as predators until we developed weapons.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom