20 le points what to do

P

polejockey

Both my wife and daughter are up to 20 bonus points elk trying to decide what apply for . If you were in this position what would do . Obviously this is a once in a lifetime chance I don't wat to waste them! I have decided that if they both drew I would turn one tag back and retain bonus point to be able to have another year to go again. Got too many years invested to squander! Not counting money!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-15 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]I assume utah?
Put in for where "YOU" want to hunt. 20 points will get you almost any tag in the state, even the best units you will still be right in the bonus tags, or really close. If I had 20 points for two people in the family............San Juan early for one and San Juan premium for the other, if not both in the premium. But I hunt muzzy and archery, not sure if those are options. I am sure what ever you decide you will be hunting elk this year. 20 points is a lot, with that said, don't get caught up on score alone. Waiting around for another 2-5 years may cost you another 15 to draw another tag of something else. Not saying just burn them, but look down the road, do they want to hunt another elk, or get a LE Deer tag.
I got sick of the waiting game and burned my elk points and killed a bull I am happy with. That let me start putting in for LE Deer, and I snuck in the back door and drew a Henry's Deer tag 3 years later! I know I got lucky, but if I was waiting around for 10 more years for the best tag due to a score, I would still be waiting with 20 plus points for elk and have nothing on the wall and no memories. Instead I have two animals, one on the wall and one getting officially measured tonight for B.C????

Good luck on whatever you decide, and I hope you have the problem of " which tag do I turn back in."

First off, congratulations..!! You are officially an MM legend, having 20 LE Elk points for two people and still not knowing where to put in for... :)

So, let's see. Best Early Rifle tags they would be guaranteed:

Book Cliffs/BitterCreek South, Book Cliffs Roadless, Dutton, and Boulder. There are quite a few "lesser" units you could draw with the Early Rifle tag. Fishlake saw several great bulls taken last year for example.

The San Juan has 9 Bonus Tags for Early Rifle. There are at least 13 people that put in with 20 points last year, meaning they have 21 points this year- so your family will not be in the bonus tags for that hunt.

The Monroe has 4 Bonus tags for Early Rifle. There are at least 17 other people that will be putting in this year with 20 points for that hunt (those who didn't draw last year with 19). So you would likely be in the bonus tag pool, and having 2 entries in that pool increases your odds of drawing 1 of them to somewhere around 40% I believe.

The Pahvant has 6 Bonus tags for Early Rifle. There are likely 8 people moving up from last year with 21 points now, so you would not be in the bonus tags for that unit.

The Beaver has 4 Bonus tags for Early Rifle. There are 11 people moving up from last year with 20 points now. So, your odds of drawing 1 tag there are better than the Monroe.

Now, let's talk Premium. This could be an exceptional year to have a Premium tag. It is looking like the Muzzy hunt will be better situated within the rut. With a Premium tag, you would get to chase bulls through both the Rifle and Muzzy hunts, likely for the entire duration of the rut. Luckily, with 20 points there are some Premium tags you'd be a lock to get:

Book Cliffs, Bitter Creek/South, Mt. Dutton, Fishlake, and there's always the Wasatch (Close to home).

If I had a wife and daughter with 20 points, I'd be putting in for the Premium tag in the Book Cliffs. I know the area well, have seen success by friends on both the Muzzy and Rifle hunts, and the access is almost unmatched by any other unit. While a true giant bull (360" or better) would be a tall order, they are there. 330" to 350" bulls are solid bulls for the unit. And with a premium tag, you have a lot of time to find a big one. (Or 2 big ones, if you did it that way.)

So there's my 2 cents. Good luck no matter what you decide on. And good luck to your wife and daughter. I hope they kill some great bulls, and you all make some awesome memories. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

if you want to bust your A in some hellacious country that holds Big Bulls, Dutton premium would be my choice!

2a0fcsk.gif

Remember PoleJockey!

Anthro Ain't far away!:D

Sorry!

I know it Hurts!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Yes Utah resident I missed that part . I have been putting my daughter in since she turned twelve . She,s now 32 with four kids and a husband that couldn't care less about hunting! I knew if I left it upto her apply it wouldn't happen. So I continued applying. She would have max points but I had one tight year financially back when they wanted the money up front and couldn't swing it. Big bull would be nice but not all I'm looking at good family time tops my list. I have been putting in for San juan early been down there a few times and really liked the area. You say nine bonus tags last year with 13 applicants .seems like 9 would have drawn leaving 4 this year in max pool assuming things don't change to drastically seems like she should have a shot at the other 9 tags? I've read good things about the dutton but these old legs aren't what they used to be. Book cliffs is a lot closer to my part o Utah and I've hunted it before. But the people that know well say it's not up to what it used to be. I appreciate all your input to help, us to decide. I don't bowhunt anymore but the premium sounds interesting. Just don't want to blow her points and regret it!

Elk Love the anthro in its hey day but we all know it's not anything like it used to be . Hell I live in the anthro unit be an easy choice if was even apale shadow of what it used to be,

There Ain't None of the Units what they once were!

Will Ms M let you be the Trigger Man?:D:D:D

RAZZIN Ya K!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Last year there where 22 people with 20 points that applied and 48 with 19 for San Juan early rifle.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I apologize pole jockey. In regards to the San Juan, there were 22 people with 20 points last year. 9 of them got the 9 bonus tags, leaving 13 people who will this year have 21 points... That's what I meant to convey previously...

Boulder Mtn is some of the most beautiful country in Utah. Would be a great family trip. I think the Books is even better if you're wanting a good bull and a chance at everyone being able to watch it go down. Your daughter or your wife might be able to get a bull with the kids/grandkids in tow. But you won't want to hold out for a 400"...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Monroe muzzle hunt might be one to consider. Haven't looked at the odds. Beautiful country, lots of wheeler roads, easy country to hunt bugeling bulls. Books would be good also. They wont care if its a 330 bull or a 360 bull. They wont know the difference. Pick a fun hunt and go for it IMO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom