2023 Central and Southern Utah Horn Growth

Togwotee

Long Time Member
Anyone think there's going to be better than average animals this fall due to the above average moisture? or do they normally have all that's required anyway.

Hey 440!

It Might Be Better In Places!

The Rain Has Been Spotty!

Feed Has Looked Good In The Areas I've Been So Far!

No!

They Don't Always Have What It Takes For Full Potential!

But Maybe This Year They Will!

I was in the high country on Saturday on the Wasatch front and saw several bucks that looked really good. Only had my binos and still a bit early to tell what they will be when finished but they had a solid start.

I will, I was just curious if there might be a little better development this year. I know I'm not going to come close to the bull I took in Utah 20+ years ago but hoping for the best.

I agree, the new elk plan makes waiting any longer a losers bet.

Was back up again this morning-it is about as green as I have ever seen it with dense foliage. Lots of snow still in some north facing areas as well.
IMG_3751.jpeg

What do you think?

I think antler growth will be better this year but we are all just guessing ??‍♂️ if you have a tag, it is a great year to get after it (as is every year)!

Last week the Monroe Unit was not lush above 8,500 feet, but it was still 26 F, so I would expect it to green up better still. It hasn’t seen much moisture for the last 30 days however.

I can say this however, our winter range this coming fall, should be excellent. Our sage is as green and lush as I’ve seen it since the mid 1980’s.

Those critters had to use a lot of their energy reserves in many areas last winter just to get by. That gives them less energy at the start to put into antler growth. This year, they may put more energy from the current lush feed into their recovery rather than using it to grow antlers. Many bulls are done growing the end of this month and their summer range was covered in snow much later (some still is).

They should go into this winter in great shape and then, if the following winter is average, next year they will have the energy reserves to grow exceptional antlers/horns right from the start.

The Feed Conditions This Year Are Like What Normal Used To Be!

Yes!

It's Better Than It's Been In Many Years!

But One Good Winter Doesn't Fix Everything In One Year!
I thought one good winter was gonna fill Lake Powell to the brim. Are we there yet?

Hey dude!

Don't Turn The Tag Back!

Go Hunt!

Things Ain't Getting Better!
They grow what they grow, it is what it is. Might as well worry about the things we can control and just go hunt.

Anyone who turns a tag in because they think it isn't a good year for antler growth needs their blue card revoked and trigger finger cut off.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom