16B late archery pack out recommendation

drhodes

Looking for a recommendation for a standby outfit to pack an elk out of 16B for the second archery season. Just in case I am successful, and I get myself into a bind. Thanks

Are you Planning on hiking in on foot and hunting on foot? If so id highly advise against it . It can be done but a lot of folks try this and end up losing meat thinking they can pack a bull out 7 miles on their backs in that country . If you dont believe me ask BUGLEMIN he will tell you all you need to know and set you in the right direction to have a packer in place not in case you get in a bind .

the country is brutal there not meant for foot hunting and hauling . Id hate to see you shoot a bull and lose all the meat as a hunter that is not ethical behavior so that is why im warning you against it or stay 3 miles from the parking lot

there is a gentleman by the Name BJ Nation that lives in Cruzville (sp) between Reserve and Apache Creek. He is has a packing biz.

All the Outfitters I know are really busy, to busy to be standing by. I can shoot you p.m. With some people who may be able to help you.
Bobby is spot on. Best way to not find yourself in a bind is to not put yourself in one. Many hunter on this forum have reached out every year with advice regarding this unit. Every year we still find animals without a head and one hind quarter rotting. The country is beautiful and at the same time is unbelievably hard. The best way to ensure that you have the best experience and not have to worry about an animal spoiling is spending a little money on a drop camp. It's not much more than what most will charge to pack out an elk.
Other option is exactly what Bobby mentioned, don't get further than a few miles no matter what you see or hear,and do not cross any major drainage because it's not gonna be fun climbing out of there in the head and racing against the clock.
Try the guy mentioned above if he does pack out only. Good luck

Yup i'm going to hunt the north side of B on foot. I'm going to try to stay within 3 miles of the road. Hopefully I can find something in there. I did the sergents a few years back and pulled a bull out on foot. Didn't want to see another elk for a few years.

Thanks for the information. I would appriciate any leads you could p.m. My buddy hunted it a few years ago and stayed pretty close to the road. He said some guy was driving up and down offering up his pack out services, but i wanted to have some info beforehand just in case. I plan on sticking close to the road to make sure I don't kill myself or end up SOL looking like one of the a-holes you described.

Yeah i loaded up all four quarters and the head on a game cart and pushed that bugger all the way back to the parking lot. Thankfully it was only about three miles back in there, but it was a SOB for sure. I shoulda just paid the rancher a few bucks who was driving back and forth on the road, but I wanted to test myself...lol

Your best option is to talk to folks at the trailheads with stock during the hunt. You can usually find someone that will do it. Problem with the Gila is there is no service and nothing close. Even if you can call someone it would probably take them to the next day to get there. Best just to offer up some money to someone who is already there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom