2007 apps

goldhunter

The lack of late season hunting for myself has got me thinking about next year already. I think I'm sitting pretty good for some good elk hunting in the next few years. I've got 11 points in Oregon and Colorado, 10 in Arizona and 7 in Utah (non-res in all). Most of my elk hunting in the past has been with a bow, so that's probably the way I would go to use my points.

I'm leaning towards Unit 61 in Colorado. Do you guys think it would be worth buying a land owner voucher this next year and then trying to draw the tag the following year? This would give me two years to capitalize on the points. Does the unit hold 350 class bulls?

Looks like Oregon (Wenaha) and Utah (one of the better LE units) are several years out yet. Any reason to believe otherwise?

Arizona is hard to anilize. Does anybody have a feeling for what the required points might be for the best archery hunts?

Thanks

61 has 350 bulls but very good luck would be needed on public ground . Do unit 10 in Az

Are you planning on hiring a outfitter for your hunt? 61 holds some 350 bulls but is a very large unit and a tough hunt if conditions aren't perfect! and for the price of what your going to pay for a Landowner permit you can get a good guided hunt in a unit that would provide you with a better chance at a 350 bull!! My brother is a taxidermist in Grand Junction and gotbetween 25-30 350 bulls in this year and not one came from 61 most came from unit 40 and 62...... let me know if you want some names of a couple outfitters who kill big bulls in Colorado... hope this helps......beartrap35

I have not used a guide in the past but would consider using one in the future. I will be more interested in using a guide in Arizona and Utah. When I finally get my shot in these States, it may be the last chance I get given the point systems and they provide for a chance in a lifetime type bulls.

In Colorado I would be happy to take something smaller than 350, but I'm not willing to pay for a landowner voucher unless there is that chance.

I've kinda set my goal at 350 because that is my biggest bull to date, Wyoming. I also feel that 300-330 type bulls can be found in a lot of units where you don't have to build points for 10+ years.

Your looking at $6000-$8000 for a landowner permit in unit 61 probably closer to $6000 for the archery permit!

GOLD - I agree that unit 62 in Colorado will give you a better chance at a 350 class bull. Also, be careful in Utah and keep in mind that some LE areas are also running a spike hunt at the same time as your LE hunt. It will definately affect the way you hunt these units. PM me and I can get you some more detailed information. You may also want to check out Huntodds.com. They do a great job with points and odds and you will be able to see just what your points will get you and when.

It's always an adventure!!!

Unit 62 over the counter is better than 61 with a required 11 or 12 points? Must be on private land. Even if this is an option I might take, I still have 11 PP's to use. If Colorado stays with the point banking rule, I would be willing to try some lower demand hunts.

Beartrap35 - I would appreciate the outfitter contacts, especially for unit 40. I've heard this is a good unit but with mostly private land.

As far as Arizona goes do you guys think that changing the set aside for max point holders from 10 to 20 percent will significantly accellerate the draw rates for those high point holders? Being in that middle ground maybe I could draw sometime in the next 5 years.

Colorado 61 has some good bulls.But i dont think it is worth 6-8 thousand. This was a tough year,5 day season and wet,blizzard conditions.....

For the very best archery units in AZ you may be a few years out still, however, if you are willing to cash in your points, there are a number of units where you are almost certain to draw.

To put things in perspective, I drew a resident tag this fall with 6 bonus points in the 20% set aside. This was for a unit that you don't hear get talked about much and probably isn't considered one of the best units, however each day I was out, I saw Pope and Young caliber bulls. Never saw any of the big 400+ bulls that are out there, but plenty of good bulls. Point being, just about every unit is a good one.

PM or email me [email protected] if you'd like more ideas on AZ.

Nick

Heat,

Thanks for the reply. I know there are many good units in Arizona. In fact I hunted unit 27 11 yrs ago and one of the 6 units two years before that. Both were excellent hunts, lots of good bulls. I would say 27 is as good as it gets except maybe the top end bulls are hard to come by. Had bulls walking right through camp every night and worked several bulls every day.

I used to hunt elk at least every year, sometimes two states per year. In fact the year I hunted 27 I also hunted 16b in NM. Since then, married, kids and new business. Hoping to get part way back to my former self without loosing the wife and kids. Money I'll sacrifice.

Anyway that is how I built the points. Hope to have some good hunts over the next half a dozen years or so. Not in a race, so I can be patient for the right draw. I actually liked the late application period in Arizona. By June I had a pretty good idea how my fall would shake out. I'm in a construction related business.

Thanks again, I'll PM you in the next day or two.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom